Author Topic: And finally people show their true colors.  (Read 55373 times)

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
Re: And finally people show their true colors.
« Reply #345 on: July 29, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »
+2
I'd like to thank everyone involved in last nights battles. The Mercs showes us what a determined, disciplined and good fighting village defender benefiting from terrain can do.

However, I'm really sad about people raging like mad in this thread. Why do people forget it's only a game? Now, RuConquista are attacking us without any DoW, so are they backstabbing us, too? So what? That's what this game is all about...
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 29, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »
True. Reputation carries over from one version of strat to the next and some of the "clever diplomatic tricks" that the factions involved have used actually cost them far more than they were worth.
Guess this is where factions with a reliable reputation and the unreliables get separated.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:22 pm »
One might imagine that backstabbing someone who breaches a military access agreement is well within moral boundaries. In RL and in Strat.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »
Ah dont talk about RL. This is about dark midage and there is no UN trying to solve the problems.
This game is about fighting and not sitting around until other are doing stuff.

PS: I remember we talked some months ago who will be our kaiser and lead us in strategus *g*
We chose to elect Rogue not vMega cause some people thought he would bring us total war ;)
Rogue is in hospital vMega is making decisions ;) so probably everybody should have known what would happen :p
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:07:21 pm by Camaris »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 29, 2011, 05:08:08 pm »
Heh, HRE, the consequences of backstabbing are starting to show themselves faster than you expected?  :lol:

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #350 on: July 29, 2011, 05:13:30 pm »
+1
Nope, we expected that even before we attacked as we saw that army.
Since some people keep their grudges clearly visible by the fillings of the rosters :P
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #351 on: July 29, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »
+2
Wow, I had fun in all the battles I fought in, was going to say thanks for the fights but... All I see in this thread is bitching about everything... Sad... Just sad...

Am I the only guy who is enjoying strategus and walked away from every fight I was in without flinging crap at the winner/loser?
Sportsmanship.
Learn it. Only a child uses the excuse "but he started it."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:15:15 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #352 on: July 29, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »
I'd like to thank everyone involved in last nights battles. The Mercs showes us what a determined, disciplined and good fighting village defender benefiting from terrain can do.

However, I'm really sad about people raging like mad in this thread. Why do people forget it's only a game? Now, RuConquista are attacking us without any DoW, so are they backstabbing us, too? So what? That's what this game is all about...

Yeh, everyone who showed up for the Ushkuru fight, thank you.  It was a great battle, they had more mercs than us by the end and it was really grueling and clsoe fight.  i really appreciate your help.  And yeh, I don't think any of us are suddenly calling RuConquista backstabbers even though we had talked to them before and got their merc help in one of our earlier fights against the Mercs.  Its jus another part of a fun diplomatic, strategic, and tactical game.  never understood the whole "you are all evil" victim mentality because somebody attacks you in a silly, but fun internet game.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18:40 pm »
This game is set in the mid to late middle ages.
Not the dark ages.

Even if it was the dark ages that does not mean there would be no diplomacy, except amongst the honourless barbarians rampaging against the civilised folk.

--

lol tears that is the most bollocks comment ever. Self defence is a valid legal defence in a court of law. If it can be demonstrated someone else started a fight then that puts the other guy in a much safer legal position.

Offline Franke

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Franke_HRE and Frankes_STF_HRE
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:04 pm »
Rogue is in hospital vMega is making decisions ;) so probably everybody should have known what would happen :p

This came to mymind, too...  :D
Quote from: Tindel
In teamspeak i like to hear all of your opinions on; beer and alcohol, chocolate chip cookies, social problems and their solutions, massmurderers, why ranged should burn in hell, hating on new maps, hating on old maps.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #355 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:53 pm »

lol tears that is the most bollocks comment ever. Self defence is a valid legal defence in a court of law. If it can be demonstrated someone else started a fight then that puts the other guy in a much safer legal position.

