Author Topic: long spear, pike, lance and heavy lance  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
Re: long spear, pike, lance and heavy lance
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 10:57:08 am »
I imagine one day we could continue to nerf things until.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

this will probably happen. but we'll roll max strength / 3 agility builds.

Offline Chudleague

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 04:16:15 am »
I personally hate being stabbed by a person 2 ft away when they are wielding a 12 ft pole, that being said, their overhead attacks will come down on me while they have a teammate between the attacker and me.

It has to be one or the other, cant be both.

If i can get hit from 2 feet away while the end of the spear is 4 feet behind me, then the teammate should be hit FIRST in the overhand attack and it wouldn't reach me.

If It doesn't hit the teammate but the end comes down over the teammate and hits me then I shouldn't be able to be hit by the pike 4 ft away from the player.

Basically either the whole model needs a hit box on it, or just the pointy part, not both. As it stands currently its teammate biased and glitchy.

Id prefer that it would still be able to block, but not stab anyone inside its range.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 11:34:00 am »
I personally hate being stabbed by a person 2 ft away when they are wielding a 12 ft pole, that being said, their overhead attacks will come down on me while they have a teammate between the attacker and me.

It has to be one or the other, cant be both.

If i can get hit from 2 feet away while the end of the spear is 4 feet behind me, then the teammate should be hit FIRST in the overhand attack and it wouldn't reach me.

If It doesn't hit the teammate but the end comes down over the teammate and hits me then I shouldn't be able to be hit by the pike 4 ft away from the player.

Basically either the whole model needs a hit box on it, or just the pointy part, not both. As it stands currently its teammate biased and glitchy.

Id prefer that it would still be able to block, but not stab anyone inside its range.

the hitboxes are fine. the facts is people master the stab use by turning and releasing before aiming. i say hitboxes are fine because if you stab while standing still at short range, you glance.

Offline Deracination

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 06:07:18 pm »
I don't really have a problem with the balance of these; I understand it's a lot harder to use a weapon only effective if you spin like a ballerina.  Getting stabbed by them turning sideways and moving the shaft through my torso is just cheesy looking, though.  I think, if anything, you could just give it side-swing as well as overhead animations that had hitboxes along the whole pole for blunt damage as well as a stab whose hitbox was only the tip and did piercing.  Dunno how the coding for that'd work, though.

Offline Chudleague

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »
the hitboxes are fine. the facts is people master the stab use by turning and releasing before aiming. i say hitboxes are fine because if you stab while standing still at short range, you glance.

And that is really the problem, with all attacks too.

Sword stabs can last a lot longer than is reasonable (But that could be explained as he is running forward with his sword forward ale Aragorn).
Sometimes you release your block after you've already blocked and the sword remains and stabs you.

Overhead attacks can miss your body, but if they turn into you at any point during the "attack" like after it hits the ground it just slides into the side of your ankle through the dirt and hits you for the same amount of damage.

But with long polearms its the worst. Most of the time when they do it with long spears and pikes the spear is waving it and out of the ground unrealistically. And yes they attack and spin into you, but still its a "stab" and the only part that can stab is way behind me. No matter what direction I'm aiming, if I have a 12ft spear and your 4 or less feet from me it is physically impossible for me to poke you with it.

The only explanation that could be viable, and its flimsy, is that they are holding it close to the point so its only a 4 ft spear and the rest is behind them, but that should require a different animation and an 'x' to change your grip on it.

Thats my QQ for the day.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 08:46:23 pm »
And that is really the problem, with all attacks too.

Sword stabs can last a lot longer than is reasonable (But that could be explained as he is running forward with his sword forward ale Aragorn).
Sometimes you release your block after you've already blocked and the sword remains and stabs you.

Overhead attacks can miss your body, but if they turn into you at any point during the "attack" like after it hits the ground it just slides into the side of your ankle through the dirt and hits you for the same amount of damage.

But with long polearms its the worst. Most of the time when they do it with long spears and pikes the spear is waving it and out of the ground unrealistically. And yes they attack and spin into you, but still its a "stab" and the only part that can stab is way behind me. No matter what direction I'm aiming, if I have a 12ft spear and your 4 or less feet from me it is physically impossible for me to poke you with it.

The only explanation that could be viable, and its flimsy, is that they are holding it close to the point so its only a 4 ft spear and the rest is behind them, but that should require a different animation and an 'x' to change your grip on it.

Thats my QQ for the day.

you're right but i don't think devs can fix game engine flaws by themselves. messing with hitboxes will give you other stuff to deal with... like a pikeman sticked behind his friend's huscarl shielder spamming thrusts (without teamhitting his friend ahead) while the shielder blocks all.

Offline Mckillroy

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Must...kill...horse..archer SNOZZE U BUDDY
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Whose payin
  • Game nicks: Mckillroy, Militia_Captian
  • IRC nick: Mckillroy
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 12:26:01 am »
Look the main issue is that lances were one hit kill. Yes u could continue to move forward with the lance while it was in the enemy,but that would just make u fall off the horse or be no use whats o ever as cav since your so found of your lance to leave it behind. It should be when u hit a enemy on foot in the TORSO area u should lose your lance (don't mean u need to repair it every time u use it though) but it should not work after(or at least make it for u drop the lace and yes even when u hit the shield and nock down the shielder to). The only time a lace could be used more then once is if u hit the soft juicy head because it would just be a through in through.(with the right momentum).  and whats with this new stab motion on horse back u just break your arm

Cav are not the main force just the back up
!#$%*)% HOrse archer SCUM YOU LIttle @%&$^$*&