Author Topic: Strategus Spawns  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: Strategus Spawns
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »
I've kinds stopped signing up as defender for villages. Not much point when they last about 3 minutes with heavy infantry slaughtering you and capping your spawn.

I'll rather take 3 minutes worth of experience on battle.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »
I've kinds stopped signing up as defender for villages. Not much point when they last about 3 minutes with heavy infantry slaughtering you and capping your spawn.

I'll rather take 3 minutes worth of experience on battle.
Don't give up, join the Village movement! If a lot of people sign up for peasants, we will still have fun battles!

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:41 pm »
S'pose I could join up for a few.

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »
Did you miss the half dozen bitch threads about spawn captures that came before the Mercs did it?

You are not special enough to have caused this, sorry. No one is discriminating against Mercs.

Mkay fair nuff. I dont check forums that much tbh. But if there already threads on this matter, why was this topic made?
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:20 pm »
Did you miss the half dozen bitch threads about spawn captures that came before the Mercs did it?

You are not special enough to have caused this, sorry. No one is discriminating against Mercs.

I think Muffin is very special.
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:23 pm »
I've seen the video of that battle. If BRD had just set up on the hill overlooking or charged straight to the entrance of the village instead of widely flanking around with their entire force, the Merc cav wouldnt have been able to approach the spawn undetected for so long, and more importantly the infantry would never have been able to rush past up the hill and straight to the spawn. Apparently people have been complaining about these capturable spawns for a while, so BRD really had no excuse to be surprised. They failed to take it into account.
Maybe they wanted to minimize their casualties and loss of equip, but with overwhelming numbers a short sharp fight would have been enough. Probably they were also planning a spawn rape.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
actually we had no intention of going for the spawn. we were just going to get the archers in range of the enemy and bleed them dry. Welcome to the wonderful world of "Shit happens".

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 08:38:41 pm »
I've seen the video of that battle. If BRD had just set up on the hill overlooking or charged straight to the entrance of the village instead of widely flanking around with their entire force, the Merc cav wouldnt have been able to approach the spawn undetected for so long, and more importantly the infantry would never have been able to rush past up the hill and straight to the spawn. Apparently people have been complaining about these capturable spawns for a while, so BRD really had no excuse to be surprised. They failed to take it into account.
Maybe they wanted to minimize their casualties and loss of equip, but with overwhelming numbers a short sharp fight would have been enough. Probably they were also planning a spawn rape.

Correction you had 20 more mercs then us because of a bug about 15 of our hired mercenaries kept rejoining the server and just couldn't get in.  We also tried hiring almost entirely EU mercs as every battle was on EU ping  even our defense/neutral village attacks and also why we couldn't attack and take the neutral village of Amere before you (thanks chadz for making it easy on EU), which made it very difficult to coordinate compared to using our own clanmates.  There was no command to go to the top of the hill, I was yelling get to spawn from the beginning and there was a failure in communication partly because of such a high reliance on EU mercs where everybody seemed to follow a few archers who rushed to the top of the hill the second they spawned and  a new vent to handle 60 people at once (old capacity was 45).

