Author Topic: Someone introduce a market deflation.  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Someone introduce a market deflation.
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 02:28:08 am »
+5
I suggest gold and heirloom wipe with funny hats and halos as compensation.

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 05:42:25 am »
Well, the problem with that is, if you offer at the values that are advertised noone is buying them (at least not mine) so you are kind of stuck. Without selling you won't have enough money to buy what you want, but you can't go significantly under the price if you don't want massive losses.

Is your item something popular that people would want, or is it something not commonly used? Is the item you want something popular and in demand? Not all heirlooms are equal, even if they take the same amount of effort to acquire. So if you have something that's not so popular, you may have to accept that it won't sell for as much as the item you want. For example, I see a +1 light lance is listed for 250k while a +1 heavy lance is listed for 350k. In my opinion, the heavy lance is still a much better value. Even if the light lance were only 50k, I'd still only buy the heavy for 300k more.

Perhaps try setting the price to an amount that is lower than most other items at that heirloom level. So for example, if you are selling a sword, there may be a buyer who is interested in either gloves, body armor, or a weapon, and is looking to buy whichever of those is cheapest. And be realistic about how much you think people want your item, rather than believing there is a minimum price per heirloom level regardless of the usefulness of the item. I mean, nobody wants heirloomed stones except as a novelty item.

BTW, I've traded a +1 steppe horse for a +1 heavy lance. I just made a bunch of listings for all the items I'd be willing to accept for the steppe horse, plus a gold-only offer that was a decent amount less than any other horse.

I don't sell my heirlooms because I have no reason to, since I use them all on a daily basis. No one has offered me any money for my heirlooms, either (but this point is moot, since they're not for sale anyway).

The point I was trying to make was that you are not selling any heirlooms because you value them more than the amount of gold you could get for them. However, you would be willing to pay the current market prices for the heirlooms you want to buy, if you had the money, even though you say those prices are screwing people. So in reality, the fact that you're willing to buy but not sell at those prices indicates that those prices aren't too high.

I actually think there is a bit of a shortage on the market for armors with a decent upkeep cost. This is especially true for gloves. I bet someone could sell some heirloomed gloves for more gold than they would need to buy most of the weapons listed.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 07:20:50 am »
Perhaps capped prices for heirlooms?  As in, set a maximum price per level of heirloom item.  This ensures people get good money for selling items, non-wealthy players have some hope of buying items, and we avoid unwanted inflation.  The only folks who seem to lose anything in this scheme are the folks already making tonnes of money.

First of all, I disagree with the whole premise of ignoring a player made economy. As long as you can make multiple transactions, capping the price of heirlooms is all but impossible. Well, I guess it would be possible to cap it by making them for sale in the same manner than regular weapons are. But I hope everybody would see why that's not a good idea.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 07:26:35 am »
+5
So we now have a true market, demand and supply creating a real and complex minigame within a battle game - and some people want me to regulate this beatuy?

Like hell I will!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 08:54:52 am »

PLEEEEEAAAASE do this.

The game has changed so much that a gold and heirloom wipe would be completely justified.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 09:43:07 am »
PLEEEEEAAAASE do this.

The game has changed so much that a gold and heirloom wipe would be completely justified.

Stop whining and start killing.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 10:10:12 am »
Stop whining and start killing.

lol, I have my heirlooms and my gold.

I just think putting EVERYONE on even ground again NOW would be a good call.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »
Market PVP is an amazing addition to this game and it would be a travesty to destroy simply because people feel they can't afford what they want. Heirlooms are luxury items, hence luxury prices. Your staple weapons are all affordable, if you want the good gear either grind it or buy it at the prices people are willing to sell for. Telling people that their time spent grinding their heirloom is worth x isn't going to lead to lower prices, it's going to lead to an unpopulated market.

I wish more people paid attention when they took economics.

Supply and demand bros. Certain heirlooms sell for pennies because no one wants them, certain items sell at a low price because many are trying to offload them, and a few sell for a quite high price because they fly off the market the second they are put up. Learn to play the market and you can get any item you want for cheap, don't learn to play the market and hand over fistfuls of gold like everyone else who can't be bothered to learn simple business principles.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »
So we now have a true market, demand and supply creating a real and complex minigame within a battle game - and some people want me to regulate this beatuy?

Like hell I will!
Capitalism ftw!

