Author Topic: No action taken while jumping - possible?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
No action taken while jumping - possible?
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:05 am »
Just wondering if it would be possible to make it impossible to perform any action at all - like swinging or drawing bow string - while jumping. All these guys with pikes who stab and then jump back doing 720 turn in the air while stabbing again is getting a bit retarded.
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: No action taken while jumping - possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
I think they made it possible in Vikingr so.....

Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:47:42 am »
+8
It was done in Vikingr - and resulted in people camping any spot that you can only reach by jumping, since they could freely kill anyone else trying to get there. Do we really want this in cRPG?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »
Camping unreachable place is banable? People who does that would be quickly poll kicked/admin kicked and generally despised by players in general. Then again if we disable this then I will lose all my free kills when people jump into my lance :O
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »
Places you can reach by jumping is not the same as unreachable places and camping them is not bannable. And, people camp various places all the time, anything ever happens to them? No.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:31:34 pm »
+2
I don't understand why people want to lessen the depth of gameplay. It's like feinting, bumpslash etc... it wasn't intended at first but it make the game much more interesting.
Only bumplancing made me rage cuz faced against a skilled opponent i knew i was doomed, but with the 40° lancer rotation i guess it's not possible anymoar.

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »
I don't understand why people want to lessen the depth of gameplay. It's like feinting, bumpslash etc... it wasn't intended at first but it make the game much more interesting.
Only bumplancing made me rage cuz faced against a skilled opponent i knew i was doomed, but with the 40° lancer rotation i guess it's not possible anymoar.

You realize how idiotic this is when youre fighting a guy wearing heavy armor and all of sudden he does a SuperSonic jump in the air, swing his flamberge and bypass your block because he is above you, right?

Places you can reach by jumping is not the same as unreachable places and camping them is not bannable. And, people camp various places all the time, anything ever happens to them? No.

Lowering jump height sounds fine too. The point is that we pretty much all agree that removing random jumping and swinging monkeys from regular fights is needed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:17:50 pm by Ozwan »
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »
I say that all disagree.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »
I actually tried leaping and swinging a weapon irl and it's very difficult. My friends tried it too. It's like your arm freezes in midair and your lower body sorta spasms briefly. I think its because hip movement gives swings much of their power, and the lack of solid ground reduces the force of the swing. The jumping itself is disorienting and distracting too.

I agree that jumping and taking actions (such as swinging) should be significantly changed.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
+3
i support the no actions while in air movement

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »
+6
No offensive actions while jumping, only defensive like blocking would be best.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »
+2
What in the world is wrong with you people?  Take away a gameplay element because you're too unfit yourself in real life to perform the action 'jump' and one other thing at the same time?  Or do you find that jumping and turning while doing something is completely out of the question and beyond human possibility?  Because I hate S-key hero polearmers as much as the next guy but c'mon, it's a legitimate fighting style and if you can't maintain your range then maybe you just need to get better.

It isn't unfair, believe it or not while the guy is spinning in the air about to attack you he doesn't actually know where you are either.  If you don't take advantage of this, he will in a few more milliseconds.  This applies to both in-game and real life.  If you want to play Vikingr where everyone's got the physical limitations of my grandma then go ahead, but cRPG's combat is slow enough as it is, please stop dumbing it down further.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:48:10 pm by Kaelaen »
-idlewind

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:26 pm »
+1
It was done in Vikingr - and resulted in people camping any spot that you can only reach by jumping, since they could freely kill anyone else trying to get there. Do we really want this in cRPG?

This. Already we can place a shielder in a lot of maps right at an edge (or two) and watch people hit them and slide off and +1 Gravity while getting pincushioned with bolts and arrows. Do we really want this to be even easier?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:28 am »
+1
The point is that we pretty much all agree that removing random jumping and swinging monkeys from regular fights is needed.

a wise man once said:  good players adapt,  bad players lobby.

put differently:  fuck no.

Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:46:16 am »
+2
You realize how idiotic this is when youre fighting a guy wearing heavy armor and all of sudden he does a SuperSonic jump in the air, swing his flamberge and bypass your block because he is above you, right?

Lowering jump height sounds fine too. The point is that we pretty much all agree that removing random jumping and swinging monkeys from regular fights is needed.
Did you realize how idiotic it is to continue looking down while your opponent is in the air? I've yet to miss a block due to vertical location of my enemy. It's more so due to my inability to block in the right direction.

Also, I'm impressed how pretty much all of agree to that thing that most people I've seen don't agree to.

Though I would agree that it's physically difficult to do a horizontal swing with a heavy weapon while in the air. Generating the moment from a dead hault is going to require some spin your body won't be able to produce so easily midair. However, downward swings and thrusts are still quite simply done even in mid jump.