This is not self defense, this is a bunch of people squabbling about an online game. I posted thinking that my comment would remain in context with the thread, especially since I mentioned Sportsmanship. It had nothing to do with being a generalized statement on life.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #356 on: July 29, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
Well, I havent read anything about an official agreement with anybody before our attacks.

As far as I know these are posted so everybody can access them.

We posted our declaration, didn't we?

22nd hasn't asked for any agreement, neither has RuConquista, yet they attack. Am I supposed to call that backstabbing or opportunism?

Making assumptions on our behaviour on official agreements isn't valid since there hasn't been any.

So far and for any upcoming official agreements HRE was following and will follow them.

People tend to remember what they want to remember. .

I wont comment on this real life reference u made plazek....we just anticipate here, its a game :-)

Offline Graf_Hodenschaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Trade Guild
  • Game nicks: Graf_Hodenschaf
  • IRC nick: Graf_Hodenschaf
« Reply #357 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:07 pm »

---

Of course this is a beta, it is a game, but people have memories. I guess what all you factions do to their own reputations is their business, and the Mercs did some fine work. Cannot really say the same for all those others involved though.

Anyway an entertaining war it seems. Congrats to the mercs I suspect you have done better than many expected.

I forget many things when im drunk  :wink:
Livestreaming crpg:  twitch.tv/beerman_aut

Offline Lockt

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 29, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
What kind of mercenaries hold large swaths of land?  It's going to be impossible for you to be a neutral-for-hire clan when you're making a bunch of claims to fiefs and cities, then holding grudges when you're attacked.  Why don't you just get rid of them and fight for people in exchange for money and troops?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »
+5
Second off, we had ONE battle where we spawned naked and were spawn capped. Only ONE, after which we apologized to the Mercenaries and Noctivigant seemed to be happy.

Thanks for that, i really appreciate that. I'm glad to hear it's not been on purpose. I hope we can prevent more incidents like that in the future.
I'm sorry if you feel that the Mercs have not been nice to you on the forum, but you can probably understand some of the anger. Don't base your impression of our clan on the posts of only a few. They're a brash bunch with some very vocal and outspoken guys that, perhaps, don't have a talent for nuance.  :wink:

... but only rules that you really have to obey are game mechanics.

Sorry to quote you out of context, Cyber, but i do want to address this point you made. It's not true: in cRPG there are strict rules about grieving, leeching or needlessly prolonging the match (wasting people's time).
(I'm not criticizing you here! I'm just grabbing your comment as a place to hook my thoughts on. My comments are intended for those whom it may concern.)

The same should be true for Strategus.

Planning a battle at really awkward times, filling a roster, only to clear the roster out only minutes before a fight and show up with a few naked guys...
How is that not wasting people's time? Combined with timeslots like 3 AM and 5 AM, this is pretty grievous. The only way i know to describe this, is 'roster grieving'.

Note that i'm not commenting on any 'betrayal'.

Now, guys, i think any anger has cooled. Let's look back at the events from the last days and see if we can use them to improve future Strategus encounters, to ensure it remains fun for all those involved. It's a game after all.
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but i don't recall any 'roster griefing' in the old Strategus, nor do i remember any clans to be forced to fight 11 hours straight (to be fair, we did have two 30 minute breaks). But the time span (21:00 untill about 08:00  :shock:) was a bit excessive, as i'm sure you all agree. 

I, for one, would love some limitations to what timeslots can be used, so clans aren't forced to fight at insane times that much. I hear that chadz might be working on that. So that's great news and i'm very happy about that! :)

I would also like it very much if we all try to prevent any 'roster griefing' (planning battles, filling a roster, forcing your opponents to show up and then not giving them a real battle), can be prevented.

Let's all try to get along and keep any discussion civil. Because it's taboo for Mercs to tell other Mercs what to do, i'm just going to 'suggest' that everyone (including my fellow clan members) refrain from using personal insults and unneeded unfriendliness.

Sorry for the long post. This all is my personal opinion. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank our worthy opponents that gave us a string of great fights last night. I'm looking forward to future Strategus battles with good hope that things will improve.

And awesome comic Beauchamp! Hilarious. Keep 'em coming! :D