Author Topic: So someone learn me something about the EU  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Armois

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Armois hates you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Armois
  • IRC nick: LLJK_Armois
So someone learn me something about the EU
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »
+2
I've been playing on NA servers with my boys down in LLJK for a few months now and I keep seeing threads on issues that never seem to pop up when you are a newblette such as myself.  It seems to me that Euros have to play differently or some such.

A few things I've been wondering that I'd love to have clarified:

1.  Is the Bec as big a 'thing' on Euro servers as it in in NA?  Becs are extremely common where I've been.  Polearms and 2h dominate NA- mostly poles these days.

2.  Why is the EU community so in love with the recent archery hellnerf?  I want my arrow speed back, shits slow, yo.

3.  Why do I see so much raeg against NA in various Strat-oriented threads?  We just wanna chill out with a bowl, a beer, and some mountain blade.

I'm sure other Murican types have their own questions for EU.  So tell me EU folks- what makes your crpg different from ours?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:34:17 pm by Kalam »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: So someone learn me something about the EU
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »
Appart from different server locations, nothing? NA drama seems a little ridiculous, but EU has had, it's fair share as well. I don't think I've seen any hate towards NA from Strat, there wasn't much contact between NA and EU appart from some defence treaties that never ammounted to anything, unless you count LLJK getting owned then taking over all the empty IRC villages after their Pub thing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Revelation

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
We have the bloody french.
Anyway I play on EU and NA servers so whatever, bec de corbin does seem more frequent there...

Now that I think about it, naked grinders are more frequent too.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »

1.  Is the Bec as big a 'thing' on Euro servers as it in in NA?  Becs are extremely common where I've been.  Polearms and 2h dominate NA- mostly poles these days.

EU used balanced builds and favors AGIL, where NA has evolved to STR bulds thus it is hard to stay out of reach of that Bec.

2.  Why is the EU community so in love with the recent archery hellnerf?  I want my arrow speed back, shits slow, yo.
They can't dodge for shit or have shit awareness (maybe because they max at 120 players instead of our 80? More to watch?). I score higher with archery using 184 ping then on my own turf with 50-90 ping more ofte then not and my highest archery scores were on EU.

3.  Why do I see so much raeg against NA in various Strat-oriented threads?  We just wanna chill out with a bowl, a beer, and some mountain blade.
NA has a bloodfeud right now, like the now-passed Merc VS Admin nonsense a bit ago but dialed up a bit further.
NA also has a lot of americans which is an aggressive loudspoken passionate culture.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:06:59 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:16:19 pm »

I don't mind NA as long as they stay the hell away from me. I'm not interested in defending my holdings at 4 AM or having to worry about playing on a ping 200 server if I want to attack somebody. Quite simply I don't think EU and NA belong on the same map.
Don't.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »
I'm not interested in defending my holdings at 4 AM .....

You could also use that to your advantage and attack US when it is 4am our time.  that blade cuts both ways
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:22 pm »
True enough, but I don't want either side of it. I know crap like that is integral to some games, but I believe Strategus should be more civilized. The two-continent solution sounds fine to me, but for now we're still on the same map, so we desperately need a day/night cycle defined by defenders, like server choice, to keep battle times in line.

Discussing that stuff in greater depth is for other threads, though; we're getting a little bit sidetracked here. :)
Don't.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »
+2
EU used balanced builds and favors AGIL, where NA has evolved to STR bulds thus it is hard to stay out of reach of that Bec.
They can't dodge for shit or have shit awareness (maybe because they max at 120 players instead of our 80? More to watch?). I score higher with archery using 184 ping then on my own turf with 50-90 ping more ofte then not and my highest archery scores were on EU.
NA has a bloodfeud right now, like the now-passed Merc VS Admin nonsense a bit ago but dialed up a bit further.
NA also has a lot of americans which is an aggressive loudspoken passionate culture.

rofl a NA player talking about EU builds... the majority of EU builds are balanced 18/18, 21/18, 24/15.

about...

they can't dodge for shit

is false. try to shoot down some pure 2h/polearm without backup shield like shogunate, ninja, risen, grey, str, drz. go in the EU_shogunate or EU_searaiders server to face some skilled people and please don't judge euro gamers from the cannon fodder on EU_1 or the various sieges.

we can translate this to: NA player trolling attitude about racism, politics, skill, etc. is unmatched.

ok. now the serious thing.

why you don't see admins on euro servers often? for a simple reason. trolls, glitchers, ,tkers, griefers are very few. the very rare passed ban polls are enough to deal with lamers and such.

the very first strat battle i did was in september 2010. i got banned by ecko in the first 5 minutes of battle for a TK after a lag spike.

after that, i rarely gone play on NA servers. but in the few matches i did on NA, i always found an admin on. common thing there, if an admin trolls you and you troll him back, you get kicked.

another difference. in EU servers, people mostly play and the only chat spam you see is on sieges about "LADDER!! lots at Backdoor!! GATEHOUSE!!". on NA, you can barely see the battle by the tremendous chat troll spam about einstein, the WWII, obama, the muslims, how weaboos should gtfo, and so on.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »
+1
I don't mind NA as long as they stay the hell away from me. I'm not interested in defending my holdings at 4 AM or having to worry about playing on a ping 200 server if I want to attack somebody. Quite simply I don't think EU and NA belong on the same map.

