Author Topic: The Two Hander Problem and Crushthrough  (Read 7956 times)

Offline Preacher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The Two Hander Problem and Crushthrough
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:58 pm »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:24:40 pm by Kalam »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: The Two Hander Problem and Crushthrough
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »
Yeah...I do not understand why 2h, the most effective playstyle in the game, is not getting nerfed like cav and archery is...especially when most ppl are calling for 2h being nerfed (per the official poll).

:?:

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »
How to beat a strength build with a crushthrough mace as a 1hander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iJTi_OITEo
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »
Ah, come on. Have you played when Barmace, Long iron mace and some other has crusthrough? People kept bitching about it, so it got removed. Now u ask for nerf of the only remaining crushing weapons? If you get raped by a hammer guy who made his build in order to crush 100percently, just adjust your playstyle. Dance around him, hammers are not just slow, but have also small range, easy to counter.

Twohanders were getting screwed indirectly, being with new sword stab animation, last recent speed debuff, soak changes which mean i have to hit more times to kill a guy with 1Her than he needs to kill me and stuff, yet people still keep complaining. Come on, just try to adjust, you really only need to dodge first attack and then spam the shit out of him:)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:25 pm »
+3
2 handed was severely nerfed with the new animations... I take it you don't remember c-RPG before the slot system and the rampant LOL-Stabs? The speeds were also removed for heirlooms...

2 handers do not need a nerf. This si coming from someone who finds 2-handed one of his least favorite classes.

People need to Stop calling for nerfs on everything and instead find one thing that is the focal point of the game, then nerf and buff other items from there.

c-RPG needs to stabilize not keep nerfing everything into the ground until we are WoW with foam wiffle bats.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:40:36 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:55 pm »
How to beat a strength build with a crushthrough mace as a 1hander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iJTi_OITEo

If you can land the kick, great but most people can't do this.  I'd say get in a side swing duel, make sure your positioning is always on the opposite end where your swinging so your hit lands first if he dares attempt an overhead.  Obviously you still have to block if he decides to do a side swing but make him pay if he ever tries his crushthrough attack.  Granted, this won't work if he's working together with someone and if he's a good mauler he probably is, in which case you're better off running away. 

I am telling you though, there is nothing OP except teamwork.  Put shielder + shielder with spear together and it's the most infuriating combo.  At least with a shielder + mauler they give you the decency to die quickly.

Two-handers in general are rather worthless.  Make two two-handers work together and they have a much bigger chance of TKing each other compared to if one of them was a shielder.    You also don't get the benefit of the shielder able to completely tie up whoever you're gang banging.  The ability to hold up right block and just let the shield take blows while the other guy does all the damage is ridiculous.  Mauls are good I'll give you that especially deadly when paired with a shielder, but don't lump in the rest of the two-handers with them.  I feel like that would be saying lancing cavalry is OP therefore we must nerf polearms.
-idlewind

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
2 handed was severely nerfed with the new animations... I take it you don't remember c-RPG before the slot system and the rampant LOL-Stabs?
Animations? They only got a new stab animation afaik. Except the Flamberge, which gradually got polearm animations on anything but the right swing.

Crushtrough is fine atm really, only skilled blockers can attempt it and dodging/spamming them is quite easy.

Don't mind the fish.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »
Dont nerf crushthtough as i've built one of my builds around it, any half decent player can spam us to death if we try to overhead and it your own fault if you die in a 1v1 to a mauler.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »
+2
Are you high? two hand class is the one that is consistently messed with on every fkn patch...

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »
+1
you're not the first person to complain about crushthrough, but really its not much of a problem these days. If you're a shielder, its "harder" to deal with a crushmy old friend because hes your natural counter. I say "hard" because if you drop your shield and fight with just 1h, you'd actually have the spam advantage against the mauler. Crushmy old friends are pretty much countered by any 2h/polearm with half a brain and moderate footwork, Nevermind the rangers that pick off an unshielded crushmy old friend.

Crushthrough is "cheap", but without it, whos gonna take care of those fucking shield walls?

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:26:34 am »
Crushthrough is "cheap", but without it, whos gonna take care of those fucking shield walls?

axes perhaps? :D

Offline Preacher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:48 am »
Wow you guys are totally right, it's completely balanced that you can crushthrough a block, knock the guy down, then hit him again, what was I thinking  :rolleyes: , ohh and it can be done with a weapon longer than any shielders.

-edit- The length issue refers to the long maul which is a polearm but still a hammer with crushthough and knockdown
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:02:29 am by Preacher »

Offline Preacher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:08:06 am »
Come on, just try to adjust, you really only need to dodge first attack and then spam the shit out of him:)

Of course I know how to do this, but when that one hit connects AND knocks you down you are out, not to mention your strategy suggests I am dueling the hammer one on one, when in reality there are two other kill avarice people on either side of him waiting for the stun and knockdown so they can finish you off. There is no spamming in that situation.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:08 am »
Wow you guys are totally right, it's completely balanced that you can crushthrough a block, knock the guy down, then hit him again, what was I thinking  :rolleyes: , ohh and it can be done with a weapon longer than any shielders.

-edit- The length issue refers to the long maul which is a polearm but still a hammer with crushthough and knockdown
actually almost every single 1h outreaches the long maul. Short maces are of equal length, like the war hammer.
The swing from the right on a 1h adds a ton of reach, pole arms lose reach, by the way.

I have no problems fighting people with mauls, I win 90% of those encounters. That is with 1h. If i lose with something else, that is embarrassing...
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:57:38 am »
Of course I know how to do this, but when that one hit connects AND knocks you down you are out, not to mention your strategy suggests I am dueling the hammer one on one, when in reality there are two other kill avarice people on either side of him waiting for the stun and knockdown so they can finish you off. There is no spamming in that situation.

So you're complaining that you are having trouble with a support weapon when it's being used in a support role?

1 on 1, maul users are hilariously easy to beat. If there's more than one, find a friend with a long spear. Problem solved.