Author Topic: Upkeep system flawed  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Re: Upkeep system flawed
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:30:46 am »
It's not like anything is forcing you to use plate, everyone is playing with the same upkeep system as you do and not everyone is complaining so SURELY you must be the problem.

Unless you're using some Beta Upkeepsystemus™ that no one else is using yet that is discriminating only you.

The upkeep is preventing me from using my plate most of the time and I rather enjoy using my armor, its my style, and I cant afford it, unlike a fucking ninja or you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline InTheFade

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Cracks in the ceiling...
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: InTheFade, InTheFard
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 06:39:36 am »
I have a bunch of different sets of gear that I run around in depending on the situation. If my team is doing crap, I have a cheap 14k Bananaman set (Magyar helmet + cav robe) that doesn't really make or lose money if I'm stuck on x1. If the teams are well balanced, I use my 24k Samurai set and when I'm riding x5 for an hour, I switch to my 45k Bender outfit (Tangancha helm + Rus scale). For all of these, the most expensive weapon I use is a katana, but I usually use a miaodao, or a great axe if I'm up against a bunch of shielders.

By doing this, I've probably made 15k in the last week (could be more, I don't really keep track). Plate is a waste of time for me, way too much of a speed penalty to justify the extra armor. And I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to target platers when I play. It counts for nothing if you can't block an axe to the head 5 times  8-)

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:54 am »
I have a bunch of different sets of gear that I run around in depending on the situation. If my team is doing crap, I have a cheap 14k Bananaman set (Magyar helmet + cav robe) that doesn't really make or lose money if I'm stuck on x1. If the teams are well balanced, I use my 24k Samurai set and when I'm riding x5 for an hour, I switch to my 45k Bender outfit (Tangancha helm + Rus scale). For all of these, the most expensive weapon I use is a katana, but I usually use a miaodao, or a great axe if I'm up against a bunch of shielders.

By doing this, I've probably made 15k in the last week (could be more, I don't really keep track). Plate is a waste of time for me, way too much of a speed penalty to justify the extra armor. And I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to target platers when I play. It counts for nothing if you can't block an axe to the head 5 times  8-)
I just use 35k worth of gear all the time and make like 8k a day.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:31 am »
Made like 30k in a few days using 41k worth of gear.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »
The upkeep is preventing me from using my plate most of the time and I rather enjoy using my armor, its my style, and I cant afford it, unlike a fucking ninja or you.

I wouldn't actually mind you using plate if it was purely aesthetic, turns out it's not and plate gives you a clear advantage over anyone else.

"Ohh, I'm not crutching on plate armor, OH FUCK I CAN'T USE MY PLATE ARMOR? GOOD GOD UPKEEP IS SHIT AND IS PREVENTING ME FROM CRUTCHING BECAUSE I'M  A NOBODY NOT WORTH SHIT THAT CAN'T DO JACK OUTSIDE HIS ARMOR"

-BobtheHerp

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 03:31:20 pm »
im not sure what crutching is, but tbh, most people in plate are relatively easy to kill since they are slow. The ones that are good in plate are really good players because they don't need speed to beat you, just skill.
the weight balances the armor gain.

ps: i really only wear heavy stuff so i can survive more random arrows flying around
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:36:44 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »
im not sure what crutching is, but tbh, most people in plate are relatively easy to kill since they are slow. The ones that are good in plate are really good players because they don't need speed to beat you, just skill.
the weight balances the armor gain.

I guess you haven't fought a bec using tin can?  Basically the system doesn't allow you to swing twice without having to block in-between unless you have better footwork,  Exchanging blow for blow and block for block, 2 equally skilled players fight, the tincan can take 6-7 hits from my sword, he can 1-2 shot me with his bec.  Who will win 80% of the time in an equal skill fight? - tin can.  I actually agree this should be the case, you are paying a lot of money to do so (though I still see plenty of people constantly in tin can suit, must sell their heirlooms).  And I agree that it should be enormously expensive as it is a huge privilege to be armored like the richest knight in the land instead of a poor peasant.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 03:39:43 pm »
I guess you haven't fought a bec using tin can?  Basically the system doesn't allow you to swing twice without having to block in-between unless you have better footwork,  Exchanging blow for blow and block for block, 2 equally skilled players fight, the tincan can take 6-7 hits from my sword, he can 1-2 shot me with his bec.  Who will win 80% of the time in an equal skill fight? - tin can.  I actually agree this should be the case, you are paying a lot of money to do so (though I still see plenty of people constantly in tin can suit, must sell their heirlooms).  And I agree that it should be enormously expensive as it is a huge privilege to be armored like the richest knight in the land instead of a poor peasant.

really? i take out plenty of bec tincans with my danish great, whats the range on the bec? usually i use footwork to avoid their swings and stab em.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »
really? i take out plenty of bec tincans with my danish great, whats the range on the bec? usually i use footwork to avoid their swings and stab em.
Your EU, in NA no one had ATH and can outrange the really short bec.

Offline Spartan793

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Spartan
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
What im getting at is that plate armour and other things I can udnerstand, should stop you from earning as much gold to stop the amount of platers, but you shouldn't have to be paying to the right to use the armour you have already spent plenty of time earning.

One thing that does irritate me is that im gaining NO money at all, in fact losing a fair amount playing in amour and weapons I'd porbably expect to be wearing less than a week into SP.... It makes no sence.

Surly just increasing the prices and weights will punish platers if theres really far to many of them... Why make the rest of us suffer?

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 04:24:29 pm »
+1
^ Pretty much why would a ninja be able to play his prefered style but a plater couldnt?

Ninja and samurai are forking out tons of cash as well so it's not just you plated-platingtons, just wearing my daisho (to mark me as a samurai coz Im so weaboo and ghey) is making me pay ridiculous amounts of cash, katana costs me 663 and it's not even close to being able to compare stats-wise vs a heavy bastard sword or longsword.

So, can I play my prefered style? Fuck yea, but it's costing me an arm and a leg and I'm not even wearing heavy armor or using decent weapons so at least you're paying an arm and a leg for decent equipment.... I'm just paying for 'exotic' gear that is sub-par to any europeon equivalent that would cost less to upkeep.

IMO upkeep is fine I guess, it's a little too random for me especially when you start a new character and you're forking out 460 bucks for a lamellar vest 3 times in a row on a x1 (low-medium tier armor)

Only reason I'm posting is coz, yeah platers pay more, but their equip is decent and actually worth the cost, I'm forking out 663 repairs for a daggar that bounces off of anyone not in cloth, 968 for a shorter, slower, non stabby great sword, 500+ for my wakizashi, which is one of the most useless 1 handers in the game.

in conclusion, upkeep means, you pay to look bad ass. Deal with it.

I like Spartan's idea of balancing heavy armor's advantages and disadvantages and making heavy armor more sustainable on the battle (but not an instant win button obviously), but it seems next to impossible to balance something like that. (which is why upkeep appeared)

Just my dumb ass opinion, just speaking my mind.

Again, to Bobthehero, ninja and samurai are paying shit tons for crap equip, at least your equip is decent and you can pretend that the cost is worth it...........
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:34:23 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »
And even the concept seems kinda messed up to me, those guys in the more heavy armour fighting for their team and the multipliers, generally doign a better job at gaining the than the random naked people are having to pay more.
Well, you can ask around, I'm such a useless Tincan that people don't straight out insult me using words of homosexuality anymore, they just suggest me to wear black armor :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)
+1

I thought you used a Nodachi, though?

Offline Gumdrawp

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: dolphin fan club
  • Game nicks: Gumdrawp_dfc
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

Noone in plate will take more than 4 hits to kill with a good MW 2 hander given you have enough sense to try to have a speed modifier on your attacks and a moderate amount of PS.

Honestly if people are so upset by the fact that plate lets you live longer in tradeoff for movement and swing speed you should just respec now and roll around in a goretooth set. I think you complain about the wrong things sometimes though; what needs a nerf more than plate armor are crossbows and the bec itself. Plate armor has enough drawbacks to warrant the extra survivability you gain by wearing it.

On a side note I could stand to see the upkeep reduced a bit but I would be worried about the total amount of gold in CRPG, you dont really want the number to grow to retarded amounts and everything get super inflated.

EDIT: Also the system does let you swing twice in a row without blocking if you castor swing people. I guess technically that would fall under footwork though
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:45:00 pm by Gumdrawp »

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:51 pm »
Now I cans ee where it might come in handy meaning avoiding every player runnign around in full plate.

But how can it be fair that wearing some pretty basic equipment im being forced to shell out around 400-600 gp per game? Now to say that there are only about 5 clicks a game im having to play on a x2 multiplayer to even stand a chance of keeping th money i have, never midn making more.

And even the concept seems kinda messed up to me, those guys in the more heavy armour fighting for their team and the multipliers, generally doign a better job at gaining the than the random naked people are having to pay more. So i'd have a mroe productive time sat naked charging in doing sod all to aid the battle. Seems kinda wrong to me

Is there somthign im missing or is that all there is to it, because if so then i seriously dont see how im supposed to collect a decent amount of money

I use 30k cost equipments and  made 25k in 3 days.

Tip: if u keep losing and constant x1 ofc ur gonna lose some money. STOP WHINING AND START KILLING

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »
+1
Noone in plate will take more than 4 hits to kill with a good MW 2 hander

Not everyone has a damn MW weapon you know.  Fighting you, tydeus and goretooth last night you each took around 5-7 thrusts from full hp for me to kill with my lawlpike (32p) on Braxxus.

Balancing around MW's is silly imo since we're not going to be using them in strat.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?