Author Topic: Limit 2 hand swing speed  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Limit 2 hand swing speed
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2011, 10:56:09 am »
lol, Amusingly phrased, but completely wrong if you're referring to what is possible IRL with sword and board combat.

You still cant both have your shield raised effectively against arrows and hit someone left of center. It also depends upon the size of the shield. You simply cant move your arm through a solid object you are holding in front of yourself.  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2581
  • Infamy: 1544
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2011, 12:35:19 pm »
Hey whiny 1 hander! A 2h'er isn't out spamming your 1h weapon. Your weapon speed is 97 or 103 or whatever right? But what's that in your other hand? That shield you ask? What about it? Well ITS speed is 61! Guess what? It matters! What? Shield speed matters you say? Craziness! I can swing and block at the same time!

Actually it's 81 since most people use Huscarl. Steel shield users are very rare because of the upkeep :wink:

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:36 am »
You still cant both have your shield raised effectively against arrows and hit someone left of center. It also depends upon the size of the shield. You simply cant move your arm through a solid object you are holding in front of yourself.  :wink:

I don't know about you, but MY arms are attached at the sides of my body, not at its center. I can easily cover my body with a shield while still doing right to left and overhead slashes with a sword. Maybe it wouldn't work well with a Huscarl's shield, but most other shields are not wide enough to block your right arm.

Actually it's 81 since most people use Huscarl. Steel shield users are very rare because of the upkeep :wink:

Also, shield speed doesn't affect the lowering of the shield, only the raising.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:14:49 am by zagibu »
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »

This is very true, to do a left-to-right slash, you do have to either roll your shield above your swing zone, or lower it. Thrusting, overheads, and right-to-left slashes would still allow you to cover the shield hand side of your body. Your weapon hand side would still be pretty vulnerable either way.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2011, 01:27:41 am »
I do pretty well against two handers and polearms on my shielder. It can be annoying fighting high athletics people, as I'm a bit slow, but other than that it isn't a problem. I usually use the steel pick, the broad one handed axe, or the warhammer. The speed issue isn't usually what gets me killed. It is usually range, footwork, or just misjudging timing. The onehanders are pretty fast.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2011, 08:43:37 pm »
In summary :

Two handers don't need a swing speed decrease.

No, your limp wrist grip should never be faster than a full on two hand augmented swing, two handed weapons were not as heavy as you think.

Yes, you have a shield, so learn to block... oh wait, you don't need to, because all you do is right click and BAM HUSCARL SHIELD BLOCK ERRYTHING EHAUEHAUHEAUEH 

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »
With the new WSE I would agree for limiting 2H/polearms speed IF shield manual block is implemented. Otherwise it would be stupid and there will be no point to play 2H when you can have all the advatanges and more as 1H+Shield.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »
This is actually a pet peeve of mine.  With most 1h'd weapons it's actually detrimental to "facehug" as the weapon will glance much much more (especially thrusts and overheads).  You really have to use the "sweet spot" when using a 1her.  However on my 2her and my polearm character (and you can see other 2h/pole guys do this as well) it's actually better for me to facehug people as I hit them sooner in the animation and all I have to do is aim downwards a little bit towards the feet.  It's annoying that 2hers/pole guys are more effective facehuggers than those of us with 100 or less reach (fucking 64 reach on some weapons  :evil:)

That is so true, so many times when I was face hugging a 2-hander/polearmer he would 1 hit kill me with a bardiche by "limboing" me with the wooden part though the game would make it count as if the slashing part hit me. Also, my hits (mainly stabs and over heads) would bounce off so WTF? We're paying a lot for a range protection and our ability to block all front attacks, we shielders have huge weaknesses:
1) Shield slows our swing speed and running speed (this is alright)
2) Low range weapons (some are like 65!!!) (again this is ok, we can't have a 140 lenght weapon in a single hand)
3) Those low range weapons are BOUNCING OFF when face hugging!!! (on the other side, this really needs to be changed, how are we suppose to do anything if we can't even kill when we're doing what we are suppose to in a melee fight which is close up to the guy/face hug him???)

