Author Topic: Limit 2 hand swing speed  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
Re: Limit 2 hand swing speed
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:01 am »
There's also the issue of shield use not being represented properly. A swing from a long lever like any 2hand weapon could be shield smashed by a competent user, to force the 2hand fighter to turn his hips back into the swing a bit and be exposed for a quick stab or swing to one side.

And on the 2h swing arc issue, these weapons are, again, long levers. Think about a halberd. If the halberdier is inside the range of a 1hand-and-shielder's weapon, then any block or parry will land much closer to the pivot point on the haft, the users hands. That means the swing arc would get stopped much earlier, which for the 2h wielder is the most exposed time. That's when their hips are turned the most to create the power for their strike.

I don't know if any of the above is necessarily implementable in the game, but it is what happens irl.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:25:14 am by Rextard »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:52 am »
If someone could gather all the "2h weapon speed" topics and sticky them that would be nice. Infact, make a sticky for each type and sticky it. This is starting to get annoying.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:33 am »
If you do not understand the game mechanics
Start with rock, paper, scissors
and if you still don't understand it
quit playing because you are whining.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:03 am »
If you do not understand the game mechanics
Start with rock, paper, scissors
and if you still don't understand it
quit playing because you are whining.

:lol:
Love the last part.

C-RPG and Warband aren't true rock-paper-scissors games though. An archer can take out everyone still. A cavalry player can take out everyone. An infantry can take out everyone. Its just slightly more difficult in some situations to do so. Starcraft 2 on the other hand is setup in such a way. This is also why I didn't buy SC2 after the beta.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »
I dont see the problem, 2H cant outspam ppl that have a bit of agi and a decent speed weapon. I used a balanced katana with 21 agi and 159 wpf and I couldnt outspam a shield user. Outspamming as in, attacking so fast that he cant counterattack me even after a block. If you get spammed its due to your own fault. 2H dont have a speed advantage, only the katana does and it has shit range, but is stylish as hell. No 2h has the advantage on reach damage and speed over other weapons.
I've done it.  Manual blocking is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  Shield users are at a disadvantage.
Most people dont think it is, otherwise I wouldnt get as much kills while im only mediocre at manual blocking.

Offline cutsomecheesewithmybow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Hangover everyday.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dew
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
No 2h has the advantage on reach damage and speed over other weapons.
Wrong.

Sarranid Cavalry Sword   5308   weight 1.35
requirement 8
spd rtng 95
weapon length 105
swing damage 33, cut
thrust damage 19 pierce

Longsword   5123   weight 1.8
requirement 9
spd rtng 98
weapon length 106
swing damage 36, cut
thrust damage 25 pierce
Secondary Mode

Longsword is cheaper, heavier (better for chambering), longer, swifter and does more dmg. Better in every aspect.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:53:49 pm by cutsomecheesewithmybow »

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »
Wrong.

Sarranid Cavalry Sword   5308   weight 1.35
requirement 8
spd rtng 95
weapon length 105
swing damage 33, cut
thrust damage 19 pierce

Longsword   5123   weight 1.8
requirement 9
spd rtng 98
weapon length 106
swing damage 36, cut
thrust damage 25 pierce
Secondary Mode

Seriously, use your brain and tell me why you think that the Longsword swings faster than the 1h sword.
That 1h sword is length 105 being swung in one hand weight 1.35
That 2h sword is length 106 being swung in two hands weight 1.8
lol ?

Gaaahhh that Rextard guy rage quit from the duel server because he doesn't understand how to block feints and then he posted on this, thats awesome, I hope shielders don't read this and give up hope because it's not as hard as every one is making it out to be.
Anyways, learn to play some more, I did fine with my shielder when I was a shielder if anything it was easier because I was crap at manual blocking.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:36 pm »

Seriously, use your brain and tell me why you think that the Longsword swings faster than the 1h sword.
That 1h sword is length 105 being swung in one hand weight 1.35
That 2h sword is length 106 being swung in two hands weight 1.8
lol ?

Gaaahhh that Rextard guy rage quit from the duel server because he doesn't understand how to block feints and then he posted on this, thats awesome, I hope shielders don't read this and give up hope because it's not as hard as every one is making it out to be.
Anyways, learn to play some more, I did fine with my shielder when I was a shielder if anything it was easier because I was crap at manual blocking.

