Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 153679 times)

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1201 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
its a shame the game wasn't PC only or we might have seen battles that size in the game instead of 10vs10 and them just respawning in the battle.

looking forward to next generation of consoles because current ones are holding Pc games back so much.

The next generation will likely hold PCs back even more. Console-type games (mostly action games or similar) usually don't need much RAM, and thus consoles are designed with uber CPU, good GPU and tiny RAM. The ps3 for example can still compete CPU-wise with your current average gamer rig (mostly due to the in-order design of the CELL), but the graphics are only circa 2005 high end-like, and the sum (main + graphics) of the primary memory is only 512Mb !

Designers clearly pushed the imbalance too far this time. Many current-gen console games suffer lags and shit, which afaik never happened in the recent past.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #1202 on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:29 pm »
Can't believe I even wasted time on Skyrim after having played The Witcher 2, a far superior game in terms of combat, story, character development and personal interaction, everything really matters here and it is a way better gaming experience. Haven't found my self really thinking about my choices in-game for a long time but in TW2 I truly sit and ponder over each.

In Skyrim you can serve 800 different divinities and people and it doesn't make a difference, meh.

Plough skyrim...
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:52 am »
Can't believe I even wasted time on Skyrim after having played The Witcher 2, a far superior game in terms of combat, story, character development and personal interaction, everything really matters here and it is a way better gaming experience. Haven't found my self really thinking about my choices in-game for a long time but in TW2 I truly sit and ponder over each.

In Skyrim you can serve 800 different divinities and people and it doesn't make a difference, meh.

Plough skyrim...

Well that's not really the point of that game.

Offline tyranoid

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:44 am »
plough the lillies

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:27 am »
+1
Though better than Oblivion I will definitely agree that Skyrim despite the beautiful, vibrant world (and Nords :)) and occasional glimpse of wit was a disappointment in regards to what is most important in a true RPG; story, characters, character development and meaningful player choices.
The dialogue is decently written compared to the embarrasing baby dialogue from its predecessor (a dev even admitted many of them were affected by having little kids at the time of production) but not impressive compared to the mainstay of PC RPGs like (some of) the Ultima games, Kotor, Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, (some of) the Gothic games, even NWN, and especially Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate and the Fallout series (minus F3 of course which following above criteria is almost as bad as Oblivion).

Fallout:New Vegas showed that the open world concept can still have a well-written, completely dynamic story, intelligent branching dialogue, player choice driven questlines and game world, interesting characters, interesting quests, humor, lore accuracy, consistency - depth. FNV even has an excellent combat system, if you don't mind FPS.

It's a shame as Bethesda has some good writers of in-game lore books - and they did make Morrowind(!) - but seems to have been on the wrong track ever since, even with the few positive backtracks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:30:03 am by Angantyr »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #1206 on: February 13, 2012, 01:36:18 am »
(click to show/hide)
Model and textures by CounterPoint originally for Warband, IRL sword by Windlass Steelcraft and owned by me :P and I ported it, Iproud

Unrelated: anyone found the complete set of heavy imperial armor + sword in Windhelm Gray Quarter? That guy might be right to suspect some Dark Elves.

My character, wanted to add the mailed churburg plate armor from cRPG but failed horribly.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #1207 on: February 13, 2012, 01:43:15 am »
Well, I played almost 240 hours of it and I still haven't finished the main quest. :D

edit:
Unrelated: anyone found the complete set of heavy imperial armor + sword in Windhelm Gray Quarter? That guy might be right to suspect some Dark Elves.
Yes, I thought the same.  :o

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 13, 2012, 06:34:54 am »
Well, it is pretty unmatched as of now in terms of a grind-like RPG/slash fest game. If i wanted actual roleplay, then i'd probably go with Gothic 1/2, those were the stuff!

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #1209 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:12 am »
+2
Though better than Oblivion I will definitely agree that Skyrim despite the beautiful, vibrant world (and Nords :)) and occasional glimpse of wit was a disappointment in regards to what is most important in a true RPG; story, characters, character development and meaningful player choices.
The dialogue is decently written compared to the embarrasing baby dialogue from its predecessor (a dev even admitted many of them were affected by having little kids at the time of production) but not impressive compared to the mainstay of PC RPGs like (some of) the Ultima games, Kotor, Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, (some of) the Gothic games, even NWN, and especially Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate and the Fallout series (minus F3 of course which following above criteria is almost as bad as Oblivion).

Fallout:New Vegas showed that the open world concept can still have a well-written, completely dynamic story, intelligent branching dialogue, player choice driven questlines and game world, interesting characters, interesting quests, humor, lore accuracy, consistency - depth. FNV even has an excellent combat system, if you don't mind FPS.

It's a shame as Bethesda has some good writers of in-game lore books - and they did make Morrowind(!) - but seems to have been on the wrong track ever since, even with the few positive backtracks.

Truth. New Vegas just had such a superior main questline. In Skyrim, I had a blast just exploring and going through random dungeons, but every time I decided to do the main quest I just got pissed off at it (fucking hate Delphine).
(click to show/hide)

And none of their games since have had the depth of world that Morrowind did. Morrowind had some deep politics and culture, Oblivion was just weak in this regard. Skyrim definitely did better, but still nothing like what Morrowind had.

And they removed the magic creation in Skyrim.  :| The two classes I played in Morrowind were a Spear/Xbow hybrid and Alteration/Conjuration/Destruction mage, both of which were removed. (Or in the case of the mage, changed dramatically) My mage had something on the order of 200 custom spells, took so damn long to find anything in my spellbook.  :lol:

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #1210 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:43 am »
Well, it is pretty unmatched as of now in terms of a grind-like RPG/slash fest game. If i wanted actual roleplay, then i'd probably go with Gothic 1/2, those were the stuff!

Hell yeah Man!!

Gothic 1 and 2 were such good games, I dont really believe there will ever be an RPG like those again.Sadly.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »

edit:Yes, I thought the same.  :o

you mean this set or something else ?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 896
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »
Can't believe I even wasted time on Skyrim after having played The Witcher 2, a far superior game in terms of combat

What?

I agree that combat in Skyrim is crappy but in Witcher 2 is plain horrible. I mean, in that game all you have to do is to roll around and when you get your chance hit the opponent and keep doing so until he drops dead (just like in Diablo games lol).

You should try playing first Witcher, far better game than it's successor.

Offline Renay

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Every Clan, but mostly Ninja!
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Renay
« Reply #1213 on: February 13, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »
+1
Well, let me make this quite clear for you...

THE WITCHER 2 CAN SUCK MY DICK
Blackbow is a bad admin,he once told me sandfriend It broked all my desire from the game/forums,i felt devastated,horrible don't know how to fix it.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 13, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »
You should read Witcher books, the greatest fantasy story ever written, much better than games. I can't understand why these books aren't more popular than Song of Ice and Fire from which is so much superior. I hope one day Peter Jackson or someone like that will make film based on Witcher story. Better than movie which was made in Poland  :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1KVU54dZo&feature=related