This third point is just retarded, that's one of the main issues as a one hander that needs to be fixed in order to help us make it up for the speed of 2-handers/polearms.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »
+1
That is so true, so many times when I was face hugging a 2-hander/polearmer he would 1 hit kill me with a bardiche by "limboing" me with the wooden part though the game would make it count as if the slashing part hit me. Also, my hits (mainly stabs and over heads) would bounce off so WTF? We're paying a lot for a range protection and our ability to block all front attacks, we shielders have huge weaknesses:
1) Shield slows our swing speed and running speed (this is alright)
2) Low range weapons (some are like 65!!!) (again this is ok, we can't have a 140 lenght weapon in a single hand)
3) Those low range weapons are BOUNCING OFF when face hugging!!! (on the other side, this really needs to be changed, how are we suppose to do anything if we can't even kill when we're doing what we are suppose to in a melee fight which is close up to the guy/face hug him???)

This third point is just retarded, that's one of the main issues as a one hander that needs to be fixed in order to help us make it up for the speed of 2-handers/polearms.

No.

1) You don't have enough Power Strike, or
2) You are incorrectly positioning yourself, or
3) The opposing 2h/polearmer is properly utilizing footwork.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2011, 11:07:07 pm »
No, 1h are far more prone to boucing - or need better positioning PS or heirlooming to overcome it - than 2h. Thrust is a very bad offender, on short range it bounces, stuns you and you are dead, so I only use it for surprise stabs on range, which is kind of tricky, too, when you are against a weapon that's a good deal longer than yours.
It's not a game balance issue, 1h+shield is very competitive, it's just something that makes no sense.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:25 pm »
No.

1) You don't have enough Power Strike, or
2) You are incorrectly positioning yourself, or
3) The opposing 2h/polearmer is properly utilizing footwork.

I had 6 PS when it happened and it was on mail! And don't tell me if I stab somebody in the belly while being at 1 foot from him it will bounce?!!!

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:59 am »
+1
No, 1h are far more prone to boucing - or need better positioning PS or heirlooming to overcome it - than 2h. Thrust is a very bad offender, on short range it bounces, stuns you and you are dead, so I only use it for surprise stabs on range, which is kind of tricky, too, when you are against a weapon that's a good deal longer than yours.
It's not a game balance issue, 1h+shield is very competitive, it's just something that makes no sense.

I did not say that 1 handers were not more prone to bouncing. They are, in fact, more prone to bouncing. To remedy this issue, you need sufficient power strike and sufficient skill to gauge what position you need to be in relative to your opponent and to gauge the distance your weapon needs to travel for it to not bounce off.

I had 6 PS when it happened and it was on mail! And don't tell me if I stab somebody in the belly while being at 1 foot from him it will bounce?!!!

Learn the intricacies of the 1 hand thrust animation. You can't stab someone with a 95+ length one-handed weapon from a foot away; that's a property of the animation. Instead, try twisting your body by turning right as you begin the thrust, and twisting violently to your left as you follow through the stab-portion of the animation. I've used a Long Espada Eslavona for the better part of 5 months; I have done this plenty of times. I have also bounced many, many times. You just need to learn how to most effectively use your weapon/

sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2011, 06:54:25 am »
I did not say that 1 handers were not more prone to bouncing. They are, in fact, more prone to bouncing. To remedy this issue, you need sufficient power strike and sufficient skill to gauge what position you need to be in relative to your opponent and to gauge the distance your weapon needs to travel for it to not bounce off.

The issue I was stating is why should one handers (on top of being slower) be more prone to be bouncing off? The polearms "sweet spot" is so large that you can "limbo" somebody and it will count as if you hit him with the tip of the weapon. With such small weapons for the one handers, it's ridiculous that we have a "sweet spot" too ... it should simply do it's job when you face hugging somebody, darn! We have the shortest weapons! 

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

High damage weapons help as wel. I recommend the military cleaver. Great weapon.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »
Even the flanged mace with length 70 sometimes bounces on cloth armor.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?