Author Topic: Stupid word of the month: chamber  (Read 4934 times)

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid word of the month: chamber
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:24 pm »
Apparantly not.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »
just illustrates another incorrect use of terms.  weapons dont 'block' they parry.

A successful parry and counterattack is what a Riposte is, not 'chamber'

Here is the etymology of the words 'chamber' and 'block' in warband.

Back in beta, there was such a thing called a "parry" where a player would briefly tap his right mouse button for a split second, just enough to catch the attack. The end result was the attacker suffered a longer stun. This feature was quickly removed due to buggyness, but people still referenced to this parry feature as "the parry" and the current style of blocking an incoming attack, as a "block."

The block bit makes sense, due to the fact that you are physically stopping the opponent's weapon from continuing and are not redirecting the attack like a parry. This is not historical, as doing such a move in real-life would be incredibly strength intensive.

"Chamber" was used as an analogy of reading an attack, like putting a bullet in a gun's chamber. "Chamber" became short-hand/slang for the animation of reading/preparing an attack. "Chambering" is NOT a riposte, and that word would be inaccurate. Technically a chamber-block is the simple act of stopping your opponent's attack, and you can, in fact, hold the attack and not perform a counter-attack.

If you want to be technical, any attack after a successful block would be a riposte in the M&B world, because of its simplified game dynamics.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
OP is mostly correct, but it's pointless to try and change it. You know what is meant, and that's all that's needed for communication.

When people same "chamber", they're actually just shortening "chamber blocking", which is descriptive at least. After chamber blocking, one need not carry on with the attack, and can cancel it or hold it, so the phenomenon is not entirely analogous to a riposte. Chamber blocking as a term makes sense to describe this mechanic.

Across disciplines, the term "chamber" usually means to prepare an attack, you can chamber a bullet, chamber a punch or kick, or chamber a sword swing. So yes, there is ambiguity in using the work chamber to describe the mechanic of chamber blocking rather than preparing an attack, but it is rare for the latter meaning to enter any mount and blade discussion, and when someone says chamber, it is commonly assumed to mean the former.

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16:32 am »
+4
The OP should also concentrate on using the correct terms in his own post.

He claims that a word is stupid.  A word has no intelligence of its own, and hence, cannot itself be stupid.  It would be the person using the word that would be stupid.

This is a perfect illustration of why it doesn't matter at all.  The word chamber is used colloquially in CRPG to describe a certain action.  That is all.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
After reading this thread I am suddenly reminded why I picked up a pair of engineering degrees instead of an english degree or literature or some other overly complicated tool of the devil that exists purely so old men in tweed suits can argue to one another how to properly use an antiquated word or rail against how a word is evolving or how to properly cite a source or other such mind numbingly complex things that are somehow more complicated then z-pinch fusion...

I think this man right here had the right idea:

I am the King of Rome, and above grammar ~ Emperor Sigismund
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 10:02:31 am »
After reading this thread I am suddenly reminded why I picked up a pair of engineering degrees instead of an english degree or literature or some other overly complicated tool of the devil that exists purely so old men in tweed suits can argue to one another how to properly use an antiquated word or rail against how a word is evolving or how to properly cite a source or other such mind numbingly complex things that are somehow more complicated then z-pinch fusion...

English is intended to be communicated, quickly.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:41 pm »
Digglez is just a troll, ignore him.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:27 pm »
Digglez is just a troll, ignore him.

Actually I'm more of an ogre or undead (ghoul or wight)
perhaps even a half-orc

Offline Qilidj_Arslan

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 10:49:35 pm »
Anyway, modern fencing is awesome.

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »
Actually I'm more of an ogre or undead (ghoul or wight)
perhaps even a half-orc
god awful

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »
+1

I was an English major once. Unfortunately, the experience is far worse than you depicted.

For those of you playing at home, here is your step-by-step guide to getting the same quality education as a $40,000 a year college will offer, from the comfort and safety of your home!

Step 1: Pick any two pieces of "good" literature written within 200 years of each other. You know a literary piece is good if it is over 100 years old.

Step 2: Write a compare-and-contrast essay about these two pieces of work. For best results, ensure that both articles have jack-shit to do with each other.

Step 3: Page 1 of your compare-and-contrast essay will be dull, unequivocally vague bullshit, outlining crap that you could have read in the first 3 lines of Wikipedia... except Wikipedia is a part of the internet where no one gets royalties from, so you can't use it. Its also very bad and 100% lies.

