Author Topic: Crossbow Needs love.  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
Re: Crossbow Needs love.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:58 am »
Cross bows are fine imo. I use a heavy xbow at 107 wpf and I like what it does for the investment I made. Slow projectile speed is alright since now archers got it too.. only thing I would like to see is bigger impact on reloading speed with wpf invested  :D.

Too bad the price is still so high my only concern is that these prices will reflect unto strategus and I will be with out an xbow =/

Give us passiv shields! then I will actually use a board shield like a true passive crossbow men!! I beg you chadz....add...this...shit!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:08:56 am by Fallen_CrassiusV2 »
On it.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 08:26:14 am »
I 100% agree with OP...

No, you don't. I have two points to make.

First, you resurrected an old thread that no longer applies, as xbows have been altered since the OP first made this post.

Second, xbows are now balanced against heirlooming. If you heirloom a sniper xbow and steel bolts 3 times each, you will have something close to what the sniper xbow did pre-patch. This is acceptable, imo, since having a lot of wpf makes reload time on the sniper xbow bearable, and much better than it was pre-patch. This is also a way to limit melee people from having the one-shot sniper xbow so easily, since a melee character is less likely to focus on heirlooming xbow + bolts.

Is it a difficult, time-consuming process to be a dedicated xbowman who is able to snipe people with 1 shot? Sure.

However, the payoff is that unlike a dedicated archer, a dedicated xbowman can more easily be competent in melee. OR, if you didn't want to participate in melee at all, a dedicated xbowman could have higher athletics than an archer, being able to outrun pretty much anyone not on horseback.

Just a quick build off the top of my head:

Level 30, STR: 14, AGI: 27

Ironflesh: 1
Athletics: 9
Weapon Master: 9
181 xbow proficiency

ADHD Version: Xbows are ok now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:47:14 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline SharpG

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »
No, you don't. I am the OP, and I don't agree with you. I have two points to make.

First, you resurrected an old thread that no longer applies, as xbows have been altered since I first made this post.

Second, xbows are now balanced against heirlooming. If you heirloom a sniper xbow and steel bolts 3 times each, you will have something close to what the sniper xbow did pre-patch. This is acceptable, imo, since having a lot of wpf makes reload time on the sniper xbow bearable, and much better than it was pre-patch. This is also a way to limit melee people from having the one-shot sniper xbow so easily, since a melee character is less likely to focus on heirlooming xbow + bolts.

Is it a difficult, time-consuming process to be a dedicated xbowman who is able to snipe people with 1 shot? Sure.

However, the payoff is that unlike a dedicated archer, a dedicated xbowman can more easily be competent in melee. OR, if you didn't want to participate in melee at all, a dedicated xbowman could have higher athletics than an archer, being able to outrun pretty much anyone not on horseback.

Just a quick build off the top of my head:

Level 30, STR: 14, AGI: 27

Ironflesh: 1
Athletics: 9
Weapon Master: 9
181 xbow proficiency

ADHD Version: Xbows are ok now.

Well considering the thread was nine days old I supposed people didn't want a new one and sorry about the 100% agree thing. Maybe if people would read my actual suggestion instead of just seeing the "Buff crossbows" part of it they'd understand. I'll put it in bold caps so people will read it this time.

-MAKE CROSSBOWS HAVE MORE REQUIREMENTS (NAMELY THE SNIPER CROSSBOW)
-MAKE THEM A VIABLE OPTION FOR A DEDICATED CLASS
-BY GIVING THEM MORE REQUIREMENTS THE 2H SPAMMERS NO LONGER CARRY THEM AS A SECONDARY WEAPON AND THE FEW DEDICATED CROSSBOWMEN DON'T GET PUNISHED.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:11:42 pm by SharpG »

Offline Greziz

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kerin__Grahm_BRD, Linden_BRD, secretary of BRD
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 07:37:07 am »
Crossbows haven't changed since I made this post the siege xbow still performs the same shitty 75 dmg. or was it 70 either way both are fucken trash for what it should be doing with its price I Like that the price is expensive fuck double it so a dedicated xbow can exist just bring the damage back up if a tin can wants to tote around a fucken side arm that costs more than his armor let him it is his fucken money and he will be poor soon.

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 08:01:11 am »
More requirements? Haha.
Crossbows were designed for the battle-retarded in the Medieval Era.

You pulled back a string and pulled a lever. Is that too hard?
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:48 am »
If you take a look at your ammo...

Steel Bolts
weight 2.5
weapon length 63
thrust damage 8,pierce
max ammo 1

I believe it was 3 pierce pre-ninja buff. So an extra 5 dmg is quite nice considering most weapon changes involves +/- 1 

And if you're using normal bolts, you're an idiot.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
I'm using a double-heirloomed sniper xbow, with 150 wpf. With my steel bolts, the combined damage is supposed to be 91 pierce. I don't know exactly how the mechanics work, but I'm only 1-shotting people in light armor with that damage. Pretty much all others take 2 shots, unless they've been damaged before I hit them.

For reference, however, I did some testing against someone with 21 strength and 4 IF in milanese armor. Shots to the body from nearly point blank did a little less than half their health.

We did some further testing, with other builds and armors. We determined that currently, 40 armor is about the threshold between 1-shotting someone, and having to shoot them twice with my current xbow/bolts from close range.

I think the damage on xbows is fine at this point. Dedicated xbowmen should heirloom their xbow. The only change I think could help xbows not suck so much is to give them a slight buff to the projectile speed, so that they don't lose so much damage at short-medium range.

EDIT: Please note that this opinion may change if I am not satisfied with the xbows damage output after triple-heirlooming the xbow + 3x heirloomed bolts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:26:12 am by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 11:48:39 am »
Crossbows will be asbsolutely fine as soon as they nerf throwing weapons.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »
Theorycrafting put aside, I'd say that the scoreboard correctly reflects the power of crossbowmen.

And by that I mean consistency, not getting to top5 once in 5 rounds.

(I typed a bigger post but I think this sums it up. Otherwise people would debate points and theorycraft while reality looks differently.)

ps: And just to clarify, I don't mean that xbows are weak, just that they're too situational to be worthwhile when dedicated, as a primary character someone is playing. And they seem better in smaller, organized groups. Public mayhem that usually occurs on servers with mob fights.. they just seem to be worse than anything else in typical crpg scenario.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:45:53 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Crossbows dont work wel because they are slow and don't get an accuracy increase in return.
Buffing speed would be overpowered with that damage, buffing accuracy would be better imo.

Or just revert back to the old situation, of native, but tweaked ofc.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 02:50:10 pm »
I find accuracy to be fine at least with Heavy Crossbow.

Can't compare with post-patch archer though, but I wouldn't want accuracy to increase.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »
Crossbows will be asbsolutely fine as soon as they nerf throwing weapons.

assuming they do
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 03:26:18 pm »
In my opinion xbows are fine and there is no reason to change their statistics. I play as crossbowman and my well made sniper crossbow is deadly. After patch there's a lot of fun because they are much more accurate than before and there is no problem to headshot someone and a lot of people (more than half) are dead after one shot in chest
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:44 pm »
Theorycrafting put aside, I'd say that the scoreboard correctly reflects the power of crossbowmen.

And by that I mean consistency, not getting to top5 once in 5 rounds.

Sounds good, people getting to the top with just a ranged weapon would, well, prompt everyone to go for one.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".