Poll

Should the current Black Armor be replaced with this model/texture?

No!
36 (8.7%)
Yes!
296 (71.8%)
Yes, but only if the shoulders get equalized!
80 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 412

Author Topic: POLL: Replacement for current Black Armor?  (Read 9215 times)

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
Re: POLL: Replacement for current Black Armor?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2011, 12:15:15 am »
+1
There's one thing bad about adding content : people already experience the 2 frames freeze, crashes and stutter related to high memory usage. Adding more leads to more performance problems.

I was unaware that the addition of inventory is what is bringing down performance - Are you sure about that?

If that's the case, just remove a few of the silly low tier armor items, game, set, and match.

There's way too many useless silly hats and shoes and bull***t that no-one needs in there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:16:22 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2011, 12:37:47 am »
+1
If someone were to get rid of my heirloomed robes I'd be :mad:
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2011, 12:40:25 am »
+1
I was unaware that the addition of inventory is what is bringing down performance - Are you sure about that?

If that's the case, just remove a few of the silly low tier armor items, game, set, and match.

There's way too many useless silly hats and shoes and bull***t that no-one needs in there.

On some systems that run Native flawlessly, stutter and freezes can appear due to modded equipment. Mostly because many mod textures are too big and badly optimized. This becomes critical when people wear many different equipments, as the computer has to load them somehow. The load texture on demand option helps but relies on the hard disk, which is still slow.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2011, 01:00:21 am »
+1
On some systems that run Native flawlessly, stutter and freezes can appear due to modded equipment. Mostly because many mod textures are too big and badly optimized. This becomes critical when people wear many different equipments, as the computer has to load them somehow. The load texture on demand option helps but relies on the hard disk, which is still slow.

Well then the CRPG admins, should provide standards/guidlines to modders as to what is an acceptable file size and resolution. I do some skinning myself - If you give modders ballpark figures on what limits they need to work within, they will/can do it. I DO understand, that we are talking about already exsisting models/textures bieng adapted, but as skinner, I can tell you, ANY skin, most of the time, can be reduced in file size and resolution, without losing much quality.

I can't really speak for all skinners, but in general, if you told someone who owned a skin that you'd like to use thier skin/model in a very popular mod like CRPG, they might even be willing to rreduce the file size themselves, and if not, they probably wouldnt have a problem with 'someone else' reducing the file size so that it wouldnt adversly affect CRPG performance.

In fact, if current skins/models are making the game slow because theyre not optimised, well then someone needs to optimize them. Its completely doable.  In fact if it would improve performance, it should be 'job #1'.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:25:26 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:56 am »
+1
but as skinner, I can tell you, ANY skin, most of the time, can be reduced in file size and resolution, without losing much quality.

In fact, if current skins/models are making the game slow because theyre not optimised, well then someone needs to optimize them. Its completely doable.  In fact if it would improve performance, it should be 'job #1'.
Its already been done: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,5335.0.html

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2011, 01:38:21 am »
+1
Ah ok, I'm fairly new to the community, so I didnt know that, thanks for the link though!(edit: Oh wait I've seen that, not what I thought it was) - That's not really what I'm talking about though - I mean lower the 'base quality of the models/skins in the BASE CRPG package - Not an 'after-effect' mod. And not drastically, it would have to be played with an tested by a skinner/modeler who understands how to reduce a skins footprint, without losing very much quality. But what I'm talking about is CRPG itself taking a look at each and every 'non-vanilla' armor file, and cleaning them up a bit, so they arent such a footprint mess. -If they are that is.

-Why I believe this is possibly the case is, as an artist, I know alot of guys make beautiful skins, but since optimization is less artistic/ more technical, they often release the skins 'unoptimised'. Very likely, most of the custom skins could be reduced in quality individually, with very little notice of quality loss by the end user.

Also, Would removing some of the low tier stuff help this any?

And no, as Warcat mentioned, I dont want to see anyone of course lose thier looms over this, but surely that could be addressed as well if something like this were to be done, no?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:06:03 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:00 am »
+1
I'm fine with the helmet, but when people go around in silly armor, they should look silly. An armor as mighty as Black Armor should not look like an armor fit for mere mortals.

Actually, I bet this is why this armors so ugly, you always have to make choice in cRPG, you can take the best armor but you will look like shit.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2011, 02:13:26 am »
+1
voted YES.

that armor look awesome... and the black armor we all know, sucks.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2011, 02:20:35 am »
+1
voted YES, the current black armour is just hideous.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2011, 08:45:53 am »
+3

Some of us actually enjoys clothes - light armor.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:29 am »
+1
hmm it looks like a light armor, not like an heavy..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »
+1
Yes, some sort of change is needed.  I'd like if we could keep the uneven shoulders though.  The armour in this game is already quite symmetrical on the whole and a few sets of more non-generic styles would be nice.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
+1
If you read some of the other topics you would have seen this, the responce

:/

Linkage.

Should lock this thread as we won't be getting permission to use these models/textures.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »
+1
Some of us actually enjoys clothes - light armor.

Actually, I do as well.

However, there are a few items at the lower tier I think we could do without - alot of stat repetition, and not even much of a look difference IE, the abundance of boots.  I think most people would trade a few low tier boot options, for mid-high level chest armor options for example. And as much as I like all the hats, some of them are underwelming repetative, and have issues like chopping off your hair etc... I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd like some replacements...

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 01:45:27 am »
+1
Keep the current black armor.  Seriously, if you're gonna run around in something that can probably stop a couple tank rounds (needs to be tested, I'll be happy to volunteer someone for the ballistics test! :mrgreen:) you might as well have the great balancer.

(click to show/hide)