Author Topic: Bow Changes Discussion (An archer saying Damage boost is too much)  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
You many know me, I'm an archer (I know, I know, I'm seeing a shrink about it).  As much as I would get frustrated shooting tin cans 10 times with my strong bow and arrows to kill a tin can, it took real skill to do so.  The decreased shoot speed of the bows allows for arrows to be more affected by the speed bonus' impact on damage based on the shoot speed even though the shoot speed is lower (talk to developers to figure out the exact mathematics, one of the reasons throwers did so much damage).  Testing out the current patch, I am doing far more damage and 1-2 shotting almost everyone, even tincan strength builds only 3-4 arrows to kill with my CUT damaeg bow.  I was shot by an archer I have been shot before using same CUT damage bow against my 56 body armor and it did 70% of my health instead of the usual 35%.  And if you think its some archer complaining about doing worse, it's not, one of my first maps I went 16-3, killing people like balbaroth, dextaa, and cyranule with arrows doing massive damage.

My own persepctive -- this is a step in the wrong direction, archers were well-balanced and there were still plenty of them around.  We don't need another bunch of 1-2 shotting throwers with slow shoot speeds.  Most of these kills felt kind of cheap as there was so little skill involved with high accuracy and incredibly deadly arrows.  Real skill usually means shooting the same guy more than a couple times and really differentiated archers, despite the developers' stating they did this to make it more skillful, instead the opposite is occcuring.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Visus_of_Chaos
Re: Bow Changes Discussion (An archer saying Damage boost is too much)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:23 am »
+2
I noticed the same thing. Getting two shotted several times by what looked like a Strong (Horn) bow. I don't any of them were MW either. Archers really pulled a surprising buff with this.
الايرلندي ليوبارد

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:53:33 am »
+2
getting 2shot in rus scale with 6 if

and with changes to upkeep i can't even wear that armor without going broke completely
FREE ALLERS

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:07 am »
+2
I'm getting 1 shotted =/ I would love to get 2 shotted.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:18 am »
I noticed the same thing. Getting two shotted several times by what looked like a Strong (Horn) bow. I don't any of them were MW either. Archers really pulled a surprising buff with this.

yeh, Paul the developer explained it once a couple months back.  The slower the projectile speed, the more of a boost to damage it can get from the speed bonus to damage that come from things like powerdraw or powerthrow increasing the speed.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:20 am »
+2
Well i can 2 shot pretty much anything on my Archer alt using a warbow + bodkins (Nothing loomed) so i don't even want to thing about those people out there that loomed their shit..

I'm scared to move around now even tho i am wearing 68 body armor most of the time... and don't start telling me i should bring a shield, i'm a pure 2hander which means i don't have any spare points to put in shield before lvl 34 lol

We will see what happens with that in the next few days, till then, i'll hang out in the duel server where skill is actually needed! :P
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:43 am »
While I agree that I dont like the change, I disagree in this context. Since we can no longer hit anything at range, plinking their health slowly away, we need to be able to actually do decent damage in the range that bows now possess.
If they take away the increased damage, then we need the range back. Shooting even horses at distance is primary a matter of picking a spot you hope someone will be in 3 seconds from now.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:04:02 am »
+1
tell me whats decent in 2 shotting med to heavy armor at medium range before they have time to even know where its coming from plz... Any decent archers just became OP with that HUGE damage buff
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:57 am »
+3
In a week I will be creating a poll with five options (Melee player hates/likes new archery, archer hates/likes new archery, don't care) just to see what people's opinions are.

As of now, this is a mess in my opinion. I have turned from a sniper, to a walking turret of death. Stay far away from me and you no longer fear me, but god help you if you wander anywhere near my MW Rus Bow now or I will blow your brains out. I can even reliably one shot coursers now, and pick apart all by myself Cataphracts. This is beyond idiotic. I also laugh at the black plate users that are going broke and are still being shot to hell.

FYI I am using standard arrows. If I were to switch to Bodkins I would lose some money, but I also notice (btw arrows break retardedly often) that I can one shot a disturbing amount of people in chain, and only my ex-warbow (now Rus bow) is MWed, not my bodkins...

TL:DR I can no longer snipe as anyone with half a brain can dodge, but come within 15 or 20 meters of me and you are a dead man walking.

EDIT: Did I mention that my build was 18/21, and now I am working for a 27/18 build at level 33? At 30 I will still be 24/18... Do you really want 8/9PD archers taking advantage of this new insta-death short range crap that we are pretending is archery?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:13:12 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:02 am »
+2
A damage boost to compensate for the smaller range is fine, but it was too much this time around. Even as a shielder, it's much more risky to go on the offensive. It still may be fine, so I think we should give this a little time so people can adjust to these new generation archers.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:32:05 am »
+1
BTW it's very good what "I can even reliably one shot coursers now".
Let cavalry afraid archers. In this case all is right.
But I totally agreed with all text above my post.

P.s. flying arrows models changed? Now i almost can't see an arrow on the fly. Only 10m from me and then can't see ...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:33:38 am by 3ABP »
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:35:23 am »
+1
Did some testing, seems like a 6 PD Longbow does about 40-50 damage on average to someone in 60+ total body armor.  Naked, it would do about 70-74 damage.    Ridiculous. 
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:36:38 am »
+1
[08:58] <@Espu> gravity bonus might kick in somehow
[08:58] <@Espu> adding extra damage
[08:58] <@Espu> dunno, have to bring it to fasaders attention

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:39:21 am »
just nerf the god throwing... thrower are the the NO1 gay class on my list...second is xbowman and then its HA.

This change to throwing just gonna make tons of ppl grabing 4 bags of throwing lances and start the spam.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:41:01 am »