Author Topic: Horse bamp damages the horse.  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Horse bamp damages the horse.
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:55:44 pm »
Here is something i recently noticed when riding upon my newly nurfed horse with my nurfed lance.
Anyone with decent armor can survive a huge amount of horse bamps.
This seems silly to me, a horse is a riders weapon, if he rides you down with it, it should sting, and not only peasants.

However, i can see, that a horse that kills heavily armored people in 3-4 bamps would be overpowered.
I did a quick search and nothing turned up, so my idea is: Buff Horse bamping alot, the damage should be dependant on the horses speed and its charge level. Therefore, a full speed courser might do a similar amount of damage to one of the chainmail horses.
HOWEVER, for each bump that the horse performs, it is damaged. This damage is dependant on the speed of the horse and its armor (and maybe the armor of the target?). A lightly armored horse such as the courser going at high speed will take alot of damage from bamping. The heavy horses however will do decent damage (due to slow speed yet high charge) and take a lot less damage (on account of all that shit they wear).
This would mean that bamping an enemy did significant damage, yet horsemen (especially the light, fast ones that are hard to dodge) would be less eager to bamp their enemies, as it would take a serious chunk of health from their horses.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults?

Edit:
I do own a charger, but i never use it (has anyone ever seen me on it?) I usually use a courser.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:59:35 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Skurcey

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: =BoB=
  • Game nicks: BoB_Skurcey
  • IRC nick: Skurcey
Re: Horse bamp damages the horse.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
that could be fun, also, maybe it would be good to reduce cav upkeep cost, but buffing pikes damage on a horse charging frontaly
=BoB= Only the petals of fire will give me peace ***
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »
that could be fun, also, maybe it would be good to reduce cav upkeep cost, but buffing pikes damage on a horse charging frontaly
horse upkeep may be high, but please leave that out of this discussion
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:09:35 pm »
 quote from a long gone similar topic: "Maybe use your weapon, instead of just holding it and saying that it must hurt the horse."

Bad idea, horses die fast enough already, 1h cav will just suicide their horses after a while, which they already do by getting in close range of 2h lolsword and polearm helicopters.
This will only encourage more ninja'ing and HA'ing since cavalry is banned from melee this way.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:12:40 pm »
quote from a long gone similar topic: "Maybe use your weapon, instead of just holding it and saying that it must hurt the horse."

Bad idea, horses die fast enough already, 1h cav will just suicide their horses after a while, which they already do by getting in close range of 2h lolsword and polearm helicopters.
This will only encourage more ninja'ing and HA'ing since cavalry is banned from melee this way.

this is a good point, i try to think of it like ammo though, an archer runs out of arrows eventually, but a horseman can use his horse to bamp all round. So if he had to be more careful with when he bamps?

I guess it would be cool if horses had a charge button, where they do x4 charge damage but also take damage from it :)

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22:10 pm »
this is a good point, i try to think of it like ammo though, an archer runs out of arrows eventually, but a horseman can use his horse to bamp all round. So if he had to be more careful with when he bamps?

I guess it would be cool if horses had a charge button, where they do x4 charge damage but also take damage from it :)

Indeed, but you need to see it from the right perspective: archers can still pick up arrows, and arrows are ALOT cheaper. Cavalry can still capture a new horse, but that's compared to picking up ammo, quite rare. Additional, horses also are very expensive.

Horseman already need to be very careful: if they go and bump into a group, he can get stuck, if he bumps into a polearm/2h user he or his horse ahs a high chance of getting killed, since 2h pikes have nothing to fear of lancers anymore, with the angle nerf.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:19 pm »
Indeed, but you need to see it from the right perspective: archers can still pick up arrows, and arrows are ALOT cheaper. Cavalry can still capture a new horse, but that's compared to picking up ammo, quite rare. Additional, horses also are very expensive.

Horseman already need to be very careful: if they go and bump into a group, he can get stuck, if he bumps into a polearm/2h user he or his horse ahs a high chance of getting killed, since 2h pikes have nothing to fear of lancers anymore, with the angle nerf.

you do make some persuasive points, perhaps the ammo idea i had was poorly thought out.
I do agree that 2h should not be superior to cav, but when you say 2h pikes, you mean the really long swords?

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:27:38 pm »
you do make some persuasive points, perhaps the ammo idea i had was poorly thought out.
I do agree that 2h should not be superior to cav, but when you say 2h pikes, you mean the really long swords?

It's always been since the coockies and tears/German and Danish lolsword were IG, cavalry couldn't charge at them, sicne their fully extended sword hitted the horse head before the lancers fyully extended lancs hits them. AND since you can hit both horse and rider at the same time, 2h can kill both with a lolstab. The only was was the circle around it, and use the full reach of the lance to hit the lolstabber without him being able to hit you first. Now this option is disabled they plainly outrange cavalry, just like pikes do...

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:32:13 pm »
It's always been since the coockies and tears/German and Danish lolsword were IG, cavalry couldn't charge at them, sicne their fully extended sword hitted the horse head before the lancers fyully extended lancs hits them. AND since you can hit both horse and rider at the same time, 2h can kill both with a lolstab. The only was was the circle around it, and use the full reach of the lance to hit the lolstabber without him being able to hit you first. Now this option is disabled they plainly outrange cavalry, just like pikes do...

ah ok, i get what you mean now. I know the feeling and its very frustrating having to go back to mostly only killing unaware infantry as its alot less fun. Even on an open plain now 2h is  superior to lancers in a 1v1. But i doubt the dev team will remove the 40degree thing so i have gone back to mostly killing unaware infantry. I tried using the great lance once, but since i am shogunate i am not allowed to use shields on horseback, and even if i could, great lance is 2 slots, which seems silly for a lance you cant even block with and you can't sheathe.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »
I'm shogunate aswell  :D

next gen I'm going same build as now, only I'll trade the usless points in shield and some in IF to riding and get a lance. katana/yari samurai horsemen ftw

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »
No, you should not EZ mode with the horse itself, bump is FINE now. There are too many fail cavs out there, and a bigger bump should make more harm than any help..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:10:25 pm by Momo »
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:12:43 pm »
No, you should not EZ mode with the horse itself, bump is FINE now. There are too many fail cavs out there, and a bigger bump should make more harm than any help..

i dont quite see how its "EZ" mode, doing it alot would just result in your horse being dead without getting hit by an enemy weapon

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:15 pm »
I'd love to see the hated towards a friendly plated charger on spawn.  :mrgreen:
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »
i dont quite see how its "EZ" mode, doing it alot would just result in your horse being dead without getting hit by an enemy weapon

Most of the failcavs are never caring about teambump, so there would be like 1000 whine topics about MY HORSE DIED AND NOBODY DID HIT IT.

Edit: As I reread the thing, it's not a bad idea at all!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:46:12 pm by Momo »
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 03:45:00 pm »
and also (forgive me) the "realism" part of it isn't right. A horse has survived several 1000's of years of evolution, with reason. 
If horses would get hurt when charging enemies, they would have been long extinct.