Author Topic: Strategus Spawns  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Strategus Spawns
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
+1
I think the reason why people are making such an issue out of this, and not so much before, is not because it involved BRD or Mercs. It is likely being made such a large fuss over because all previous spawn captures had a superior or equal sized force taking the disorganized randomer villagers, where as this is for the first time that a substantially smaller force spawn captured a victory against an attacker and thus was extremely unexpected for some folks (though honestly a lot of people were already making up similar hypotheticals especially after the LLJK made a troop profit from a spawn capture).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Raxmus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Raxmus
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 07:47:27 am »
Just for the record, spawn system is currently not working as intended.

The flags should have been the target after you have pushed the enemy force back, not as the main target right away from the start.

We'll consider how to improve this.

Thank you chadz. It's rather silly to have a huge ticket system and have that be completely nullified by happening to run in some units to a certain location on the map.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:49:16 am by Raxmus »

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 08:25:28 am »
today we pushed kapikulus and came to invisible barrier. couldn't make it to their spawn. after that we drew back to village and - lost the battle
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 09:00:28 am »

The flags should have been the target after you have pushed the enemy force back, not as the main target right away from the start.

Good to hear this, thank you donkey  :D

You complain about this when we win  battle after hours of planning for it and equipment checks and restrictions, I fought in a battle for str against an AI village. Str charged and capped spawm. They lost 15 men and captured the 400 tickets left to the defenders. All clans have been doing this. And its only now that merc use it that a thread is put up?  Its very easy to point fingers at people. Try looking at yourself first before you start pointing eh?

The (strategus)world doesnt turn around YOU. There have been complaints about that mechanic before, so stop whining.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:54 am »

Add multiple spawn points for each side, and make them take longer to take, like a flag in siege.

Offline Graf_Hodenschaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Trade Guild
  • Game nicks: Graf_Hodenschaf
  • IRC nick: Graf_Hodenschaf
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 09:54:35 am »
Add multiple spawn points for each side, and make them take longer to take, like a flag in siege.

+1
Livestreaming crpg:  twitch.tv/beerman_aut

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »
mmh, it's not the same system you know, flag is by standing next to it whereas spawn is activating it

probably it could take longer but in this case when someone is activating it spawning should be disabled, imagine 1 min pressing f with all the enemies spawning next to you ?

about what chadz said, it would have been the target after pushing back the enemy if they didn't leave it wild open

then as i said several times, it's a retreat, not a slaughter when taking spawn

have a look on the other side, if BRD took Mercs' spawn in the beggining and then killed them Mercs 'troops and equipment left would have been transferred to BRD, whereas it wasn't the case this time

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:47 pm »
Why don't scale the max number of hired mercs on the number of tickets?

this will really represent the size of an army, for example :
army A - 1200 tickets vs army B - 300 tickets (strange example i know) as army A as 4 times more tickets it should have more hired ppl.
On a base of 150 player max, this will make A-120 vs B-30 (or may be just a half scale : 90 vs 60).

Offline Rubicon

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • perfect & modest
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rubicon, COCKY, Rubicav
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »
Then pub crawl thingy will be the new glitch. XX vs X
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Different

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Alatar, and many more
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »
Why don't scale the max number of hired mercs on the number of tickets?

this will really represent the size of an army, for example :
army A - 1200 tickets vs army B - 300 tickets (strange example i know) as army A as 4 times more tickets it should have more hired ppl.
On a base of 150 player max, this will make A-120 vs B-30 (or may be just a half scale : 90 vs 60).

Well that would make it more similar to the original singleplayer campaign,  I would like that implemented

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »
+1
Just want to add something about this. The statement that the Merc force had superior equipment is quite misleading. They gambled on having 10 or so extremely well equipped cavalry, and everyone else had very poor gear. It is also likely that they only had 1 spawn worth of the good gear for each of those cavalry. BRD on the other hand, had moderately well equipped 1200 troops. In other words, we spent more money equipping an army, as opposed to spending a smaller sum to equip a single commando strike force. The gamble for the Mercs paid off big time and was very well executed and it shows the problems with the current system. We should have guarded our spawn, that is true, but if you think about it, we had about 44 or our players able to spawn in (10 or so were unable to join as they were getting kicked out). If 10 of our 44 players had spawned with some of the long spears we bought and held our spawn, we would have essentially been attacking the village with 34 players and few or no polearm players... at this point the heavy cav squad of Mercs could have executed many effective cav charges against our infantry that would be quite vulnerable to cav. Our spawn was quite far from the village, so in order for even the archers to engage they had to run quite a way. We likely would have picked off the cav one by one and won the battle, but the cost might have been 300-500 troops from the heavy cav charges. In the end, we lost very few troops, and the Mercs got to keep Emerin. This battle was very useful in terms of showcasing many of the current issues with the current form of strategus, obviously we would have liked for a different out come, but we did learn a lot from it.

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »

The (strategus)world doesnt turn around YOU. There have been complaints about that mechanic before, so stop whining.

Umad? This whole thread is whining about spawn systems! And Im the one who says everyone has been doing it, so stop complaining when we do it. And... then you.....wh-... Im sorry someone is going to have to speak to you because I just.. cant.

(click to show/hide)
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
its just boring, and should be terminated.. no more capturing spawns

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »
Umad? This whole thread is whining about spawn systems! And Im the one who says everyone has been doing it, so stop complaining when we do it. And... then you.....wh-... Im sorry someone is going to have to speak to you because I just.. cant.

(click to show/hide)

Yeah... you said everyone did it but only after merc did it they complained about merc doing it. Thats not true... there were threads about it before already. Confused? Me too  :mrgreen:
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2011, 07:08:33 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Did you miss the half dozen bitch threads about spawn captures that came before the Mercs did it?

You are not special enough to have caused this, sorry. No one is discriminating against Mercs.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.