It was not overwhelming numbers as having more mercs is far more telling in determining who can take the other person's spawn as you could attack our spawn with 55 to our 35, including heavy cav.  There are several reasons that led to this situation both in the battle and on the Strategus map, but the biggest reasons are chadz didn't allow the alternate NA strategus server to be used for the entire first week of strategus and one single spawn point determines the battle (even easier than the old spawn rape scenarios), obviosuly both are things that need fixing and are being fixed but it cost us more than others.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:40:02 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
I've left Mercs, been "common knowledge" on EU servers for a few weeks already, so wasn't in the battle, my impressions are entirely from watching Ripper's vid.
The overemphasis on the spawn point mechanic is a little much though tbh. Like I said, it's something that apparently is an integral part of these early Strat battles even if not working as intended (I haven't even played even one battle yet in the new system) since so many were won by overwhelming a spawn point. So def something to take into account, which you guys obviously didn't, or you would have at least left a token defence, or at least not left a gaping wide highway straight to it. It seemed as though the idea of the Mercs capturing your spawn wasn't taken seriously, if at all.
On disorganized random hires, yeah I can see that, it's risky to hire from EU when you're NA and vice versa because you most often have no idea how reliable the guys are. And it must really suck not having a Strat server with reliable ping in the opening plays of new Strat. Wasn't really a defeat for BRD so much as of an almost entirely merc force led by a few BRD's, so I can see your point on that score. I still think it could have been avoided, but I'm not privy to the actual tactics that were discussed  so I could be totally wrong.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:10:59 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
As i mentioned in a diff thread, we had long spears for our troops, so yes we could have had a decent spawn defence force, the big issue is... how do you attack 61 players (even with 51 of them using bad gear) when you have 10-15 of your 44 players (since 15 or so kept crashing) defending your spawn point. the cav could have just massacred the 29-34 troops who were trying to attack the village. true we would have won eventually... but the cost of victory would have actually been higher than the cost of losing the spawn point.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
As i mentioned in a diff thread, we had long spears for our troops, so yes we could have had a decent spawn defence force, the big issue is... how do you attack 61 players (even with 51 of them using bad gear) when you have 10-15 of your 44 players (since 15 or so kept crashing) defending your spawn point. the cav could have just massacred the 29-34 troops who were trying to attack the village. true we would have won eventually... but the cost of victory would have actually been higher than the cost of losing the spawn point.

Post in the thread I just created...

If you had more physical people in game to represent the almost 2:1 troop tickets, it would have been easier to defend.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:05 pm »
It was not overwhelming numbers as having more mercs is far more telling in determining who can take the other person's spawn as you could attack our spawn with 55 to our 35, including heavy cav.  There are several reasons that led to this situation both in the battle and on the Strategus map, but the biggest reasons are chadz didn't allow the alternate NA strategus server to be used for the entire first week of strategus and one single spawn point determines the battle (even easier than the old spawn rape scenarios), obviosuly both are things that need fixing and are being fixed but it cost us more than others.

Duh...you attacked us, you'd be forced to play on EU anyway. Seriously, do you still wonder why you lost?
Even if you left some guys on spawn defending it, they had blue pyjamas man, we would smash them with these armoured horses.

The reasons you've lost  are pretty simple

1 You were overconfident, you thought outnumbering us would be enough.
2 Charging enemy mindlessly is not a strategy, check the video when we were at your spawn you guys already crossed half of the map. We actually have a plan in there, you don't.
3 Spawn points yeah....but there are 2 spawn points on the map, you could take ours please stop crying about that. Now you know your mistake, don't do it again until it gets fixed. Defending the spawn with 40 pikes also doesn't make sense. As you can see I face you with less troops and I keep winning, you caught us off guard, and we won, you outnumbered us and we still won. Do you really think its just EU mercs and ping only? You obviously lack experience as a tactician, you might be a great archer I don't know but obviously you are not a great tactician.

I really suggest you to listen Matey, he makes more sense than you do. If there were no spawns, maybe we wouldn't waste money on horses and buy heavier armour against your pyjamas. We are smart enough to calculate your budget. You'd take the village but the damage would be tremendous. Check the bottle neck formations, Battle of Thermopylae is a great example for that and Emirin is a death trap for attackers.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »
Just let them think whatever they want, they won't learn if they will keep thinking that it was all about EU, broken spawnpoints and stuff like that.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:24 pm »
I really suggest you to listen Matey, he makes more sense than you do.

8-)

Offline Fassbinder

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »
When it comes to the spawn issue it seems there should be a tug of war like battle... Where the defenders could have 3 spawn points once one is captured they spawn from Spawn point 2 and have the ability to retake the lost one(s). To be honest I think that a group of people who were lucky enough to hold a pile of logs for 20 seconds don't deserve victory, what about sitting on a log scares away 400 some villagers from fighting, I'm not saying it is a dumb system it helps to keep your people prioritized but as I stated above I think the Tug of war game is the best.