Author Topic: New upkeep system intended that way?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
New upkeep system intended that way?
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
So this is normal with the new upkeep system that you lose money with gears of 10000$ if you are at x1 all the time?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1370
  • Infamy: 522
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: New upkeep system intended that way?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:56:19 am »
Yeah right  :rolleyes:

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:18 am »
Im serious i got clothing armor a shield with difficulty 2 and a sword that cost 500gp to repair.

When that sword break say good bye all the profit you made.
If im constantly thrown in the loosing team because alot of the time clan are stacked and they are winning. If i go over 10000$ of gears like around 13000$ im losing money like crazy.
And this is btw on siege servers, i dont know if its different on battle servers.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53:07 pm »
What the hell, you can't lose money like crazy with freakin 13k total gear. You just can't.

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:33:38 pm »
no they re is something wrong, i never loose any $ with upkeep...

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »
+2

+/- upkeep inflation. Yeah, it keeps some people in line, but people who have been playing a long time are unphased. New players will have a hard time getting anything at this rate. I thought the whole point of upkeep was to be friendly to new players due to the vets not being able to run around in their plate and expensive gear 24/7. It never changed. All the old players have a nice chunk of gold and it never once stopped them from using the gear they loved from back in the day, and it makes it easier for them to slaughter new people in garbage gear because they can barely pay for what they struggled for. Upkeep is not going to make people use their stuff more or less. Why not just get rid of it? It was a nice concept at the start, but all I see is new players having to peasant for weeks to get enough gold to get anything decent, then by the time they get it they can barely maintain it due to upkeep, especially now. I personally am not affected by upkeep, but it is really ruining the fun for newer players trying to get into the game and it is ruining the fun and challenge for vets due to not having much of a challenge fighting people with low grade gear. Most people see good gear as a crutch but for most it is the way they use it. You can run around in plate and the most expensive things all day, but it is not going to change the fact that someone with enough skill in lighter armour will still tear through your metal walls and crush you.

Just my 2 cents.

I found this post from Poophammer in another thread.

This guy is alright, I couldnt have said it better.

Upkeep was implemented and was a good try. But the only thing that changed it was New- and Medium- Players are getting punished. Hardcore Players arnt effected by the upkeep.
If you raise the upkeep (like last patch from 5%-7%) some Hardcore Players lose some money, but New- and Medium Players cant achieve their gear anymore. Like the guy who started the thread and many others who are running around in peasant gear and getting slaughtered by the hardcore one.
Bugatti Veyron vs. Smart.

Look at the guys running around in plate, most of them are the old players with hundred thousands of gold.
The Problem is not that they are running around in plate and using the gear what they want - the problem is the other players cant use their gear what they want because of the upkeep. That means that players who are that damn good, cant be stopped because they have uber gear and other cant ur theirs.

I think upkeep should be removed completely out of the game. That would make it be fair for everone and everybody could use the gear what they want.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:58:13 pm by IceManX »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »
The only way I have made money since the patch is if I wear under 15K gear (make like 1000 every 5 hours of playing), which means light armor, and a sword (can't even us bow at same time) or naked with a longbow, arrows and fighting axe.  Otherwise I consistently lost or broke even every days ince the patch.  I did finally just go naked with a 0 slot hammer on siege for a few hours and made 10K.  If this keeps up thats just going to be the normal pattern of things - go on siege with peasant gear and grind for gold half the time to be able to afford wearing my normal 22K gear.  Seems like both the break percentage is higher than before as I get all my things broken in a round more often and the upkeep costs have gone up.  Maybe they should recheck their code.

Income is a flat rate, while upkeep is a percentage so changing the numbers by 5% (supposedly) can decrease people's net income by 50% or more or even turn it negative very easily.  The numbers should be checked for 20K worth of gear, because that much gear should consistently make money (thats low-end mid-tier armor and medium expense weapon) 
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Barbas

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Great President of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »
Poopie said it well.  And.. it really doesn't even take very long for a person to get to where upkeep is irrelevant.  Retire once, sell your heirloom point for 400-450k.  A +1 item isn't going to make that much of a difference anyway.  Then you have a fairly massive offset against repair costs, and can wear quite expensive gear if you plan to repeat the process each retirement. 

A quick fix, I guess, could be eliminating repair costs for 1st gen character below level 30.

That would lessen the most painful effects of the repair system.

But it's still fundamentally broken.  Among many, many other problems, it doesn't take into account the fact that many of the 'best builds' don't involve heavy armor at all, not because of the cost but because of the speed and wpf penalty.  So the intent to cut down on the number of people wearing their best gear in order to make it easier for newer players only impacts a particular type of build to begin with.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »
Im serious i got clothing armor a shield with difficulty 2 and a sword that cost 500gp to repair.

When that sword break say good bye all the profit you made.
If im constantly thrown in the loosing team because alot of the time clan are stacked and they are winning. If i go over 10000$ of gears like around 13000$ im losing money like crazy.
And this is btw on siege servers, i dont know if its different on battle servers.

If I had to guess you probably use around 30k - 40k  worth of gear Vieux, which is kinda silly if you are going to be using a huscarl shield you dont need that much armor.  If you are having money problems use less expensive weapons or better yet, scavenge from the battle field.

You also dont win very often, which doesnt help your case.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:37:16 pm by Digglez »

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
Not including arrows and low wpf weapons, you should theoretically be able to sustain 46000 gold worth of equipment and break even. This is assuming a 50% win rate and an average multiplier of 1.9375.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
Thats strange, I've got 28k gear and gain money no matter what.

Offline mulas

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59:47 pm »
New upkeep is broken, almost everytime I lost a round, repair for my highland claymore is 899, not to mention armor, so a minimum of 1k+ when I lose. So I stopped playing.

Offline Dasty

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among the Shadows
  • Game nicks: Dasty, Dasty_ATS
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »
No idea what you guys are talking about. I play with 50k worth of gear and have made close to 60k since the patch.

Dont use weps that cost alot and your fine. Mine only repairs for like 380 gold. MW Longspear

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
+1
Well shit, someone people enjoy using more expensive gear, why wouldnt they be able to do so?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Hydris

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »
I think it is just giving some characters really bad luck. My archer alt was getting owned by repairs I had about 30% repair rate on normal gear and 50% on arrows but my 2 hander is doing just fine only seeing something need repairs every couple rounds. Got so bad on my archer I stopped bringing a sword and only wield 1 stack of arrows even then i was repairing random swords i would pick up far more often than i would like. Sucks when you are losing a lot then get hammered by a 1300 repair bill for a sword you don't even own. I need to remember to ditch my scavenged swords when the round is lost. I was only in leather gear with a Horn bow and two stacks of tatar arrows i think they are called now and seemed to still lose money not much but I think I lost 6k in the rounds i played before switching guys.