i really lost hope about a separated EU/NA strat system... still in the same map as before  :(

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:05:55 pm »
rofl a NA player talking about EU builds... the majority of EU builds are balanced 18/18, 21/18, 24/15.

about...
Thank you for proving my point.
Anything that has a deviation of only + or - 3 is still "balanced" as having 15 AGIL instead of 18 is not really tipping the scale that much all things considered.
EU has even a clan dedicated to AGIL (Ninjas) where as NA that is unheard of. Even the guys on irc seem to think that EU has a lot more AGIL builds then the NA players have with the common 27/12 build. The devs/admins said that EU has a lot more AGIL then NA as that is why the Bec is not a massive problem on EU... so... your opinion is outnumbered.... (interesting discussion last night or the night before that me and Tydeus were having with a few offical cRPG guys about the bec disparity).

is false. try to shoot down some pure 2h/polearm without backup shield like shogunate, ninja, risen, grey, str, drz. go in the EU_shogunate or EU_searaiders server to face some skilled people and please don't judge euro gamers from the cannon fodder on EU_1 or the various sieges.
Fine, let me rephrase: Your average players can't dodge as well compared to our average players. I can't count the number of times that I have shot a "cannon fodder" archer and not seen him even bother to side step and just sit there for my next shot on EU. Yes I know you have a lot of top-notch players, but as EU has 4 times the player base, you have 4 times the casual "cannon fodder" troops. And dare I say your "cannon fodder" servers like EU_1 are far far larger then the "skilled" Shogunate or searaiders server when it comes to the amount of people on.

I have faced your skilled players on EU and they are extremely deadly and I would expect no less, but I will be damned if you can offer a satisfactory explenation why the NA cannon fodder servers give me less scores then the 3-4 times higher ping EU cannon fodder servers and expect me to not notice that.

we can translate this to: NA player trolling attitude about racism, politics, skill, etc. is unmatched.
Pretty much replace "NA Player" with "insert random country anywhere on the world" and yup you are pretty much right. Welcome to the internet.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:09:05 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »
Thank you for proving my point.
Anything that has a deviation of only + or - 3 is still "balanced" as having 15 AGIL instead of 18 is not really tipping the scale that much all things considered.
EU has even a clan dedicated to AGIL (Ninjas) where as NA that is unheard of. Even the guys on irc seem to think that EU has a lot more AGIL builds then the NA players have with the common 27/12 build. The devs/admins said that EU has a lot more AGIL then NA as that is why the Bec is not a massive problem on EU... so... your opinion is outnumbered.... (interesting discussion last night or the night before that me and Tydeus were having with a few offical cRPG guys about the bec disparity).
Fine, let me rephrase: Your average players can't dodge as well compared to our average players. I can't count the number of times that I have shot a "cannon fodder" archer and not seen him even bother to side step and just sit there for my next shot on EU. Yes I know you have a lot of top-notch players, but as EU has 4 times the player base, you have 4 times the casual "cannon fodder" troops. And dare I say your "cannon fodder" servers like EU_1 are far far larger then the "skilled" Shogunate or searaiders server when it comes to the amount of people on.

I have faced your skilled players on EU and they are extremely deadly and I would expect no less, but I will be damned if you can offer a satisfactory explenation why the NA cannon fodder servers give me less scores then the 3-4 times higher ping EU cannon fodder servers and expect me to not notice that.
Pretty much replace "NA Player" with "insert random country anywhere on the world" and yup you are pretty much right. Welcome to the internet.

well the ninja example is right. but they are 5-8 active players in a 300+ playerbase. my latest 2h builds gone from 21/21, 24/18 and 27/15.

here feint spam is not that common anymore. the top-tier 2h polearm will use some feints but most of the time hold&release attacks, bladecopters, double overheads.

besides the fact that smart players abandoned agi builds because agi don't give swing speed anymore and wpf cost is too high to make sense over WM5. only reason people keep going 15 or 18 agi is for athletics.

you simply do more kills in eu because we're not used to ranged spam and lots of 2h polearms will not carry a backup shield.

no need to insert a random country... on EU servers you don't see those talkshows about chocolate chip cookies etc. in NA servers you do. this is a fact. not an opinion.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »
+2
NA players are just generally more skilled than EU and we are jelly.

Also the "problem" with NA is that all at least in theory everyone speaks and understands the same language while it is more limited on EU servers with English not being the native language of the most. This limits the ability and possible reception of trolling decently, although I think the same potential is there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:51:59 pm by Paul »

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »
We mad, we jelly!
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »
no need to insert a random country... on EU servers you don't see those talkshows about chocolate chip cookies etc. in NA servers you do. this is a fact. not an opinion.

Well it's kinda boring and true. EU there's no talk at all. Except a couple of trolls and me spamming chat which gets a couple of moralists and mega nerds mad because it covers their precious screen with white text. NA got alot of talk i agree. But does it hurt? No there's a feature called mute. People just think about the principle that he/she is talking so much and should be quiet and just play the game. But use the mute button and boom. Whaddya know? Problem solved.

Also on a side note NA guys are more charismatic than EU. True story.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:02 pm »
EU are jelly.

Also the "problem" with NA is that all at least in theory everyone speaks and understands the same language while it is more limited on EU servers with English not being the native language of the most. This limits the ability and possible reception of trolling decently, although I think the same potential is there.

So true. So much truth. :lol:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:39:51 am by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;