Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 38395 times)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #375 on: September 15, 2011, 07:57:23 am »
+1
I don't think you understood what I wrote, because your reply has nothing to do with what I was talking about or infact the topic of this thread.

neither you.

i just simply stated that: if you wear rags and seek fair fights around, you'll not help your team. period.

if you want to cooperate, you will need (depending on your build) to go in the brawl. for that you need proper gear. stating that good gear is useless compared to skill is not true. you USE your gear paired with your SKILL to be able to play EFFICIENTLY. and yes sometimes you need to take the beating to protect a good archer or a stopped teammate cavalry. sacrifice to help the team is often required. that's where my 6 of 13 generations spent on boosting armor and gauntlets kicks in.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #376 on: September 15, 2011, 12:02:04 pm »
+1
neither you.

i just simply stated that: if you wear rags and seek fair fights around, you'll not help your team. period.

if you want to cooperate, you will need (depending on your build) to go in the brawl. for that you need proper gear. stating that good gear is useless compared to skill is not true. you USE your gear paired with your SKILL to be able to play EFFICIENTLY. and yes sometimes you need to take the beating to protect a good archer or a stopped teammate cavalry. sacrifice to help the team is often required. that's where my 6 of 13 generations spent on boosting armor and gauntlets kicks in.

You quoted my post, thus what else am I to think other than your post was somehow suggesting that I was telling him to wear rags and seek fair fights, when I clearly wasn't. I was telling him to get good at the game before he worries about being able to upkeep massive plate armour and expensive weapons. An unskilled player in plate armour is just going to die the same as an unskilled player in any armour, that is my point. And yes, good equipment IS useless without skill, because you will die and kill nobody if you suck at the game still. Plus you are delusional if you think you need plate armour and a massive expensive weapon to do well for your team, it helps yes, but it is nothing without skill.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:05:54 pm by Leesin »

Offline bigb4486

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2011, 04:14:45 am »
I have a question and this thread seemed to be the only thing close enough to post in.

Just started playing again after a long break, my level 24 character went 3 days without getting a single upkeep (a lot, a lot of rounds. I made probably 18-20k without getting a single repair) and as soon as i used skip the fun on an alt, I started getting upkeep. Was I just ridiculously lucky or is there some kind of correlation?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:52 am »
Any character level 26 or higher, or generation 2+ pays upkeep. Gen 1 characters level 25 or less don't now, recent-ish change to help new players since Upkeep was increased.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xandaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:31 am »
Is the upkeep really altogether that terrible? I was reading up on this repair stuff, and so far what I've read is that at the end of each round in Battle mode, each equip slot has a 4% chance to cost 7% of the item's base cost in repairs.

Considering rounds on a filled 120 player Battle server take at least a few minutes (meaning you'll earn a bare minimum of 150g per round) is it actually possible to *lose* gold? 7% of, let's say, a 32K piece of armor or a horse would be pretty pricy, but each slot has a 4% chance to proc a repair cost, right? Maybe my math is off, but it just doesn't sound that scary to me. Especially considering if you and a few others on your team are wearing this ridiculous gear (and putting it to good use), chances should be good your team has a x5 multiplier anyway, meaning something more like 750g per round..

Correct me if I'm wrong, by the way. I'm new here and I might be. D:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:10 am »
4 percent chance per tick, arrows break more often though, and weps are based on wpf, so 1 wpf is a little over 11% chance while 140 wpf is about 2.5% chance per tick.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline SigismunT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:04 am »
Agree, that this is bullshit about upkeep. Atleast, make it lower or something since it makes repairing almost each 2-3 rounds mostly. ("I just repaired and ready to fight!" after 3 rounds "WTF ---___--- Do flambergs/armor really needs to be repaired after 1 fucking scratch? ---___---"). So imo it -must- be limited so balance will be growing up, not perma down. Otherwise it's becoming more and more about gold farming, which reminds me of silly WoW or D3. Btw, somebody said, that inbefore you had lots of people in armour, then I will tell you - nope.avi, there were max 3-5 men in black armour and about 10 in less plated armour. Devs really shouldn't ripping off virtual money like its real life, it doesn't even balance anything, since plates will be killed with xbow/bow, so why dont you add the huge upkeep for it too? Would be pretty much the same.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
+1
find an older thread to bring back from the dead why dont you?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2563
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 03, 2012, 12:33:57 pm »
Oh this was useful necro.

Archery upkeep is truly insane, archers weren't making up stories.

Whole point of that was to limit numbers of archers but it seems that didn't work very well.

How about you change archery upkeep so it's not the same as riding a horse in plate armor?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 03, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
/cast turn_undead

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #385 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:40 pm »
+2
Make armor slow you down more(and other needed balancing) and do away with upkeep.  It is a vile system that has never done anything but harm new players and people who don't have enough free time.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #386 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:07 pm »
I do like the upkeep, stops people from using plate/Cav all the time.
Through making so wpf is more effect by the heavy armors would help a lot ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #387 on: August 03, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »
I do like the upkeep, stops people from using plate/Cav all the time.
Through making so wpf is more effect by the heavy armors would help a lot ;)

You were in Kutt and you think upkeep stops people from using whatever they want?  Again, it only fucks over new players and people without enough free time.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #388 on: August 04, 2012, 04:24:35 am »
Well I have seen alot more chipped/broken weapons laying around.  Pretty surre these aren't from established players so it does seem to be hurting new players.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #389 on: August 04, 2012, 05:16:48 am »
+3
Banner balance is usually unfair except when the Hoplites get balanced to one team  :lol:
Just a soldier