Author Topic: Throwing, and why it's bad  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Throwing, and why it's bad
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:15 am »
Hitboxes are too small, agility lets players wiggle back and forth to reduce their hitbox to a tiny sliver.

Accuracy is balls, even point blank.

If you hit someone in the head with two throwing axes, in precisely the same spot, they won't die. They just won't. I've only been playing a few days since I started against and I've already seen this two times. The same thing with Jarids - I can't count the times even in the past day that I've filled a plate user up with no fewer than 4 jarids, smacked them a few times with my axe, and still managed to get killed with one swing.

Also, there's no balancing factor for 2handers or polearms. You can say skill, sure, but in the event someone is so agile and so skilled that they can block every melee attack thrown at them you have situations where a naked woman with a rotten stick can fend off an army, or a charging warhorse just by blocking in the right direction.

Ranged weapons do so little damage to plate that there's literally no downside to using a 2hander, which is why we see so many of them.

So, tldr, buff ranged, nerf 2handers/polearms.

Also get rid of or drastically reduce repair costs.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing, and why it's bad
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
Oh, hi there, you must be new to cRPG  8-)

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:16 pm »
Hi there, are you always so constructive when you post?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:02 pm »
Door that way, cya :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:28 pm »
Door that way, see you  :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Hey, fuck you buddy, I didn't say I was quitting.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:04:11 pm »
Hey, fuck you buddy, I didn't say I was quitting.

Then get what I'm trying to tell you

ding ding :idea:

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:32 pm »
I get what you're saying, which is why I said fuck "you."

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »
You should listen to me, I'm a cool guy.

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »
You don't make any sense. =/

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1785
  • Infamy: 895
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:55 pm »
skilled that they can block every melee attack thrown at them you have situations where a naked woman with a rotten stick can fend off an army, or a charging warhorse just by blocking in the right direction.

That's the whole point of this game. Seems to me that you got lost, Mount&Blade isn't the right game for you. Try World of Warcraft  :wink:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »
How many hours did you spend playing cRPG?
Whats your build, what gear are you using?

Because what you're talking about is pure BS.

It seems to me like you want a grind/gear dependant game.

Offline Yemeth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
Well I'm a level away from my first retirement, so that should give you an idea of how long I've played.

Using an all-around build, couple points in athletics, shield, power throw and power strike and weapon master. I used to play in all plate with a warhammer/shield but repairs quickly made that impossible, so now I'm in mail as that's the highest I can sustain.

No, what I'm talking about is not BS. =/

And Leshma... I'm pretty sure the point of this game is to build up a character, RPG style. Not break physics. People die when they fall from large distances. Shields break when you bash them with axes. People die when you stab them in the face (unless its plated). But somehow its possible for a peasant to block a charging viking's 2handed axe an unlimited amount of times without her stick breaking. Great.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
You started out with a very good point about the wiggling and hitboxes, but your argument went downhill fast from there.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Kodiak

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
Well I'm a level away from my first retirement, so that should give you an idea of how long I've played.
Yes, not long enough.
Using an all-around build, couple points in athletics, shield, power throw and power strike and weapon master.
So you've botched your build...
No, what I'm talking about is not BS. =/
It mostly is
And Leshma... I'm pretty sure the point of this game is to build up a character, RPG style. Not break physics. People die when they fall from large distances. Shields break when you bash them with axes. People die when you stab them in the face (unless its plated). But somehow its possible for a peasant to block a charging viking's 2handed axe an unlimited amount of times without her stick breaking. Great.
Most importantly it's supposed to be a game, not a perfect simulation. If it isn't fun for you, don't play it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »
Contributing to the thread

Hitboxes are too small, agility lets players wiggle back and forth to reduce their hitbox to a tiny sliver.

That is the point of agility builds, dodging, avoiding, fast speed, etc

Accuracy is balls, even point blank.

Accuracy is great, you're not holding a fucking sniper rifle.

If you hit someone in the head with two throwing axes, in precisely the same spot, they won't die. They just won't. I've only been playing a few days since I started against and I've already seen this two times. The same thing with Jarids - I can't count the times even in the past day that I've filled a plate user up with no fewer than 4 jarids, smacked them a few times with my axe, and still managed to get killed with one swing.

Faulty build. Either pick being hard hitting in throwing or being hard hitting in melee, you can have both, but it will take more hits to take a guy down (especially if he's wearing a plate armor).

Also, there's no balancing factor for 2handers or polearms. You can say skill, sure, but in the event someone is so agile and so skilled that they can block every melee attack thrown at them you have situations where a naked woman with a rotten stick can fend off an army, or a charging warhorse just by blocking in the right direction.

The balancing factor is skill. This game is about skill. If you have a problem with a game that is skill dependant, then that's that.

Ranged weapons do so little damage to plate that there's literally no downside to using a 2hander, which is why we see so many of them.

Plate users are slow, pay highass upkeep and have a major reduction in WPF and can't dodge arrows that good. Yes it takes a few more arrows/thrown to kill them, but it's nowhere near as horrible as you describe.

So, tldr, buff ranged, nerf 2handers/polearms.

So, tldr, play more, get more skill and try to form an objective opinion about this matter, not just blatantly call nerfs on anything that kills you. Posters as you are so obvious, you wouldn't even have to tell us you're new to the game.

Also get rid of or drastically reduce repair costs.

Wear cheaper gear.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:44:21 pm by Vibe »