Step 4: Pages 2, 3, and 4 will all outline how these pieces of work are obviously different. If you could have easily written the entire content of these 3 pages in 4 sentences or less, CONGRATULATIONS! You are well on your way to becoming a professor!

Step 5: Page 5 will reverse everything the last 3 pages have said. For bonus points, use the line "Herein lines the similarities which irrefutably outlines how these two articles are similar to each other and/or were influenced by each other. Upon discovering this, my life is forever changed."

Step 6: Write  a half-to-full-page conclusion which summarizes up the rest of your paper for the professor who was too lazy to read the rest of your work... and by "professor," I mean TA.

Step 7: Turn in this in to a "professor" for their subjective grading. A professor is anyone who has played this game before you have. It does not matter if they have the intelligence of a toddler. If they smoke ample amounts of marijuana, they are especially qualified.

If you are a professor grading this highly academic paper, feel free to grade it any way you like. You can grade it by how good your coffee is, how pretty the font is, or by the more common method: does the paper make a good spliff?

With these easy steps, you too can get all the knowledge given with an English degree!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:26:48 am by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:37 pm »
Anyway, modern fencing is awesome.

I fenced for 6 months and saber fencing was by far the most entertaining.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 12:14:11 am »

I was an English major once. Unfortunately, the experience is far worse than you depicted.

For those of you playing at home, here is your step-by-step guide to getting the same quality education as a $40,000 a year college will offer, from the comfort and safety of your home!

Step 1: Pick any two pieces of "good" literature written within 200 years of each other. You know a literary piece is good if it is over 100 years old.

Step 2: Write a compare-and-contrast essay about these two pieces of work. For best results, ensure that both articles have jack-shit to do with each other.

Step 3: Page 1 of your compare-and-contrast essay will be dull, unequivocally vague bullshit, outlining crap that you could have read in the first 3 lines of Wikipedia... except Wikipedia is a part of the internet where no one gets royalties from, so you can't use it. Its also very bad and 100% lies.

Step 4: Pages 2, 3, and 4 will all outline how these pieces of work are obviously difficult. If you could have easily written the entire content of these 3 pages in 4 sentences or less, CONGRATULATIONS! You are well on your way to becoming a professor!

Step 5: Page 5 will reverse everything the last 3 pages have said. For bonus points, use the line "Herein lines the similarities which irrefutably outlines how these two articles are similar to each other and/or were influenced by each other. Upon discovering this, my life is forever changed."

Step 6: Write  a half-to-full-page conclusion which summarizes up the rest of your paper for the professor who was too lazy to read the rest of your work... and by "professor," I mean TA.

Step 7: Turn in this in to a "professor" for their subjective grading. A professor is anyone who has played this game before you have. It does not matter if they have the intelligence of a toddler. If they smoke ample amounts of marijuana, they are especially qualified.

If you are a professor grading this highly academic paper, feel free to grade it any way you like. You can grade it by how good your coffee is, how pretty the font is, or by the more common method: does the paper make a good spliff?

With these easy steps, you too can get all the knowledge given with an English degree!

:D

Actually, chamber = short for chamberblocking so yeah it means what chamberblocking means. In Warband nobody refers to actions stopping attacks as parries, they are called blocks. It's only logical we refer to an action stopping an attack while chambering an attack is called chamberblock.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 05:05:32 am »
The day warband has a proper animation for the action is the day I start refering to using the RMB as a "Parry".  Until that day I will continue to refer to holding your weapon completely rigid and stopping the opponents swing in the same manner as a wall stops a runaway skateboarder as "blocking".

*Because of the aforementioned issue the act of cancelling your opponents attack by readying your own attack, or "chambering" your swing, is the reason I will continue to use the term "chamberblocking" and furthermore abreviate it as "chambering" completely without any remorse as it applies to the english language.*

TLDR:  GFYS.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Yachdiel

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • cRPG Player
  • Thraus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 07:21:38 am »
The word originates from the game manual, to chamber is to pull back a hit like chambering a bullet. And when the act of pulling back your hit causes you to parry it was referred to as a chamber block, so the term stuck simply with chamber- Chambering actually just means to pull back a swing.

Also I'm pretty sure in one of the earlier versions of Warband Native, you could hit someones hit and they would cancel and that was referred to as a parry but it was removed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:25:03 am by Yachdiel »