Poll

Do you want to see realistic version of cRPG?

Yes, and I will play it.
6 (18.2%)
Yes, and I will participate in making it's concept.
4 (12.1%)
I don't care.
10 (30.3%)
I am against that, will stay my arguemnts why.
13 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Realistic version of balance  (Read 3393 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Realistic version of balance
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
+3
I honestly suggest waiting for another game (possibly the dev's next project) then modding that. Of course, aspects that support both realism and balance are best, but there are many parts of the Warband engine that are counterintuitive to it, especially since it was designed as a single player experience at first.

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 05:53:49 pm »
looking at it as another game.

cav - damage upon dehorsing dependent on speed of horse with possible death,  possibility to outright kill someone by ridding them down just right, horses only rear by weapon if they move on lower speeds(otherwise massive damage), horses will hardly ever stop by bumping into ppl, dead horses do damage, headshots on unprotected horses kill them...

inf- crouching!, realistic shield forcefield, plate/partial plate negates most arrows exept bodkins at short ranges, swing damage does very little damage, if at all against full plate(most helmets count as plate) realistic weight of armor, shields are considerable more durable, easy to use(speed) and block everything within its forcefield polearms cannot be sheathed, crushthrough formula for all weapons (PS vs weapon weights)...

ranged- realistic weight, realistic hard limit on accuracy & damage for every bow(less for xbows than bows), most armor does not lower accuracy, drawing speed dependent only on powerdraw(bows & xbows), throwing is devastating against non plate, very limited throwing projectiles & throwing doesn't require much wpf overall, walking sideways while trowing kills accuracy...

battlemap- flag system introduced for tactical movement/ commanders will have small flags above their banners, a flag for each class commander, command is decided either by devs < ammount of successfully commanded battles < voting, to ensure that a capable commander is always present & anyone gets a shot at it if voted on, most maps openfield, in fact battlemap shouldn't be like siege in any way, CLASS BALANCE!

Perhaps a new AI training camp would be necessary to explain each class & weapon's purpose, and teach the battlefield basics so ppl are prepared, and know what's expected.

Actually, as said already, list of changes is for later discussion, and some of things you suggest are not realistic at all, some would obviously be too hard to implement.

Ahahah

- Twohanded sword should be stronger!
- No way, shielders are best!
- Fight me IRL!

If either 2h or shielders were stronger, these classes would not exist in the same time. They have different pros and contras, and I can cover it in an article if this comment gets at least 15 likes. :D

"Fight me IRL" is not an argument, because everyone has different skill. BTW, if anyone wants to have a swordsfight in Moscow, I would like to agree.

If by 'balanced' you mean they removed or nerfed everything that annoyed 2handers from native.

I prefer the things the mod has added like nudge, rather than the various reductions and removals from native which was a very satisfying game. After all, mods should add things, not just remove content or dumb down the combat, this is one of the only reasons i'm adamantly against the 'remove rain' threads, it's a random element that influences the gameplay, and yet another thing people want to remove for max easy mode and unvaried gameplay.

Hmm, what was completely removed?

Yes, lots of nerfs made this game look very strange.

Rain is also a very strange thing, so is fog. You know, in Total War it is made much better. If you know that it's raining, you can retreat and fight another day, or charge your enemy with your cav if he has a lot of archers. In M&B you just charge and can have rain/fog started with no signs that it is going to rain.

Actually, this idea is a good idea but it is bound to fail for cRPG. Because of one reason: The community.

cRPG has evolved a lot. Those who didn't like the changes stopped playing it and only the ones that liked the gameplay did stay. Others probably played other mods or games. That being said, the cRPG community won't welcome such a radical change while the ones playing other games will probably welcome it with open arms. There are always a few exceptions of course. Some examples are the ones agreeing with the suggestion here including me.

So I'd rather encourage everyone agreeing to the suggestion here to continue the realism pursuit in another mod. There are two mods that will suit it more than a realistic gameplay that I know of and both were suffering from low number of players.

-Battle for Europe (at least it is trying to evolve into being a realistic mod and it features a class/level system similar to crpg)
-Vikingr (it's nordic themed native with the most realism I've ever seen)

So my suggestion is. Gather up, stop playing cRPG and stop changing it to a game where the majority of it's community won't like it and start playing those mods.

I don't speak about changing cRPG. I speak about making a fork, that will have same updates for gameplay features but use different balance.

It is hard to believe that these mods will really grow to something big - just because Warband itself is dying, and it is hard to create a new community in it.  This is another reason to base on cRPG.

You're not taking the all thing together into consideration, stop looking at CRPG as a model.

