Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 38399 times)

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • Renown: 430
  • Infamy: 211
  • cRPG Player
  • TotallyTugBoat on Steam
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOAT CLAN
  • Game nicks: TugBOAT
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2012, 05:28:06 am »
Banner balance is usually unfair except when the Hoplites get balanced to one team  :lol:

Ouch

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 04, 2012, 05:28:32 am »
I've been thinking about this a lot. Now that Strategus is out, why do we need upkeep?

Why can't Strategus be for the serious playing and plain old CRPG be just for fun again?

With these last few patches the game has become less and less fun. You have to worry about upkeep so you can't use your cool stuff all the time. The xp bonus has been nerfed to shit, so it takes forever to level. Those are the kinds of things that help make the game fun, but now it's just a painful grind.

Also with our current system, you are punished for losing instead of rewarded for playing. Every time you lose, you will probably lose a chunk of money. Not to mention that you'll be leveling at a fraction of the level of the speed you would be at if you won. It's kind of an unfair system that puts you at the mercy of autobalance. Especially since banner balance puts most of a clan on one team. I know when there's a lot of us on (ATS) we can roll a server for hours. I know other clans do the same exact thing. I just feel that the old system of money and xp for kills was overall more rewarding and more fun. With that system, just by playing you got rewarded. Even if you lost you still made a good amount of money and xp.

Now back to upkeep. Some people say that we need it so there aren't as many tincans and horses. Honestly, who gives a shit? Too many tincans? Bring a pierce or blunt weapon. Too many horses, get some awareness and a big, pointy stick. Plate isn't that great anymore anyway, especially with the dramatically reduced chance of glancing. Also, it would stop the devs from using upkeep as a lazy way to balance certain items. (*cough*XBOWS*cough*)

If we gained xp fast again, it would make leveling more enjoyable AND it would make it easier to make alts/play different builds, etc. Some people though will complain that people will get too many heirlooms this way. Again, who gives a shit? If Goretooth had 10,000 heirlooms it doesn't make the game less fun for me. It's not like someone having more heirlooms than me makes mine worse. You can only have so many heirlooms anyway, so what's the difference?

All-in-all, I think this game has lost a lot of the fun factor over the patches and I'd like to see it return. We have Strategus for the super-serious stuff anyway.

tl;dr Since Strategus is back, we have that for serious play. Let's remove upkeep and give back the xp bonus to make the regular game more fun again.

armour is overpowered, upkeep is the only nerf to it
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #392 on: August 04, 2012, 05:29:44 am »
+1
By removing upkeep you basically give everyone the green light to wear full milanese plate all day and use only the high end weapons.

Remind me again how this benefits new players?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #393 on: August 04, 2012, 05:34:25 am »
I do like the upkeep, stops people from using plate/Cav all the time.
Through making so wpf is more effect by the heavy armors would help a lot ;)

Oh, poor naive Muki.

I ask you 1 question. What stops a Frank from playing in full plate 24/7. Style and style only.

I went for 45min with out getting hit for upkeep on my cata or Gothic plate, I got super lucky but I still dodged the golden bullet.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #394 on: August 04, 2012, 05:36:40 am »
You were in Kutt and you think upkeep stops people from using whatever they want?  Again, it only fucks over new players and people without enough free time.

Not to hate, but i never'd used plate while in kutt :/

By removing upkeep you basically give everyone the green light to wear full milanese plate all day and use only the high end weapons.

^  Zan does have a good point
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #395 on: August 04, 2012, 05:54:19 am »
+3

Hey aren't you people Americans?

Have you never heard of trickle down?

Me in full plate scaring the peasants for life as I one shot them with a horse bump is inspirational. With out people like me in the... 85%??? I don't know, what ever. They would have no reason to ever doing anything but roll around in the mud, they just don't have the culture needed to grow by themselves, they need to be inspired and get trickled on.

-----

I had my new favorite moment in c-rpg the other day. I ran around a corner in full plate and there was a peasant with a long spear, I just ran at him with out blocking and his pock wiffed off the armour, I kept running he poked again and it wiffed so he threw the long spear on the ground and ran for it. Funniest moment ever.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #396 on: August 04, 2012, 06:46:59 am »
Me in full plate scaring the peasants for life as I one shot them with a horse bump is inspirational. With out people like me in the... 85%??? I don't know, what ever. They would have no reason to ever doing anything but roll around in the mud, they just don't have the culture needed to grow by themselves, they need to be inspired and get trickled on.

found my new sig!  Thanks Frank!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #397 on: August 04, 2012, 08:03:06 am »
armour is overpowered, upkeep is the only nerf to it

Ah ah, fucking what?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #398 on: August 04, 2012, 08:16:59 am »

VERY UNFRIENDLY FOR NEW PERSONS

no new news ...since release ..
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #399 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30:43 am »
+1

The thing is, upkeep hurts new players the most. All these veterans have enough cash to wear whatever the fuck they want whenever they want to for unending periods. And soon they'll just sell another loom point, they have no need to worry about repairs. Where new players are stuck with shit gear trying to just get through their first gen or two without quitting. At least without upkeep the playing field is evened and anyone can be a plate baddy.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #400 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:01 am »
How you two can't comprehend why upkeep is bad for new players is so beyond me that I'm never reading or posting in this thread again.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:37 am »

Well Frank, it's time the new players try harder

"IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, TRY, TRY AGAIN. Don't give up too easily; persistence pays off in the end. - From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996, Page 154)

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #402 on: August 04, 2012, 10:52:31 am »
+2

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:56:15 am by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:18 am »
+1

(click to show/hide)

Hey he needs that gold for his flying carpet army ;)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
+1
Hey he needs that gold for his flying carpet army ;)
Yeah those carpets and staffs must cost a fortune to buy. Not to speak the upkeep costs :F.

There is no sight in my third eye