Fuck the lower classes!
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 529
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 10:32:56 pm »
Supply and demand bros. Certain heirlooms sell for pennies because no one wants them, certain items sell at a low price because many are trying to offload them, and a few sell for a quite high price because they fly off the market the second they are put up. Learn to play the market and you can get any item you want for cheap, don't learn to play the market and hand over fistfuls of gold like everyone else who can't be bothered to learn simple business principles.

Items should be balanced between themselves. True balance would mean every items costing roughly the same because every item has it's good sides and bad sides. Items with good stats should have very high upkeep so that cheaper ones have that advantage over them even if their stats are worse. Sadly that's not the case cause devs can't balance shit.

This is not a real worlds market where there is A, B, C, D and E grade of chinese quality merchandise. This is a game which should be balanced. Now that's not the case and it seems that never will be.

Items which are "good" and in high demand are broken, each one in it's own way:

Elite Scimi - invisible reach, too fast, hard to block therefore best sword
Heavy Lance - longest reach lance therefore simply the best, others are shit
Any armor - way too much armor bonus per heirloom
Arbalest - since xbows are op now this one is in high demand
lolPikes/Spears/Axes - again bad dev decision to buff them

High demand item = inbalanced item

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. Screw you Fallen my old friend for kicking me while I was writing this post. I'll make sure that your puny clan made of my old friendchers and other lowlives suffers in strategus. That would be all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:36:07 pm by Leshma »

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 01:53:31 am »
Items should be balanced between themselves. True balance would mean every items costing roughly the same because every item has it's good sides and bad sides. Items with good stats should have very high upkeep so that cheaper ones have that advantage over them even if their stats are worse. Sadly that's not the case cause devs can't balance shit.

This is not a real worlds market where there is A, B, C, D and E grade of chinese quality merchandise. This is a game which should be balanced. Now that's not the case and it seems that never will be.

Items which are "good" and in high demand are broken, each one in it's own way:

Elite Scimi - invisible reach, too fast, hard to block therefore best sword
Heavy Lance - longest reach lance therefore simply the best, others are shit
Any armor - way too much armor bonus per heirloom
Arbalest - since xbows are op now this one is in high demand
lolPikes/Spears/Axes - again bad dev decision to buff them

High demand item = inbalanced item

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. Screw you Fallen my old friend for kicking me while I was writing this post. I'll make sure that your puny clan made of friendly archers and other lowlives suffers in strategus. That would be all.

Like i said, some items are more in demand than others. A honda civic is a solid car that has cheap replacement parts and will last for a decent amount of time. People still buy ferraris though, and pay through the nose for power that can't be used legally. Luxury and high demand is expensive. Low demand is not. I'm not really sure what other way to put it.

As for everything should be "balanced" exactly to every other item, perhaps that could be done but it would require overhauling the entire weapon system and would be incredibly unlikely. Beyond that it would kill the emerging market pvp scene, which is quite interesting to play.

Offline Squid

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:32 am »
Looks to me like a solid reason why upkeep is not too high: if heirlooms keep increasing in price, that suggests that at least some people have lots of gold to spend, right?
#

Money is scarce, also the demands of stategeus limit the amount of players retiring. The upshoot is that a select few (non new players) can afford to spend their accumalted wealth on such things. This artifically raises their value. However it is just a bubble.

In this case the amount of fluid money floating about has declined since the last update. So people are prepared to pay over the odds for the same item that would of been cheaper before the update. Its inflation, as the money supply gets contracted, prices rise. However eventually the money will run out. We will see a situation where nobody will be able to afford a MW weapon and prices will crash. Once they do, the minority left with money will invest in these items hoping to recoup. However once their money is spent, they will find an ever decreasing market for the. My advice is its a bad investment.

Due to an inhernt decline in earning potential for all the entire economy will contract. Even so its intresting times, but i dont think we will realise the effects of the current update for a few months yet.

Save it if you got it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1063
  • Infamy: 418
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »
If you ask me, prices will go down. New upkeep is cruel to everyone, there are no money making my old friendchers who stockpile gold and raise prices at marketplace. Now they bleed like everyone else. Earning money is hard, even with low end gear.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »

Like hell I will!

YAY my hero
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

only if I somehow can receive the blame for it, and one of those hats that is like the fake arrow you wear on your head

(looks like an arrow threw your head)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:39:45 pm by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!