I ask you a question, why shielder can't block with shield using one hand, and attacking in the same time using his weapon ?
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:21 pm »
I ask you a question, why shielder can't block with shield using one hand, and attacking in the same time using his weapon ?

Because game mechanics are silly :(

I'm just tired of people complaining that One hand + Shield is the IMPOSSIBLE CLASS TO PLAY OMGZZZ
I started as a One hand + Shield because I figured since I sucked at manual blocking this would be the best way to go and I did great, I eventually got bored of it and decided that my blocking skills needed to be tested and chose the realm of 2h, good shielders will always pwn me because my katana won't break there shields and I will only be able to hit them when they let me, by lowering their shield to attack after I feint.

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »

Why does the guy continue to fight after being hit to the bare head?
Why can't I break your bone through your shield while using a big badass axe/mace? (try this, it hurts!)
Why can't I hit the shielder by striking above/below his shield?

It's called game mechanics.

I'm rolling a shielder at the moment. I doublt I would play using this character after leveling, since 1h+shield playstyle does not provide any significant challenges to me. So, it's no fun for me to play it. And if you are getting outspammed by any type of weapons, that's because of your ping/your build/your personal skills, not because of the playstyle.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »
Why does the guy continue to fight after being hit to the bare head?
Why can't I break your bone through your shield while using a big badass axe/mace? (try this, it hurts!)
Why can't I hit the shielder by striking above/below his shield?

It's called game mechanics.

I'm rolling a shielder at the moment. I doublt I would play using this character after leveling, since 1h+shield playstyle does not provide any significant challenges to me. So, it's no fun for me to play it. And if you are getting outspammed by any type of weapons, that's because of your ping/your build/your personal skills, not because of the playstyle.

I don't get outspammed, just it's really hard to feint using 1h + shield due to its slow speed. This lead to 2h opponents who have to do only basic blocking as feints are risky. 2h however dont have such problem, they can feint freely at least once all the time if they don't screw footwork.

I roll hybrid 1h/polearm, so my character does not have most optimized build.

Shield is not very fun to use in combat, but i like it's look, so i play it. And it's not really great against 2h players either.

You can hurt through the shield using most 2h maces.

Also, i would like some more advanced damage system, not plain hp. System that include injuries etc.

I do just fine with my character.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »
There's a important lesson for hybrids to learn, ur versatility comes at a price if u split your wpf even with the softcap you'll never beat a purist melee especially one who forgoes skills like powerthrow or blockcrutches err I mean shields

Lobbying for ur thrustspam plus shield/onehander hybrid comes off as trolling to the nth degree

Reroll pure one hander and fight for as many hours as the posts u made then come tell us your findings
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »
There's a important lesson for hybrids to learn, ur versatility comes at a price if u split your wpf even with the softcap you'll never beat a purist melee especially one who forgoes skills like powerthrow or blockcrutches err I mean shields

Lobbying for ur thrustspam plus shield/onehander hybrid comes off as trolling to the nth degree

Reroll pure one hander and fight for as many hours as the posts u made then come tell us your findings

75 polearm skill.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 01:58:54 am »
All weapons are faster held with 2 hands than with 1 hand only.

Butterknife.
Switchblade.
Rapier.
Dagger.
Pistol.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:11 am »
Here's the solution:

Give 2handers a really big nerf - reduce speed and damage by a lot. This will solve several problems:

1) People who use 2handers but just spam and can't manual block will stop using them

2) People will stop whining about 2handers for a while

3) People who use 2handers because they enjoy it more than anything else will still use them, and probably still kill all the whiners because the whiners clearly don't know how to use a shield (press the right mouse button and it blocks).

4) This will lead to more fun for people who enjoy playing 2handers, and make the whiners feel like they've won, so next time a 2hand user kills them they can blame something else other than the 2hander weapon stats - maybe they were eating a biscuit and so had a hard time fighting.

Item balance team - go ahead and take 2-3 points of speed and 5-10 points of damage off all the 2handers. It won't make any difference.

I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.