Poll

were these mistakes?

yes
20 (69%)
no
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: noob nerf?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
noob nerf?
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »
there were 2 major noob nerfs in the last 2 patches i believe. and imo they were a mistake.
-the 100exp to 30exp per retirement tick
-the higher upkeep

these weren't really a nerf for good players and pro's. take for example kesh, generation 91, before the patch changed it. enough to loom anything you want, need and can dream of. after the patch, kesh was about gen 40 i believe(correct me if i'm wrong) and 40 looms are stil enough to loom anything you want, need and can dream of. it didn't change a lot for the people like kesh, but it did for the noobs who still want to play an retire and let themselves go crazy if they get a loom, but it got harder for them gain more gens.

and for the higher upkeep, i don't really see less tincans and it got harder for cav to pay for their gear, people that sell looms to be tincans still are able to wear the same things. and new players only find it harder to get good gear and make money.

not that i think it is needed that it is changed back, but just so the devs know that it happened and no more mistakes like these should be made. and kesh is an example like no other, i know that;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:25:04 am by Kalam »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: noob nerf?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:51 pm »
+5
The XP bonus for retirement should start high after your first retirement and decline asymptotically from there. i.e. +20% for first retirement, then +15%, then +11%, then +8%, then +6%, etc.  Diminishing returns has been the basis of RPG advancement since their inception, might as well extend it to the retirement XP bonus.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:38:29 pm »
+1
I was sad with the retirement bonus nerf 'cause it made leveling take longer which in turn makes it take longer to try out new builds.

Anyway though, at this point it doesn't really matter. Everybody levels and gains heirlooms at a pretty similar rate. I think the gen xp bonus stops after gen 14 or so and that's a level anyone can reach with enough time. Also, who gives a shit if someone like Kesh has 10,000 heirlooms? It doesn't affect my gameplay any. Someone like Kesh has invested so many hours in this game that he should be rewarded anyway.

As far as upkeep, it's currently fine in my opinion. Maybe the upkeep could be raised for higher tier items, but that's about it. With the recent patch it's not a problem for new players anymore, which was my biggest gripe with it.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:39 pm »
i do agree with diminishing returns rather than increasing returns as far as retirement bonus goes....

should be faster to retire for the first couple and then slow down...helps newer players get into the "world of the looms"
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:45:23 pm »
I am much happier with upkeep now that gen 1 characters less then 25 th level no longer pay for upkeep.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »
The XP bonus for retirement should start high after your first retirement and decline asymptotically from there. i.e. +20% for first retirement, then +15%, then +11%, then +8%, then +6%, etc.  Diminishing returns has been the basis of RPG advancement since their inception, might as well extend it to the retirement XP bonus.
I agree with him.
It should be like +20% 1st retirement. 18% 2nd. 16% third. 14% fourth. 12% fifth. 10% sixth. Goes down 2%  every retirement. (Stops at +2%).
So.. at Gen 7 and x1 multiplyer you will get 1,900 exp per minute (+90%)
But at Gen 20 you will get 2,280 per minute. (+128%)
This settles the high gen mega exp Gods (like Kesh) and gives newer players of lower generations a good bonus.
And of course the max Gen should be at around 25.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:52:49 pm by Strider »

Offline Rubicon

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • perfect & modest
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rubicon, COCKY, Rubicav
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »
I agree with him.
It should be like +20% 1st retirement. 18% 2nd. 16% third. 14% fourth. 12% fifth. 10% sixth. Goes down 2%  every retirement. (Stops at +2%).
This settles the high gen mega exp Gods (like Kesh) and gives newer players of lower generations a good bonus.

Agreed with almost all of this, but (there is always one :) ) why a cap gen 25 ?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01:29 pm »
+1
No, that exp nerf effected high gens not low gens. High gens like kesh could retire every 3 hours or less, becoming faster and faster. He didn't do that of course, or he would have been gen 250+ before the nerf. He was set to gen 31 when he was nerfed :P

The higher upkeep is also directed at the people in full plate not noobs. Everybody can play in medium armor, the people in full plate saved up for a long time while playing in light armor, or sold an heirloom. And that is an awful lot of grind to go through, just so they can be in heavy armor. And TBH heavy armor isn't even that amazing.
I am much happier with upkeep now that gen 1 characters less then 25 th level no longer pay for upkeep.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:19:12 pm »
there were 2 major noob nerfs in the last 2 patches i believe. and imo they were a mistake.
-the higher upkeep
higher upkeep is for everyone the same.
making higher gens get less xp bonus seems very beginner friendly to me. Of course you can claim that its "unfair" and some people already have much higher gens. But by reducing the bonus they guaranteed that there won't be 70% gen 30 players in one year. Imagine a noob then taking up the game.

Also there were just recently several changes that made the mod more beginner friendly.
- heirlooms stats decreased
- no higher break chance with low wpf on low level with low items
- no upkeep for gen 1 under lvl 25
- every attempt to lower amount of heirlooms and make getting high gens more difficult (see above)

I agree with him.
this sounds also good, nonetheless.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »
No, that exp nerf effected high gens not low gens. High gens like kesh could retire every 3 hours or less, becoming faster and faster. He didn't do that of course, or he would have been gen 250+ before the nerf. He was set to gen 31 when he was nerfed :P

The higher upkeep is also directed at the people in full plate not noobs. Everybody can play in medium armor, the people in full plate saved up for a long time while playing in light armor, or sold an heirloom. And that is an awful lot of grind to go through, just so they can be in heavy armor. And TBH heavy armor isn't even that amazing.
but my point was, kesh has enough looms to do what he wants anyway so it doesn't matter for him, he didn't want to retire anymore anyway. but for me(in those days) it did, and for a lot of people too. it had a bigger effect on the pro's but they care less/doesn't matter they will stick to the game. and those mistakes shouldn't be made unless the devs and chadz want to decourage more players.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:09:29 am »
-the higher upkeep

You take Kesh as an example but that is wrong for the 2 point you bring.

The 100xp to 30xp per retirement came with another modification, which is xp bonus cap at gen 16.

That is why Kesh and a lot of other old player stoped retiring, because it doesn't bring any bonus except heirloom past gen 16, which at this point, most people have enough heirloom already.

so without this patch, old player would still be exponentially in advance compared to noob.

Second point...

The upkeep, did you see kesh play with high end weapon and armor all the time???  :rolleyes:

Upkeep affect everyone equally.

Even player that acquired a lot of gold pre-patch or sold heirloom to gain it, will eventually drain out if they keep playing with high end equipment all the time.

For the time being they are rightfully enjoying the time they spent playing earlier. Don't be jealous.

A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:08 am »
+2
IMO they should have kept the 100 xp per retire and just added the cap meaning noobs wouldbr bw stuck in a grindfest and retiring would be more desireable.