Author Topic: And finally people show their true colors.  (Read 55769 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: And finally people show their true colors.
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
+1
Once again, Phazey pulls through with a remarkably well written post. This is the sane, level headed, good-natured attitude that I expect from all of you. Do try and emulate his attitude more often.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 29, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
What kind of mercenaries hold large swaths of land?  It's going to be impossible for you to be a neutral-for-hire clan when you're making a bunch of claims to fiefs and cities, then holding grudges when you're attacked.  Why don't you just get rid of them and fight for people in exchange for money and troops?

This keeps popping up, and it's a retarded argument. Yes, their clan name is Mercenaries. Yes, they hold land. Why do people have to bitch about it? Jealousy? It's how they choose to play, deal w/ it.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »
+2
Once again, Phazey pulls through with a remarkably well written post. This is the sane, level headed, good-natured attitude that I expect from all of you. Do try and emulate his attitude more often.
Ok, mom.

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #363 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but i don't recall any 'roster griefing' in the old Strategus, nor do i remember any clans to be forced to fight 11 hours straight (to be fair, we did have two 30 minute breaks). But the time span (21:00 untill about 08:00  :shock:) was a bit excessive, as i'm sure you all agree. 

I, for one, would love some limitations to what timeslots can be used, so clans aren't forced to fight at insane times that much. I hear that chadz might be working on that. So that's great news and i'm very happy about that! :)

I didn't participate in the 1st Strategus, but how has it been handled there (I mean the timeslot thing)? I benefit from the fact that I start to work nightshift today, so I'm probably the only one in the EU community who could afford sleeping until 3 P.M., but even I quit after the Khans' battle. My respect to anyone who did hold out longer.

Concerning vMega's post, I didn't know f any official agreement either. This isn't meant as an excuse or what ever, but I even retired on Tuesday so that I was only lvl 25 when fighting in the battles. They completely took my by surprise, too...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:46:57 pm by ReBa1918 »
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #364 on: July 29, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »
Thanks for that, i really appreciate that. I'm glad to hear it's not been on purpose. I hope we can prevent more incidents like that in the future.
I'm sorry if you feel that the Mercs have not been nice to you on the forum, but you can probably understand some of the anger. Don't base your impression of our clan on the posts of only a few. They're a brash bunch with some very vocal and outspoken guys that, perhaps, don't have a talent for nuance.  :wink:

Sorry to quote you out of context, Cyber, but i do want to address this point you made. It's not true: in cRPG there are strict rules about grieving, leeching or needlessly prolonging the match (wasting people's time).
(I'm not criticizing you here! I'm just grabbing your comment as a place to hook my thoughts on. My comments are intended for those whom it may concern.)

The same should be true for Strategus.

Planning a battle at really awkward times, filling a roster, only to clear the roster out only minutes before a fight and show up with a few naked guys...
How is that not wasting people's time? Combined with timeslots like 3 AM and 5 AM, this is pretty grievous. The only way i know to describe this, is 'roster grieving'.

Note that i'm not commenting on any 'betrayal'.

Now, guys, i think any anger has cooled. Let's look back at the events from the last days and see if we can use them to improve future Strategus encounters, to ensure it remains fun for all those involved. It's a game after all.
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but i don't recall any 'roster griefing' in the old Strategus, nor do i remember any clans to be forced to fight 11 hours straight (to be fair, we did have two 30 minute breaks). But the time span (21:00 untill about 08:00  :shock:) was a bit excessive, as i'm sure you all agree. 

I, for one, would love some limitations to what timeslots can be used, so clans aren't forced to fight at insane times that much. I hear that chadz might be working on that. So that's great news and i'm very happy about that! :)

I would also like it very much if we all try to prevent any 'roster griefing' (planning battles, filling a roster, forcing your opponents to show up and then not giving them a real battle), can be prevented.

Let's all try to get along and keep any discussion civil. Because it's taboo for Mercs to tell other Mercs what to do, i'm just going to 'suggest' that everyone (including my fellow clan members) refrain from using personal insults and unneeded unfriendliness.

