Author Topic: So, Arrows are actually paper airplanes now...  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: So, Arrows are actually paper airplanes now...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:27 am »
I'm kicking ass on my archer, maybe you should try aiming higher, you know like a real bow, it's not a 50 cal anymore, deal with it.

Out of Idle curiosity, name of archer character?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:30 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

nice video, now compare what an arrow from a good bow does to a naked/leather armored/13th century non "specially hardened and toughened armor" with what arrows do in cRPG. Even if someone survives a blow through their body, they won't be back in that battle doing a Boromir on their enemies like nothing happened.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:29 am »
"150 miles per hour"  :rolleyes:

Your video proves his point, that arrows are absurdly slow.

What the f...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPcyGjYZmc&feature=related

He clearly states(1:20) that the arrow starts at 52 m/s or 171 fps (117 mph) when using ungabunga units. In crpg the longbow starts (minimum PD) at 60 m/s or 200 fps(136 mph). The guy in the video is said to be an expert archer using a high end 150 pound longbow.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:15:56 am by Paul »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 09:16:07 am »
using ungabunga units

:lol:

btw, 52 (meters a second) = 116.320687 mph
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:56 am »
What the f...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPcyGjYZmc&feature=related

He clearly states(1:20) that the arrow starts at 52 m/s or 171 fps (117 mph) when using ungabunga units. In crpg the longbow starts (minimum PD) at 60 m/s or 200 fps(136 mph). The guy in the video is said to be an expert archer using a high end 150 pound longbow.
If you're going to keep using that documentary as a source for missile speed, you might also consider the part where he says Longbows could shoot "more than twice as far" as crossbows.

--> http://youtu.be/85CcSgnDgPo?t=1m23s <--

That implies crossbows had far lower missile speed than bows (at least in a universe where all arrows/bolts have the same flight physics).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:30:55 am by Elerion »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:36 am »
Ok, in the other video they say that they use 140 mph which is just above the 60 m/s we use(minimum PD, mundane longbow). Fine to me. And we don't set the starting velocities because of that video. We did some research about experiments being done and used historical sources. 60 m/s is a good value in my opinion when using battle arrows.

I also don't think the long bows can go much faster even with lighter(flight) arrows. It the nature of the bow being a one material bow with a limited "spring speed". I see the natural border at 70 or 80 m/s. It is a bit hard to explain but it doesn't behave like a ideal spring with F = m*a = D * s where the final speed after the acceleration can be increased endlessly with raising the spring constant or draw lengh(D, s) or lowering arrow mass(m). At some point the wood can't go faster and even a lighter arrow would have the same starting speed as a heavier one (and the bow thus loses efficiency). So the only thing a very high draw weight(>150 pond) longbow can do better than one of those in the "sweetspot" draw weight of 130-140 pound is accelerating heavier arrows (pretty important to penetrate armor) close to the bows max speed.

Composite or even steel bows(xbow) are different. Here the max spring speed seems to be alot higher allowing to achieve very high starting velocity(and thus high range) with special light flight arrows. So with special arrows those turkish composite bow can achieve 250fps++ easily. However with battle arrows that need some weight to be useful against armor they are back at equal ground with the longbow I think with the draw weight and thus human strength as a limiter.

At the moment we can't use different arrow types that have their own starting velocity/friction simulating heavy battle, lighter flight arrowsand  maybe with some kind of hybrids in between. Without WSE it's battle arrows for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:50:39 am by Paul »

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:36:06 am »
Aaawww, poor little archers things, my soul weeps for you and my heart is broken......
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:41:46 am »
It implies that arrows performed alot better aerodynamically. In the future with WSE I'd give bows a lower friction value than crossbows. I agree though that the 1 slot crossbows have a too high starting speed. The ones with the steel bow(2 slot) are fine in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:44:47 am by Paul »

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 09:48:27 am »
Fister_Sister
Fallen archers have my respect, shooting me off my horse is a death full of agony and honor.

I can't really tell if the archers are actually buffed or nerfed, since I don't notice taking great damage from cut bow users (Longbow/Xbow/Throw still hurts, a lot)

Offline Jayne_Cobbb

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
It is much harder.  Just hitting people with the slow speed is hard.  Also, the Heirlooms do not help any more (not really), so +3 bows are not really worth it.

The damage is not changed too much, but i have noticed that vs high armor I never get kills unless I head shot. 

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
It implies that arrows performed alot better aerodynamically. In the future with WSE I'd give bows a lower friction value than crossbows. I agree though that the 1 slot crossbows have a too high starting speed. The ones with the steel bow(2 slot) are fine in my opinion.
I don't disagree that aerodynamics could be a significant reason, but as mentioned, in the Warband universe all missiles have the same physics. The way the Warband engine handles this is by giving crossbows higher damage (representing a potentially higher muzzle speed and more devastating missile) and low missile speed (representing worse aerodynamics, causing them to drop faster). Bows on the other hand get reduced damage and a high missile speed, giving them a longer trajectory but causing less damage once they hit.

Now, for some reason, bows in cRPG have less damage and a shorter trajectory. It doesn't make sense from a game balance point of view, nor from a realism point of view (which I think we should just ignore, but still).

If you were worried about Strategus, I would have done this: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,10317.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:37:22 am by Elerion »

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:26 am »
on plain battle fields. i laugh at the arrows coming at me and dodge em. like at the end of this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFTw95pJp8

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 04:17:00 pm »
Why is there such a hard on for realism with archery in regards to velocity? Who gives a fuck? I feel pretty bad for archers, the arrows are so slow dodging arrow fire is a complete joke now. It was even easy before but now I barley have to zig zag at all.

Literally nothing else in the game is balanced around what is realistic, just basic reality, IE armor adds weight and increases protection.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »
Literally nothing else in the game is balanced around what is realistic, just basic reality, IE armor adds weight and increases protection.

And being unable to sheathe a pike in your ass magically.
Carrying a flamberge, katana, shield, great maul all at once.
etc

But yup, literally nothing else is balanced around what's realistic.....
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Mannhammer

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Only War is Eternal
    • View Profile
    • Forty Thousand Years In The Future
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »
+1
On the bright side. One bonus to the new arrow speed is that when I get shot at by another archer I can go outside have a smoke, come back in then dodge.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login