Author Topic: Bow Changes Discussion (An archer saying Damage boost is too much)  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bow Changes Discussion (An archer saying Damage boost is too much)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:15 am »
Real skill usually means shooting the same guy more than a couple times and really differentiated archers, despite the developers' stating they did this to make it more skillful, instead the opposite is occcuring.
I think archers should be able to 1 or 2 shot only those who are wearing relatively light armor. Anything past chain mail in combination with a good amount of ironflesh SHOULD provide good protection against archers.

yeh, Paul the developer explained it once a couple months back.  The slower the projectile speed, the more of a boost to damage it can get from the speed bonus to damage that come from things like powerdraw or powerthrow increasing the speed.
They should reduce bow damage across the board then since I don't think armor was correspondingly buffed to compensate.

EDIT: Did I mention that my build was 18/21, and now I am working for a 27/18 build at level 33? At 30 I will still be 24/18... Do you really want 8/9PD archers taking advantage of this new insta-death short range crap that we are pretending is archery?
I have a 12pd archer right now. Tried it on seige and was pretty devastating even with the penalty.

I DO like the new arrow speeds and flight arch. It looks and feels much more realistic now. You can even see the arrow as it leaves the bow which I never really could before. I like those 2 things.

My ideas: make all bows cut damage. Make all arrows cut damage. Possibly keep bodkins as pierce and maybe increase their pierce damage as well. But make them even more expensive than they are now. Adjust damage amounts of all bows and arrows until a good balance is arrived at. Revert accuracies of bows (or maybe even a bit LESS accurate than they were before the patch).

The goal would be for archers to be good against soft targets but very ineffective against armored foes.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:05 am »
+1
A humble pincushion's thoughts;

All projectiles are powerful and terrifying now.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:16 am »
Thank god im in my new appartment with crappy mobile broadband internet while waiting for the real internet to get set up i couldnt / cant play anyways.. hope this fail patch gets sorted out once my internet is up n running  :mrgreen:

Cant even select my chars on the loadout screen
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:11:31 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:10:31 am »
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,10067.0.html

I LOL at you, Keshian.
Not necessarily disagreeing, but don't you think you've done enough whining for this patch already?

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:13 am »
I personally like the new upkeep values. I'm still earning stupid money, but this may have soemthing to do with me avoiding wearing even medium armor.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:29 am »
+1
I personally like the new upkeep values. I'm still earning stupid money, but this may have soemthing to do with me avoiding wearing even medium armor.

You don't say.

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:54:17 am »
+1
Totally in argeement with kesh. Lordly haubergeon, hourglass gauntlets, 4if, 21 str and I get 2 shot by a horn bow and pd 6. I do like the new animation and arc as previously mentioned. I didnt get a chance to  use it myself as I have no archer char but I picked up and xbow and tried it with that. Its definitely different, in a good way.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »
Not archer this gen so haven't tested, but it concerns me that people are saying they can't track their shots (xbowmen, archers).  Hopefully that gets chalked up to learning curve of new archery..

Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
+1
Not archer this gen so haven't tested, but it concerns me that people are saying they can't track their shots (xbowmen, archers).  Hopefully that gets chalked up to learning curve of new archery..

Its not, the new animation makes the arrows/bolts incredibly tiny like bullets on your screen.  have no idea where you actually hit to actually reorient your next shot.  More of a feeling of a crapshoot with a huge damage bonus at the end, but this seems like something that should be easily fixable, if not by chadz and team, then by someone willing to put ttogether a really simple mod.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »
+1
Since cavalry get 1 shot by archers now... What counters archers!? Group archers will still have a field day with shielders...

E: Archers can't even counter eachother due to the range decrease... got to be closer....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:49:58 pm by PieParadox »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »
+1
Since cavalry get 1 shot by archers now... What counters archers!? Group archers will still have a field day with shielders...

It sounds like the bow damage boost was unexpected and they are fixing it in the hotfix.  Would like them to increase the shoot speed back up a bit, would fix a lot of the problem and also not make archery into a whole new class of throwers.  Bows actually should shoot farther than a  thrower, though interesting to see that throwing lances now have 149 accuracy (best bow has 101), because of course throwing a 6 foot lance is a lot easier to aim than a bow.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »
Incredible. The fucking dev's are not qualified to balance anything beyond a playground seesaw. How do you fuck shit up like archer damage is increased 5x? Do you just say 'we are going to make some huge changes to both archery and armor'. Hmm should we test that? 'naw fuck it'.

Testing this shit would take literally minutes. Or in the case of the heavy lance -> great lance, literally 1 second to realize it is messed up.

I can't wait till they 'fix' archery again, everyone bails out to throwing and we end up with 80% throwers like we did 4 months ago. Of course then they will go and nerf throwing back into oblivion. Everyone will complain and the dev's will just think everyone is a bunch of cry babies instead of realizing how heavy handedly they constantly act.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:56:50 pm by Beans »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »
Totally in argeement with kesh. Lordly haubergeon, hourglass gauntlets, 4if, 21 str and I get 2 shot by a horn bow and pd 6. I do like the new animation and arc as previously mentioned. I didnt get a chance to  use it myself as I have no archer char but I picked up and xbow and tried it with that. Its definitely different, in a good way.

I don't think they changed crossbow arcs at all, only made a bit less accurate.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »
I can't wait till they 'fix' archery again, everyone bails out to throwing and we end up with 80% throwers like we did 4 months ago. Of course then they will go and nerf throwing back into oblivion. Everyone will complain and the dev's will just think everyone is a bunch of cry babies instead of realizing how heavy handedly they constantly act.

I will never stop using the bow no matter how UP or OP it is, as my main.

However, Archery Class is dead with the new speeds (wish they were a little faster), now this is an Artillery Class. Short range shooting is where it is at, or indirect trolling.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »
Incredible. The fucking dev's are not qualified to balance anything beyond a playground seesaw. How do you fuck shit up like archer damage is increased 5x? Do you just say 'we are going to make some huge changes to both archery and armor'. Hmm should we test that? 'naw fuck it'.

Testing this shit would take literally minutes. Or in the case of the heavy lance -> great lance, literally 1 second to realize it is messed up.

Beans - check cRPG current version number. What does it tell you?
Now shut up and be happy that this is an open BETA.