Author Topic: Heirlooms and a chance of permadeath.  (Read 480 times)

Offline Leshanae

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Leshanae
  • IRC nick: Leshanae
Heirlooms and a chance of permadeath.
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:42:29 am »
+1
A bit of melancholic thoughts about heirlooming changes in the last patches.
I don't really know why you kill the idea of heirlooming with this nerfs. Please tell if I did not get it right when you read this.

There are a lot of players who are fully equipped with loomed items, giving em a huge advantage on the battlefield. Since this is true, you try to make some balance between the pros of looming and cons of quantity of such players I guess.
So, in order to aviod overheirloomed players, you (a) decrease the advantage the looms can give, and (b) make a permadeath to old chars to lower their chance of getting too many loomed items and become a superman.
But as a result, heirloomed items have so small advantage that the heirlooming has no sence now (for a large amount of weapons and all horses), and many players can lose interest to the mod: no sence in playing to earn money and get brand new loomed weapons (I mean "better items"). Btw, some chars are really 1-year-old and.. this is a bit sad to lose them :D.

I want to say that loomnerfing and permadeath are definitely not the best ways to avoid fully heirloomed equip and making it all more balanced. After the last two-three patches I as a cav don't have any good item to heirloom (+3 horses are practically equal to default in the battle, lances get too small buff; the only worthy of heirlooming item kind left is leg armor), but 2h and xbowers do have a big choise in heirlooming both armor and weapons.

I find it more sensible to make a limit of heirloomed items that one char can have. That will allow players to keep their char without completely losing him, and keep the most favourite loomed items, or earn money to buy or heirloom new ones. The word "heirloomed" will not lose it's meaning to char's younger generations and will keep it's charm.
Besides that, forced retirement on 32nd or 33rd lvl or sth can be applied, that will help to avoid uberskilled players.

If all of said above equals shit, please say it directly  :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:37:57 am by Leshanae »
"No one ever wins. No one finally loses, except the dead. Under the sun they rot together with absolute biological equality" (c) Berzerker

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Insane heirlooming nerfs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:47 am »
(b) make a permadeath to old chars to lower their chance of getting too many items and become a superman.

fail

Offline Seabhac

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mt. Seabass
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Cimmeria
  • Game nicks: SHC_SEABHAC
Re: Heirlooms and a chance of permadeath.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:29 am »
Well I would guess it means post 31 characters to force retirement and loosen up the market price wise by having more people heirlooming on a regular basis.

Can't say for sure because no one has experienced it first hand and their note about it was just that, a note.

chadz and friends are probably having a good laugh at everyone today over that one sentence.
http://www.SnowhawkClan.org
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshanae

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Leshanae
  • IRC nick: Leshanae
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:17 am »
chadz and friends are probably having a good laugh at everyone today over that one sentence.
Not just that one btw ;)

This thread is not about "wtf is random deaths ai don wonna dai" or the permadeath feature (maybe it's a good thing, maybe a joke - we do not really know yet). It is about slowly wasting the idea of heirlooming. With this new permadeath feature, if applied incorrectly, it can lead to stupidly killing the interest for many players to play regularly or to play at all.
So I want to make a little suggestion on how to make this features more sencible and make it all work out.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:09:30 am by Leshanae »
"No one ever wins. No one finally loses, except the dead. Under the sun they rot together with absolute biological equality" (c) Berzerker

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:57:34 am »
For the love of god how are any of you taking that line seriously. Most blatant troll sentence ever. People who have been here for many months are actually concerned!
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.