Author Topic: Throwing, and why it's bad  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing, and why it's bad
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »
Contributing to the thread

That is the point of agility builds, dodging, avoiding, fast speed, etc
Accuracy is great, you're not holding a fucking sniper rifle.
You seem to be coming from the perspective of someone that uses plate armor and a 2 handed weapon. I can say this with confidence because that's everyone.
I'm not even talking about agility builds here. Well I was, but anyone can wiggle side to side and fuck the hitboxes.

Faulty build. Either pick being hard hitting in throwing or being hard hitting in melee, you can have both, but it will take more hits to take a guy down (especially if he's wearing a plate armor).
Why is this a faulty build? I understand that by spreading out my skills I can't do certain things very well or even masterfully. But if I have seven power throw I have 56%+ extra damage on throwing weapons. The base damage of a jarid is 40. If I hit a plate user twice ANYWHERE it should kill them, period. The fact that it doesn't means the armor value on plate is too high. The balancing factor to this is supposed to be shields, moving out of the way, and the difficulty of actually hitting a target at all with throwing weapons.

The accuracy on throwing weapons is TERRIBLE but it is that way by design, and it makes sense. The part where this becomes a problem is in the hitboxes, which you seem to think are dandy or are ignoring because it's not something you disagree with, and that just makes you an argumentative ass that only wants to be right.

And the game isn't about bloody skill or it wouldn't be an RPG. Does the concept of improving certain skills numerically to have an advantage over others escape you? Yes skill comes into play but balance deserves a pretty high fucking seat.

The fact that you think my opinion isn't objective is just ad hominem and a large amount of projection. Instead of trying to refute my points you just insult me. How very gentlemanly.

Being forced to save gold for aeons just to buy equipment you can't wear is retarded by design and it needs to be changed or balanced in some way.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »
+1
You seem to be coming from the perspective of someone that uses plate armor and a 2 handed weapon. I can say this with confidence because that's everyone.
I'm not even talking about agility builds here. Well I was, but anyone can wiggle side to side and fuck the hitboxes.

Please point out the 2 hander and plate armor, thank you:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »
Why is this a faulty build? I understand that by spreading out my skills I can't do certain things very well or even masterfully. But if I have seven power throw I have 56%+ extra damage on throwing weapons. The base damage of a jarid is 40. If I hit a plate user twice ANYWHERE it should kill them, period. The fact that it doesn't means the armor value on plate is too high. The balancing factor to this is supposed to be shields, moving out of the way, and the difficulty of actually hitting a target at all with throwing weapons.

Aim for the head. Plate armor is supposed to have high armor value. It's PLATE ARMOR. That is a kind of a counter to throwing too.

The accuracy on throwing weapons is TERRIBLE but it is that way by design, and it makes sense. The part where this becomes a problem is in the hitboxes, which you seem to think are dandy or are ignoring because it's not something you disagree with, and that just makes you an argumentative ass that only wants to be right.

I never had problems hitting people on my thrower char. I suggest for a change you admit to yourself you can't aim and actually look for problems in you, not just blaim anything you can blaim as an excuse for your lack of skill.

And the game isn't about bloody skill or it wouldn't be an RPG. Does the concept of improving certain skills numerically to have an advantage over others escape you? Yes skill comes into play but balance deserves a pretty high fucking seat.

The game IS ABOUT BLOODY SKILL. It's Mount & Blade Warband improved by adding a little RPG / customization flavour to it. It's not a fucking MMORPG where everything depends on gear and how many hours you spend playing it. The game is balanced, skill wins, losers cry (you are a shining example).

The fact that you think my opinion isn't objective is just ad hominem and a large amount of projection. Instead of trying to refute my points you just insult me. How very gentlemanly.
Being forced to save gold for aeons just to buy equipment you can't wear is retarded by design and it needs to be changed or balanced in some way.

Just please, go back to whatever grind-ass mmorpg you came from.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:11:17 pm by Vibe »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 01:13:46 pm »
4 jarids seems fine against plate. Plate users are supposed to absorb alot of damage and deal alot of dmg to be honest. They are slow, so practice blocking and footwork and you too can take out plate.

also, did you just say this game isn't supposed to be about skill? I guess you actually might be playing the wrong game. Leveling gives you an advantage, it doesn't mean you dominate. Did you play alot of WoW?

also also:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:41:48 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
+3
/\/\/\ haha efb I guess.

OP, your only real point was about the wiggle dodge. There is some weird crap where flailing around spastically while blocking and wiggling around makes your hitbox near impossible to find. I've been spending a lot of rounds frustrated that I can't hit someone walking directly towards me because it looks like they're having a seizure while running at me.

I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:05 pm »

Looks about right.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:26 pm »
/\/\/\ haha efb I guess.

OP, your only real point was about the wiggle dodge. There is some weird crap where flailing around spastically while blocking and wiggling around makes your hitbox near impossible to find. I've been spending a lot of rounds frustrated that I can't hit someone walking directly towards me because it looks like they're having a seizure while running at me.

brilliant

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »
The "wiggle effect" applies to all ranged weapons.

Throwing weapons, bows and crossbows all have trouble with the spastic infantry.

Of course, if you aim well you can deal with such tactics, even if they naturally make hitting harder.

Lovely drawing as well.

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline ReLeNtLeSs

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Your tears fuel my Power Draw.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Falllen_ReLeNtLeSs
  • IRC nick: ReLeNtLeSs
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 05:15:52 pm »
+1
You started out with a very good point about the wiggling and hitboxes, but your argument went downhill fast from there.

And dude knows a thing or two about throwing. I'm pretty sure cheap_shot would go through withdrawals if throwing was removed.

Can we at least give the guy a break? He is brand new to the game and is only stating his opinion. This is a good thing. Let's not scare away the newbies by being so hostile.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:03 pm »
+3
+1 there.

Yemeth, to understand the animosity leveled at you, you need to understand the recent history of crpg, the patches, the changes, and the heated debate therein.

Since this is a mod, and the developers are active in the community and listen to them, there is intense and mean spirited lobbying going on in regards to game balancing issues. Don't take it personal if you are getting shouted down, just understand that many people have made the same arguments over and over again and are tired of hearing them, cheers.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 07:12:57 pm »
hehe I took 2 of his axes to my face (55 head armor, 5 IF) and survived with a tiny tick of health to be finished off later by a melee weapon glancing off me. xD
glad I went all out on my helmet that round, lol.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:34 pm »
+1
 :lol: Your comics are always awesome cheapshot.

Anyway, can we stop trolling the guy for a bit? I disagree completely with his original post, but its no reason to be  a dick to  him.

to the OP: Throwing is different from other ranged options. Its intended to be used at close range, and is a very high-risk yet high-reward change. At the moment, it is currently well balanced. Its not unusual for a dedicated thrower to drop an opponent in 1 to 2 hits regularly.
(click to show/hide)

Throwing also is a fantastic shield breaker, making life easier for your archer buddies, and some throwing weapons (namely the lance and heavy axes) are decent melee weapons as well.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol: