Author Topic: fix morning star?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: fix morning star?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »
The mornning star can be used on a horse... now with 38 pierce... this gets scary... The speed bonus makes the weapon rather deadly then.

I am ok with the unbalanced.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:53:44 pm »
Morningstar has pierce so it is powerful.
IF you ask why morningstars are unbalanced question would be why are all those short 2h axes unbalanced.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 06:56:14 pm »
Doesn't it have bonus damage to shields? Pretty much every weapon that isn't a 1handed axe and has bonus damage to shield is unbalanced, yeah?

false. all polearm shieldbreakers are NOT UNBALANCED. only exception the great long bardiche.

I agree that the discrepancy between Morningstar and Bec de Corbin doesn't make much sense. OTOH, it does seem unfair that polearms have high-tier shieldbreakers that you can also duel with and 2h does not.

I would be in favour of removing unbalanced from the lower-tier shieldbreakers. I would say all, but by my own logic that would necessitate balanced GLB and such, which would be just ridicusilly.

I suppose the question is: would a balanced morning star be good enough to make all 2hers use it?

As it is, there are relatively few MS users and I seriously doubt that a balanced morningstar would be enough to tempt all the lolstabbers (myself included, to both my shame and glee) away.

well i will surely loom it if the unbalanced stat is removed.

removing crushthru (de facto deleting my old STR morningstar build) and compensating with low shield breaking bonus (axes and poleaxes have more shieldbreaking bonus) was not a fair deal.

but it's logically unbalanced because most of the weight is at the end of the weapon and is wielded at the grip (near the base).

taking how it's wielded have a similar reach of the bec de corbin but it lacks (obviously) the thrust and the ability to feint it. (obviously see above.)

a Mighty Morningstar with enough PS (say 7-8) can still 1hit kill all the STR+plate helm builds with a good head smash.

i would love to see it crushblocking again  8-)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:06:08 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
Just take a look at it... that's why it's unbalanced.  :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:05:02 pm »
it has a giant steel ball on the end of it!!! but i can't see why polearm axes aren't unbalanced...

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »
it has a giant steel ball on the end of it!!! but i can't see why polearm axes aren't unbalanced...

because poleaxes and polearm axes are wield with a hand on the middle. giving it room to stop it at mid-air.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »
because poleaxes and polearm axes are wield with a hand on the middle. giving it room to stop it at mid-air.
but the length fom the furthest hand on a GLA to the end of the weapon is just as long as the length of the furthest hand of a morningstar to the end of the weapon.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »
but the length fom the furthest hand on a GLA to the end of the weapon is just as long as the length of the furthest hand of a morningstar to the end of the weapon.

but you wield it with the fulcrum on the right hand while the left put additional force and can stop the swing. try it with a broom  :mrgreen:

EDIT:

and yes... i hate OP polearms too heh.

uhm i tried my uncle's training chinese halberd used to train in kung fu and tai chi quan and i sometime go in my garden with a two handed greatsword (seems like a sword of war) of pure stainless 4mm thick steel blade.

well the chinese training halberd even with his 185cm is by far more comfortable. the greatsword i have is really really hard to stop mid-air.

but im not a 80kgs medieval all-muscle warrior  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:29:28 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »
but you wield it with the fulcrum on the right hand while the left put additional force and can stop the swing. try it with a broom  :mrgreen:

EDIT:

and yes... i hate OP polearms too heh.
though the force helps to stabalize it, it still has a leverage working on it when swung, so it helps, but really difficult to handle

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »
though the force helps to stabalize it, it still has a leverage working on it when swung, so it helps, but really difficult to handle

that's why those polearm axes "should" (on paper) be slower. because by how it's wield, you trade speed for stability. 2handed grips give more speed because the wrist do the leverage job near the fulcrum. but is also harder to control if the weapon have the center mass at the opposite. swords instead have most of the weight near the hilt. so those can be swung with no drawbacks by the wrist.

polearms instead are not really balanced. is the wield that helps it.

forgive my bad english.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »
Mhh, bought a morning star on my 2h alt, it is a scary weapon as it is.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »
that's why those polearm axes "should" (on paper) be slower. because by how it's wield, you trade speed for stability. 2handed grips give more speed because the wrist do the leverage job near the fulcrum. but is also harder to control if the weapon have the center mass at the opposite. swords instead have most of the weight near the hilt. so those can be swung with no drawbacks by the wrist.

polearms instead are not really balanced. is the wield that helps it.

forgive my bad english.
don't think your english is bad, it's fine if english isn't your first language, english isn't my first language either.
back on topic, so maybe they should get a unbalanced factor, but not the one we have right now, because that one is to much of a nerf for them.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 08:32:15 pm »
forgive my bad english.
Your English is fine.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
don't think your english is bad, it's fine if english isn't your first language, english isn't my first language either.
back on topic, so maybe they should get a unbalanced factor, but not the one we have right now, because that one is to much of a nerf for them.

because in the beginning, the morningstar had crushthru ability. and believe me, back in november 2010 the scary morningstar (morningstar +2 with 41 pierce) had greatmaul-like crushthru potential. (weapon 4.5kgs with 11 powerstrike and 200wpf, no steel shield +3 was able to stop it bypassing the block).

that was WAY too overpowered because with that weapon speed (93)  was able to mantain block/hit/block sequence against all but katanas. and the 41 pierce with 11 powerstrike was a 1-2hit fest on plate tanks. (remember that pierce do x3 damage to the head instead x2 for cut and blunt... so by using only overhead swings, 1hit kills were more than often.)

the devs then removed crushthru ability (instead lowering it by lowering damage and weight) for the same reason they did later on barmace.

i know... polearms have the bec de corbin. it's a better "can-opener" than morningstar. polearms also have better shieldbreakers. but polearms lacks the best crushthru weapons (mallet and great maul... even the base maul is fine with 9PS) and the best dueling weapons.

a good thing we often forget, is that barmace and morningstar, by their heavy weight, often stuns the upper block on lighter weapons. so a good way to use them is to hold a overhead (to stun the block)and quickly release a right to left aided by waist turn.

i was thinking to retire a morningstar too someday. is really good with 24/15 or 27/12 builds.

Your English is fine.

well thanks. i just don't know how my english is. sometimes trolls troll my grammar.

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »
I agree that the discrepancy between Morningstar and Bec de Corbin doesn't make much sense. OTOH, it does seem unfair that polearms have high-tier shieldbreakers that you can also duel with and 2h does not.
On the other hand, a bec de corbin is almost twice as expensive as a morningstar.

i know... polearms have the bec de corbin. it's a better "can-opener" than morningstar. polearms also have better shieldbreakers. but polearms lacks the best crushthru weapons (mallet and great maul... even the base maul is fine with 9PS) and the best dueling weapons.
Both of the mentioned crushthrough weapons are of a very limited use in the battles. I'm not even saying that a long maul aka chupa-chups works much better, especially in pike fights because you can hold the line and not mix with the enemy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:55:23 pm by _JoG_ »