Sorry for the long post. This all is my personal opinion. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank our worthy opponents that gave us a string of great fights last night. I'm looking forward to future Strategus battles with good hope that things will improve.

And awesome comic Beauchamp! Hilarious. Keep 'em coming! :D

Thx Phaz, good post, cheers.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2011, 05:52:09 pm »
+1
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Franke

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 29, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »
This keeps popping up, and it's a retarded argument. Yes, their clan name is Mercenaries. Yes, they hold land. Why do people have to bitch about it? Jealousy? It's how they choose to play, deal w/ it.

Well as said before, it's a game...
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

Offline Lockt

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:11 pm »
+2

It's not a retarded argument.  I think them being attacked by 5 factions is pretty good evidence of them not being able to stay neutral while hold a bunch of land.  If they want to act like lords of the e-realm then they're going to have to deal with getting attacked.  If they aren't supposed to be neutral for hire, then they just have a stupid name.

Offline Franke

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:19 pm »
I'm sorry if you feel that the Mercs have not been nice to you on the forum, but you can probably understand some of the anger. Don't base your impression of our clan on the posts of only a few. They're a brash bunch with some very vocal and outspoken guys that, perhaps, don't have a talent for nuance.  :wink:

Well I have no problem with ppl "not being nice on the forum", there's always a certain amount of trolling and sabre rattling in forums like this, but I had gotten the impression that thinks would kind of escalate here.

Of course there are different characters within a clan, just remember that Mega/Rogue issue some posts before...  :wink:

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:34 pm »
This is not self defense, this is a bunch of people squabbling about an online game. I posted thinking that my comment would remain in context with the thread, especially since I mentioned Sportsmanship. It had nothing to do with being a generalized statement on life.

Within the game, this IS self defence as far as I can see. Where is the logic is disputing this? They are attacked by you, by HRE, by Khan, and BRD. How is this not self defence?

They didn't start it, the attackers did. You dumb?

22nd hasn't asked for any agreement, neither has RuConquista, yet they attack. Am I supposed to call that backstabbing or opportunism?

We attack you?
Where and when? We have no intention of jumping into this mess.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 29, 2011, 06:00:17 pm »
It's not a retarded argument.  I think them being attacked by 5 factions is pretty good evidence of them not being able to stay neutral while hold a bunch of land.  If they want to act like lords of the e-realm then they're going to have to deal with getting attacked.  If they aren't supposed to be neutral for hire, then they just have a stupid name.
Wow, some people still don't get the idea? Everyone who applies to any battle is a mercenary, they are a mercenary FACTION, which means you can hire their ARMIES that they have to get SOMEWHERE.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #371 on: July 29, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

Contracts.

Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:59:08 pm by Mtemtko »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #372 on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »
+1
Within the game, this IS self defence as far as I can see. Where is the logic is disputing this? They are attacked by you, by HRE, by Khan, and BRD. How is this not self defence?

We attack you?

You? Who is this You? I don't remember having a clan tag on in any of those battles, I fought from someone requesting that I do so. I was a mercenary.

I was desputing that this was self defense as in a court case like you mentioned. There is no Jury here, there is no Judge. You only have Sovereign Nations around you, peers more or less. There is no almighty power to cast judgement upon us. I still don't understand why the HRE is being called Backstabbers by a few people when they openly declared war and THEN attacked, and were never in any alliance (That is the case of bad sportsmanship that I am refering to. I get that the Mercs think it is crap that they are being ganged up on, but some of what a few people are saying simply holds no water and is just bad sportsmanship and slandering from both sides).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:09:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Lockt

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »
Wow, some people still don't get the idea? Everyone who applies to any battle is a mercenary, they are a mercenary FACTION, which means you can hire their ARMIES that they have to get SOMEWHERE.

They could pay money for them.  That's typically what mercenaries go for.  Tydeus doesn't have any holdings and has over 2000 troops.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #374 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »

We attack you?

Was talking directly to you which makes „they„ a substitute for RuConquista.

All good Plazek, no sweat.