Hell no
25 (18%)
Only if you have no life
37 (26.6%)
Yes(I have no life)
65 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: January 23, 2011, 02:41:22 am

Author Topic: Is retiring actually worth it?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
Re: Is retiring actually worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:03 pm »
Retirement no where near worth it (unless if you misplaced more than 3 levels worth of points)

In this example I am starting with the stats

Level 33
Weapon Master 5
Raw WPP  =  620
Exp to get here = 7.6 million

I am examining how you might spend your next 7.6 million EXP   --- with  retire and without.
The way exp is set up - Doubling your EXP gives you 4 more levels.

WITH RETIRE:

6.7 million experience in the hole               (you save 800K exp due to faster leveling)
31 wpp points extra to spend                    (this is 5% of 620.  By the time you grind 7.5 million exp your actual WPP will be ~6 points higher - lame)
~5%  more weapon damage                     (Heirloomed. Dont forget the good chance your weapon will have higher requirements)

WITHOUT RETIRE:

What 7.6 million EXP will do for you if you do NOT reset

4 levels higher                                        (meaning more hp and agility)
40-210  more wpp                                  (depending on how you spend your attribute and skill points. Note that your actual WP could be ~30 points higher)
8-21% more weapon damage                (depending on you you spend your attribute and skill points  and your weapon type)

VERDICT:

Retirement is nothing more than a character reset with a tiny compensation.
Each time you do it you will DAMAGE YOUR CHARACTER.

NOTES:

I got in an argument with my friend on this. He made the case that because benefits stack you can eventually dig yourself out of the hole. So I did some rough math which shows about 9 character resets before you break even and 12 before it is paying off to every extent.
  By pay off I mean your character is finally better than the other guy who plays just as much as you that didn't reset.

Our conclusion was that while Yes, technically I was wrong and that resetting CAN pay off.... you have to purpose build your character through those 9 resets in order to heirloom. This makes his stats so fucked up you can't really play your character for a long long time... and for what ?   A slight advantage 10 (TEN) resets later.   I'll pass.   If you have no life have at it!

UPDATE :  I get word leveling after 30 is quite different after update.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:29:06 pm by Kharn »
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »
AS mouse have shown the fastest way to reach lvl 35 is through 6 retirements.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1156.0.html
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:56 pm »
Kharn...

Edit: saw your update. But yeah, that is all incredibly out of date.

For example, that xp count you gave will get you near level 31, but not quite there yet.  Not level 33.  And heirlooms don't have increase requirements.  And there is no extra weapon proficiency for retiring.  Wake up, man.

As to the main point, the fun is the purpose of retirement.  For throwing, heirlooming is incredibly useful in my opinion (an extra shot per slot is huge).  Plus, a masterwork weapon is way cooler than a normal one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:33:01 pm by Braeden »

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »
Well... now that he is forcing us to retire at 30 pretty much.

So from what I am reading its best to reset 10 times or so and then take the trek past level 30?
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
You only get retirement benefits retiring at level 31 ;)

Retirement is no longer something to be grinded for amazing benefits.  Now it is just a thing to be grinded if you get bored for small benefits.  It also no longer gives an exponential benefit, simply a 10% bonus.

I guess what I'm trying to say is with 20 retirements you'd still have to play like a thousand hours to hit 35.  So don't plan on it.  Just play.

Offline Jason

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:32 pm »
you'd still have to play like a thousand hours to hit 35.  So don't plan on it.  Just play.

41 days straight and you can be lvl 35!  Great LOL

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
Retirement no where near worth it (unless if you misplaced more than 3 levels worth of points)

In this example I am starting with the stats

Level 33
Weapon Master 5
Raw WPP  =  620
Exp to get here = 7.6 million

I am examining how you might spend your next 7.6 million EXP   --- with  retire and without.
The way exp is set up - Doubling your EXP gives you 4 more levels.

WITH RETIRE:

6.7 million experience in the hole               (you save 800K exp due to faster leveling)
31 wpp points extra to spend                    (this is 5% of 620.  By the time you grind 7.5 million exp your actual WPP will be ~6 points higher - lame)
~5%  more weapon damage                     (Heirloomed. Dont forget the good chance your weapon will have higher requirements)

WITHOUT RETIRE:

What 7.6 million EXP will do for you if you do NOT reset

4 levels higher                                        (meaning more hp and agility)
40-210  more wpp                                  (depending on how you spend your attribute and skill points. Note that your actual WP could be ~30 points higher)
8-21% more weapon damage                (depending on you you spend your attribute and skill points  and your weapon type)

VERDICT:

Retirement is nothing more than a character reset with a tiny compensation.
Each time you do it you will DAMAGE YOUR CHARACTER.

NOTES:

I got in an argument with my friend on this. He made the case that because benefits stack you can eventually dig yourself out of the hole. So I did some rough math which shows about 9 character resets before you break even and 12 before it is paying off to every extent.
  By pay off I mean your character is finally better than the other guy who plays just as much as you that didn't reset.

Our conclusion was that while Yes, technically I was wrong and that resetting CAN pay off.... you have to purpose build your character through those 9 resets in order to heirloom. This makes his stats so fucked up you can't really play your character for a long long time... and for what ?   A slight advantage 10 (TEN) resets later.   I'll pass.   If you have no life have at it!

UPDATE :  I get word leveling after 30 is quite different after update.

You can retire at 31 not 33, and yes i highly doubt you would get to 37 with 7.6 milion xp * 2, which is not even level 32 anyway. It's still pretty fast, it's worth doing 3 times at least, after 31 leveling up is very slow and it would take you 2 months to get to 35 (or something like that) so both the xp bonus and the heirloom bonus are good in the long run. Then once you hit 35 you won't level up anytime soon, so the more you heirloom the better in the end, since you can't level up after 35 anyway. It's 3 weeks of retiring to be better in 2 months + 3 weeks instead of being better for 3 weeks in 2 months and then having no chance to catch up.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:44 pm »
to hit 35.  So don't plan on it.  Just play.

You don't understand Braeden.  We finally for once have an effective level CAP!!!!  My OCD demands I must get my characters to max level.  It's not a question of want to, but HAVE TO.

I wish I was kidding.  lol
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Jason

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »
You can get to 2 lvl 85's in Wow faster than you can get to lvl 35 in this CRPG. 

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:10 pm »
I only gamed like 4 days and got to lvl 27  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:15 pm »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:33 pm »
 :wink:
You don't understand Braeden.  We finally for once have an effective level CAP!!!!  My OCD demands I must get my characters to max level.  It's not a question of want to, but HAVE TO.

I wish I was kidding.  lol

Retiring is evil and I am addicted to it even tho everything I heirloom keeps getting needed hard lol I think I retire just to retire I do miss the rename tho I felt like I was building. A family tree
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Tungsten

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 01:24:33 am »
:wink:
Retiring is evil and I am addicted to it even tho everything I heirloom keeps getting needed hard lol I think I retire just to retire I do miss the rename tho I felt like I was building. A family tree
Have you tried not heirlooming something that's overpowered?

That might help with that problem :)
Tungsten_ATS

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 01:47:36 am »
I recommend not retiring until the patches settle down with the Item changes. After that, go for it.
Pock gobblers

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:58 am »
I recommend not retiring until the patches settle down with the Item changes. After that, go for it.

This is actually quite true... However, it is hard to say when things have "settled"...
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.