Cav wouldn't be garbage, as it would be able to kill people by ridding over them, this would be an asset in mass charges. The point behind these changes would be to use them in large groups rather than individual fights, yet one could still dodge horses in 1 vs 1 scenarios. 2h wouldn't be insanely good, because swing damage would be realistically inefficient against armor, and they'd still get killed by arbalests, and any of the many kinds of armor damaging weapons that are barely used in crgg because their realistic purpose is overshadowed by the fantasy greatswords here. Shielders without forcefield would only be shot in the feet if someone in the front lines forgot to crouch to cover their all bodies, hence the mechanic, or they could just wear plate boots in a partial plate set. Crushthrough in every weapon would have to be applied realistically, which is why I mentioned a crushthrough formula, since people still blocked in real life. Things like daggers would be able to block now, but they'd still be worthless against two handed weapons. I should have been specific about ranged, their accuracy would remain unaffected by most armor, except the best, and they'd not destroy everything without plate, anyone not wearing plate would be carrying a shield, unless they were ranged themselves or horses. someone without any kind of decent protection wouldn't last long in the battlefield, as it should be, though shield formations would still make any ranged attacks useless, and any peasant hiding behind would be safe.

There would be no randomers in a game that demands teamplay for victory(not for long), and I mentioned a training camp to explain the basics to everyone.

What Im proposing is a next gen in the franchise, what CRPG could have been if it wasn't balanced wrong from the beggining.

You have to keep an open mind to these things.

Everything very good except crushthrough - in real life even if you crush through a block with a weapon, you will lose too big amount of momentum on that, so you will not penetrate even leather armour.

The main dev's are working on a different project.  They do not have time to make a slightly different version of this mod.  And like others said, it would split the player base, and lastly, it's not even possible to make a "realistic" medieval fighting game with the M&B Warband engine.

Did you read the topic?

I honestly suggest waiting for another game (possibly the dev's next project) then modding that. Of course, aspects that support both realism and balance are best, but there are many parts of the Warband engine that are counterintuitive to it, especially since it was designed as a single player experience at first.

Probably, waiting for Bannerlord, but it is very long. Though, I think, people who play Warband will only play some mods that will not be moved to Bannerlord, as it's engine seems to be designed as much better both for modding.

For now, I participate in making a realistic combat system of a mod based on PW.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 06:00:17 pm »
So many walls of text.... I can't tell if you think that there is something legitimately wrong with the game or if you hate how people use different combat styles...

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline spiritus

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Spiritus_de_Deceptio ---- Beeep
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:16 pm »
crpg is a arcade game if u want to make it realistic u will ruin the game that is known..... maybe for a separate game but you could never do this to crpg it would completely destroy the game we love. Not saying it is a bad idea its just that crpg is fun because it isnt realistic balance makes this game unrealistic yes but realism brings many problems my friend i like your idea tho it will never happen period to this mod also as if crpg engine could even handle huge changes.

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 02:18:57 am »
crpg is a arcade game if u want to make it realistic u will ruin the game that is known..... maybe for a separate game but you could never do this to crpg it would completely destroy the game we love. Not saying it is a bad idea its just that crpg is fun because it isnt realistic balance makes this game unrealistic yes but realism brings many problems my friend i like your idea tho it will never happen period to this mod also as if crpg engine could even handle huge changes.

Sorry, but did you at least read the first post?

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »

Didn't see your post for some reason... So, I see your point. Warband with WSE(2) is really not the best way to make a realistic game, but:

1) It's main competitors are Bannerlord and Chivalry. The first will be released like in a year, or probably later, and it's still a pig in a poke - we don't know anything about how will it really look in terms of gameplay. The second has too bad glitches in the engine that allow completely unrealistic things, and is not worth moding unless admins fix them (game is still actively supported).
2) Lots of people actually want to see a realistic medieval warfare game to play - lots of people joined Warband for it's realism.
3) Because most of things are already done by the dev team, I will just need to change some animations, rebalance item stats completely (I have an almost ready table for them) and, probably, add/remove some models.

That all makes cRPG the best template for a realistic medieval game. We will just need a balance based on realistic combat, changed slightly in a purpose of balance, mainly by changing some aspects that are not really represented IRL: upkeep prices, exact damage, HP and armour values...

The only problem is, even if we are ready to do this all, we will most likely not even be given a deny, but just ignored by dev team and have to mod Warband from scratch, probably using WSE.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:49 pm »
Unless you're cmp with direct access to WSE, it will be quite difficult to shape the gameplay how you want. I was just trying to say that it would be easier with future games that are better designed around modularity instead of relying on workarounds/unchangeable annoyances with the Warband engine.

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
Unless you're cmp with direct access to WSE, it will be quite difficult to shape the gameplay how you want. I was just trying to say that it would be easier with future games that are better designed around modularity instead of relying on workarounds/unchangeable annoyances with the Warband engine.

I doubt that it is so hard to change items, add animations etc, if I am given access to the database.

Again - the problem is, for NOW, for that moment of May 2014, cRPG is probably the best thing to start with to make a realistic gameplay. It would be the best, if I was given access. The only unrealistic thing not connected with animations and item stats and really annoying is that you can swing very long weapons (e.g. Poleaxe) at very close range, move your long weapon through your opponnt etc. But I don't know any game where it is fixed.

Probably, if you persuade main developers to give me right to do that, it would help. But I am pretty sure, you also have a lot things to do except helping some random guy with his mod.