Author Topic: fix morning star?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
fix morning star?
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:27 am »
the reason its unbalanced ? explain and ill allow it to be kept...
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: fix morning star?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:13:21 am »
+1
Just because.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:22 am »
that's a lazy excuse....
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
High damage 2h pierce?

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:44 am »
Doesn't it have bonus damage to shields? Pretty much every weapon that isn't a 1handed axe and has bonus damage to shield is unbalanced, yeah?
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:51:30 am »
o ya forgot about that it just  feels more like a great maul swing wise than a great axe...

Offline Vivek

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legion_Aurelius
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:24 am »
Morning star is unbalanced, because its 2h light-lolhammer with piercing damage bonused to shields. It can knockdown and sometimes even crushtrough. That's the reason.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:15 am »
+2
Morning star is unbalanced, because its 2h light-lolhammer with piercing damage bonused to shields. It can knockdown and sometimes even crushtrough. That's the reason.

Hmm, yeah right. Morningstar lost the ability to crushthrough like... 3 months ago or something ? And as a pierce weapon, it could never knockdown.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:32:08 am »
+1
Because the morningstar is the only weapon I can think of that can allows a full strength build to oneshot anything outside of the heavy horses.

High pierce, decent speed (enough that you will never be outspammed), a little short (main balancing factor here), completely wrecks shields in no time at all, unbalanced so don't try a lot of feinting - all this adds up to a great weapon for a full strength build to go oneshotting, in my opinion. It also makes a pretty satisfying sound when you hit someone with it.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »
You don't even need a strength build to one-shot everything with it. My build is 21/15, yet I can stand on a bridge with a little bit of armor on and swing away killing everything that came.  No blocking needed, because everyone died in the first hit.  This included someone who had at least 19 strength (last I checked) wearing an armlet, vaegir elite armor, etc, basically someone wearing semi-heavy armor with okay hit points. 

Morning star is easy mode.
-idlewind

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
Because the morningstar is the only weapon I can think of that can allows a full strength build to oneshot anything outside of the heavy horses.
Bec de corbin, anyone? :D
You don't even need a strength build to one-shot everything with it. My build is 21/15, yet I can stand on a bridge with a little bit of armor on and swing away killing everything that came.  No blocking needed, because everyone died in the first hit.  This included someone who had at least 19 strength (last I checked) wearing an armlet, vaegir elite armor, etc, basically someone wearing semi-heavy armor with okay hit points. 
2 good solid hits for the guys in ~30-35 body armor, 4+ hits for the guys in corrazina and higher. I have the same build.

Offline Quallen

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_Quallen
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »
well I actually kinda like that the morningstar is unique (shield breaking pierce) and balance wise its stats make sense. That said I think 2h does need a new specialized can opener or to have one of its blunt weapons made balanced to properly fill the role.

Doesn't it have bonus damage to shields? Pretty much every weapon that isn't a 1handed axe and has bonus damage to shield is unbalanced, yeah?

Yes, 2h shield breakers are unbalanced.  Polearms on the other hand has many shield breakers that are balanced. If you compare the 2h great axe to the polearm long axe they cost about the same, have roughly equivalent range (the long axe has more range right to left 113 vs 109, the great axe has more overhead 111 vs 100 and more left to right 113 vs 108) and the only thing the great axe has to show for its unbalanced tag is +1 speed and +1 cut damage. Obviously class balance isn't done around mid tier weapons but the fact that polearms have balanced shield breakers still is important. I'm not saying both weapon classes should be equivalent in that respect but at least give both of them balanced can openers.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:41:04 pm by Quallen »

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »
Hmm, yeah right. Morningstar lost the ability to crushthrough like... 3 months ago or something ? And as a pierce weapon, it could never knockdown.
long spiked mace has pierce damage and knockdown :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »
well I actually kinda like that the morningstar is unique (shield breaking pierce) and balance wise its stats make sense. That said I think 2h does need a new specialized can opener or to have one of its blunt weapons made balanced to properly fill the role.

Morningstar is fine. And its correct 2h lack some balanced blunt weapon without any other bonis.

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
I agree that the discrepancy between Morningstar and Bec de Corbin doesn't make much sense. OTOH, it does seem unfair that polearms have high-tier shieldbreakers that you can also duel with and 2h does not.

I would be in favour of removing unbalanced from the lower-tier shieldbreakers. I would say all, but by my own logic that would necessitate balanced GLB and such, which would be just ridicusilly.

I suppose the question is: would a balanced morning star be good enough to make all 2hers use it?

As it is, there are relatively few MS users and I seriously doubt that a balanced morningstar would be enough to tempt all the lolstabbers (myself included, to both my shame and glee) away.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp