Author Topic: Upkeep system flawed  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Spartan793

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Spartan
Upkeep system flawed
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:55 pm »
Now I cans ee where it might come in handy meaning avoiding every player runnign around in full plate.

But how can it be fair that wearing some pretty basic equipment im being forced to shell out around 400-600 gp per game? Now to say that there are only about 5 clicks a game im having to play on a x2 multiplayer to even stand a chance of keeping th money i have, never midn making more.

And even the concept seems kinda messed up to me, those guys in the more heavy armour fighting for their team and the multipliers, generally doign a better job at gaining the than the random naked people are having to pay more. So i'd have a mroe productive time sat naked charging in doing sod all to aid the battle. Seems kinda wrong to me

Is there somthign im missing or is that all there is to it, because if so then i seriously dont see how im supposed to collect a decent amount of money
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:25:37 pm by Kalam »

Offline Miranda

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Jeannie_d_Arc, GK_Kira_Rayl, Miranda
Re: Upkeep system flawed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:52:44 am »
Now I cans ee where it might come in handy meaning avoiding every player runnign around in full plate.

But how can it be fair that wearing some pretty basic equipment im being forced to shell out around 400-600 gp per game? Now to say that there are only about 5 clicks a game im having to play on a x2 multiplayer to even stand a chance of keeping th money i have, never midn making more.

And even the concept seems kinda messed up to me, those guys in the more heavy armour fighting for their team and the multipliers, generally doign a better job at gaining the than the random naked people are having to pay more. So i'd have a mroe productive time sat naked charging in doing sod all to aid the battle. Seems kinda wrong to me

Is there somthign im missing or is that all there is to it, because if so then i seriously dont see how im supposed to collect a decent amount of money

I feel your pain. Im not a wealthy player (around 30K Gold, 25K atm) and i wear 28K worth of gear.

Norman Helmet -    992 Gold
Light Kuyak    - 6.755 Gold
Mail Mittens    - 1.376 Gold
Mail Boots      -  2.998 Gold
Danish GS      - 15.922 Gold
-----------------------------------
Total Equip.      28.054 Gold

Thats a average ammount of gear, nothing fancy (except for the Danish Greatsword).
I realy am struggeling to save up any gold, overall tonight im down like 5G and at a certain point i was even down 10K  :shock:. So i had to do some siege to get me back up to 25K (and i realy dislike sieges lol)

The people that say: "Upkeep is perfect now" are players that are very wealthy and can affort to loose some (or atleast thats what i think) but for an average player like me its realy a pain in the ass.

A few days ago i was curious how a totally new player would manage, so i made an alt with a 1H and a shield with realy crappy gear and to my supprize i cant even earn any money for that one.

Maybe im just unlucky but it dont seem right to me.
The old upkeep was better imo.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:59:19 am by Miranda »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:01:23 am »
The upkeep is perfect for me.

But then again I wear anywhere from <1,000 gold worth of gear to <20,000 gold worth of gear.

While the upkeep itself may be flawed and limiting you in what you want to wear you don't need that much gear to be good, I've had alot of fun recently running around with hide boots red tunic and  a scythe and still killing very easily and easily being in the top of the scoreboard.

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:08:21 am »
I feel your pain. Im not a wealthy player (around 30K Gold, 25K atm) and i wear 28K worth of gear.

Norman Helmet -    992 Gold
Light Kuyak    - 6.755 Gold
Mail Mittens    - 1.376 Gold
Mail Boots      -  2.998 Gold
Danish GS      - 15.922 Gold
-----------------------------------
Total Equip.      28.054 Gold

Thats a average ammount of gear, nothing fancy (except for the Danish Greatsword).
I realy am struggeling to save up any gold, overall tonight im down like 5G and at a certain point i was even down 10K  :shock:. So i had to do some siege to get me back up to 25K (and i realy dislike sieges lol)

The people that say: "Upkeep is perfect now" are players that are very wealthy and can affort to loose some (or atleast thats what i think) but for an average player like me its realy a pain in the ass.

A few days ago i was curious how a totally new player would manage, so i made an alt with a 1H and a shield with realy crappy gear and to my supprize i cant even earn any money for that one.

Maybe im just unlucky but it dont seem right to me.
The old upkeep was better imo.

My two cents.

You are right, im running with peasant gear and only my buckler and a langes messer and one of those two items break almost every round so its impossible i can make any profit.

Offline Miranda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:22 am »
+1
The upkeep is perfect for me.

But then again I wear anywhere from <1,000 gold worth of gear to <20,000 gold worth of gear.

While the upkeep itself may be flawed and limiting you in what you want to wear you don't need that much gear to be good, I've had alot of fun recently running around with hide boots red tunic and  a scythe and still killing very easily and easily being in the top of the scoreboard.

I agree that the armor isn't the most important thing in the game, it doesnt effect a players skill, but...
Why bother with all the armor skins if only a very select group can actually wear them and sustain a certain gold buffer. Heck, i even gave up on cav due to upkeep, so i respecced so i could wear some nice looking (but still average) gear and now i cant even do that lol.
Its not the end of the world, and i will still enjoy CRPG but... i must say it has taken some (not much, a thiny bit) joy away from the overall experience.

Before the patch, sure you saw a few tincans, but it wasnt like everyone was running around in them. So if it was balanced then, why increase the upkeep?

I guess i will be selling my 1x loomed German Poleaxe in the future due to this.

If it aint broken, then dont fix it.  :P

You are right, im running with peasant gear and only my buckler and a langes messer and one of those two items break almost every round so its impossible i can make any profit.

Lol, that alt that i spoke of has a Langes Messer aswell and that weapon totally bankrupt me aswell (on the alt).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:34:58 am by Miranda »

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Great President of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:52:06 am »
you don't need that much gear to be good

That's true; if you're going for a more speedy balanced or Agi-heavy build, in fact, the weight penalty from heavy armors is its own detriment and you wouldn't want to use them even if there were no upkeep.

Upkeep just means that some particular builds, the Str-heavy, high-IF, slow but able to take a lot of abuse type builds, are financially infeasible unless you have enough gold stored up that you can consistently lose it from repairs.

This is fairly silly given that powerful-but-slow heavily armored builds aren't inherently better than speedier, lighter builds.  Even a full set of plate armor provides much less protection than many people think, and being so slow makes you highly vulnerable to attacks by faster players - which will be nearly everyone. 

A smarter system would make it expensive to wear the 'best gear' for any type of build - e.g. equipment with a relatively high armor to weight ratio would be expensive to wear, not just those items with the highest armor period.  In other words, if you want to wear the very best armor there is below a weight of 15, that armor should be quite expensive to keep up - or you would have to opt for something that provided less protection.  But.. eh, that probably won't happen.  People are simple-minded and get all worked up if they have to hit someone too many times to kill them, even if that person is really slow.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:58:41 am »
^ Pretty much why would a ninja be able to play his prefered style but a plater couldnt?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:10:17 am »
Well, technically speaking the upkeep was broken, chadz added upkeep with intent to cut down on the plate population, and it worked for a few weeks, until everyone stockpiled hundreds of thousands of gold to millions of gold that could make them last in Plate for fucking forever.

So I guess chadz is actually trying to fix it by actually making Plate impossible to ALWAYS use and only being able to use it in short bursts as it was intended.

Also, there's a big difference between someone who wants to play Ninja and someone who wants to "crutch on his pl-" err I mean be a "plater".

Reason being that being a ninja doesn't make you take 30 hits and make everyone whiff on you as soon as you press W and run a in figure 8 motion.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:15:15 am »
Fuck off and get off your high horse Patricia, armor doesnt make you instantly invicible and those who use it dont always crutch on it.
I could say you're crutching on the fact that you use no armor to spin your longsword as it was nothing and outspam the living shit out of everyone without blocking since you hit too fast, but I dont.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:17:41 am »
Armor doesn't make you invincible but it makes you take more hits than necessary.

It's just so fun to get hit once and die but you have to hit everyone else 8 times because they're all crutching on their plate and immense infinite goldpit.

Also, spin my longsword? I'm not sure what you mean by that, if you mean the lolstabspin the fucking stab is worthless and I try my best to never use it.

Also, I haven't actually used this build in a long time and I can safely say that my blocking skills are several notches higher than some of the best players in here, besides I use a scythe right now and still kill people, if that's crutching I don't know what to tell you and your plate.

Offline Mithus

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:24:24 am »
instead of increase upkeep to 7.5%.... 50% more, they would increase weight penality.

This cost increase, just limit diversity for everyone..  less fun.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:25:36 am »
I am not using my plate cant afford, I do use a one handed sword and no shield, thats about as challenging as it gets.
And you seem to think that plate=auto crutch, thats bullshit, slows you do a lot, more challenge.

Offline Miranda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:06:40 am »
*Hypocrite mode on*

I just sold my Loomed wep. so gold isnt a issue anymore.
Upkeep is perfect now.  :wink: :lol:

*Hypocrite mode off*

Nah just kidding. I still feel foor the poor and new ones playing C-RPG.  :wink:

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:10:31 am »
I am not using my plate cant afford, I do use a one handed sword and no shield, thats about as challenging as it gets.
And you seem to think that plate=auto crutch, thats bullshit, slows you do a lot, more challenge.

It's not like anything is forcing you to use plate, everyone is playing with the same upkeep system as you do and not everyone is complaining so SURELY you must be the problem.

Unless you're using some Beta Upkeepsystemus™ that no one else is using yet that is discriminating only you.

Offline Gumdrawp

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: dolphin fan club
  • Game nicks: Gumdrawp_dfc
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:13:56 am »
I average a pretty decent multiplier and I wear extremely expensive armor almost all the time currently. I dont really lose all that much with the new patch. maybe 50-100k loss per generation which is offset by selling loom points every few gens to the people that wear light armor.

While i personally wish upkeep were less, if it was much lower i would be able to wear my current set (Lordly black armor, Lordly Plate mittens, Cased greaves, and a Litchina Helm + whatever polearm i want to use and a long spear if needed.) 100% of the time and not lose money at all. Which would cause kesh and the archers to whine even more about every patch.

While the current XP and upkeep systems arent quite as noob friendly i think the upkeep system does its job of minimizing inflation pretty nicely. After the deflation that strategus is bound to cause i think that prices will become a lot more stable for heirlooms which is probably better in the long run for noobs.

TL:DR; upkeep is probably fine so long as the total amount of gold in circulation isn't decreasing, if it kept on inflating like I assume it was it would be even harder for noobs to catch up in the future than it is now.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:23:18 am by Gumdrawp »