Author Topic: How do I block?!?  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: How do I block?!?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 06:51:23 pm »
Not to mention that they are also both really overrated players and duelists, anyways.

Neither really plays siege, so I don't have much first hand knowledge of either's abilities, so I just kind of randomly picked two of the top-ranked duelists. A lot of the top 25 NA duelists aren't necessarily amazing blockers, they just duel in loomed plate and kick a lot. GiggleKnight and Saul are the best blockers I've personally dueled; no amount of feints/holds/etc. can fool them.

There are a lot of players now that would suffer more if you took away their kick key bind than if you took away their right mouse button.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »
+4
There are a lot of players exploitative scumbags now that would suffer more if you took away their kick key bind than if you took away their right mouse button.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »
It would be a god-awful duel only because cyranule relies on hilt slashing which requires footwork (need to be up close and in a BJ-giving position) and miley is an S key hero with either a long 2h or pole. If they didn't move it would be as lame as any other slightly-competent blocker not moving. Or miley would just pick a flammy and sit right outside cyranule's lolstabbing range.  :lol:

(click to show/hide)

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
I've been playing for a while, but I still just can't manage to be decent at blocking. I suck. I'm lucky to block 1-2 hits from anyone, and when people start feinting and spazzing out like they're having a seizure, well... I'm lucky to get any at all!

Are there any useful tips or tricks to get used to it besides 'just practice', because i've tried that a lot on duel before and well.... If anything I feel worse  :oops:

I'm not even effective with a shield. I just get kicked or nudged or swung on before i can block again after i swing...
i know that feeling. if you really cant do it and you feel that you wont be able to learn it anytime soon, just grab a shield. situation with 1h got quite a lot better.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:26 pm »
+1
i know that feeling. if you really cant do it and you feel that you wont be able to learn it anytime soon, just grab a shield. situation with 1h got quite a lot better.

Shields do have less lateral coverage in melee than weapon blocks, and they are noticeably slower (even the 100+ speed shields). They also seem more prone to block stun and crushthrough than weapon blocks, despite the higher weight of shields (I suspect that shields are treated at half their listed weight for these calculations). Not to mention that shields really slow down your movement speed, so it's harder to get in position to attack. Shields are great when fighting multiple people or approaching ranged enemies, but in any 1v1 situation, they are a serious liability.

In my personal experience, just using a long weapon and backpedaling/kicking a lot to avoid blocking is much easier to master than overcoming all of the shield shortcomings above.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:24:20 pm by Phew »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 10:14:55 pm »
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Please, feel free to enlighten me, all-knowing one.

Shields do have less lateral coverage in melee than weapon blocks, and they are noticeably slower (even the 100+ speed shields). They also seem more prone to block stun and crushthrough than weapon blocks, despite the higher weight of shields (I suspect that shields are treated at half their listed weight for these calculations). Not to mention that shields really slow down your movement speed, so it's harder to get in position to attack. Shields are great when fighting multiple people or approaching ranged enemies, but in any 1v1 situation, they are a serious liability.

In my personal experience, just using a long weapon and backpedaling/kicking a lot to avoid blocking is much easier to master than overcoming all of the shield shortcoming above.

Only time I had ever suffered from block stun with a shield was when a great maul DIDN'T crushthrough... in my experience shields almost never get block stunned. Could be because my shielder has always had mroe str than my non shielder. However, I will agree with you 100% that crushthrough affects shielders more often than someone with a weapon of decent weight (I feel like a whimpy 1hander won't be any better than a shield). It could also just be because you move slower with a shield, if you are backpedaling they get less of a negative speed bonus, and therefore they will crushthrough more often than when against someone unhindered by a shield.

Also, I highly recommend not going shielder if you are not too good at blocking as of now. While a shielder you will never learn to block properly, and when facing anyone with a bonus against shields weapon, you won't be able to block after just a few hits since your shield will be gone. If you want to go shielder, at least practice blocking extensively (at least to become moderately proficient at it) beforehand. That way you can still fight after the shield breaks. There is nothing an opponent hates more than someone who becomes more deadly without their shield weighing them down.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:56 pm »
Only time I had ever suffered from block stun with a shield was when a great maul DIDN'T crushthrough... in my experience shields almost never get block stunned. Could be because my shielder has always had mroe str than my non shielder.

With my puny 18 strength and 5.5 - 6 kg shields, I've been block stunned by weapons as light as 3 kg (claymore, SoW, etc).  I think when they doubled the weight of shields, they failed to double the effective weight used in the block stun/crushthrough calculations.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »
I would get block stunned relatively often of great swords or heavier weapons with 18 strength and a knightly heater shield.  At 21 strength it seems to happen very infrequently against great swords, but heavier weapons still do stun me pretty often with my shield.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
Please, feel free to enlighten me, all-knowing one.

Well simply put, what you said was just plain wrong. If you really don't know why you are wrong then you should probably spend a few hours dueling Cy or Miley if you can get em into duel server.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:17 pm »
+1
Also this thread went on 4 pages too long..."How do I block?"  - Right click by default.

+1 post and lock prz  :shock:
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 11:12:51 pm »
Well simply put, what you said was just plain wrong. If you really don't know why you are wrong then you should probably spend a few hours dueling Cy or Miley if you can get em into duel server.

Shouldn't go insulting others when your only argument is "you are wrong. just trust me man, idk why, but you most definitely are."

And I somewhat recently dueled cyranule... all I had was a +0 war spear on my hoplite... since I could outrange him and keep him away from hiltslashing, I won. Simple as that.

I would get block stunned relatively often of great swords or heavier weapons with 18 strength and a knightly heater shield.  At 21 strength it seems to happen very infrequently against great swords, but heavier weapons still do stun me pretty often with my shield.

I kinda forget what my 18-18 shield build was like, but at 21-15 it is definitely a very rare occurrence to be stunned by any type of sword i.e. its never happened as far as i recall.

Also this thread went on 4 pages too long..."How do I block?"  - Right click by default.

+1 post and lock prz  :shock:

Yeah, to be honest I thought this was a troll thread by reading the title at first.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »
Shouldn't go insulting others when your only argument is "you are wrong. just trust me man, idk why, but you most definitely are."

I didn't insult you though... You have however insulted other people without any explanation. Anyways, I don't really want to turn a beginner help thread into a NA drama thread, hence why I have made very basic replies. Lets just leave it with: I strongly disagree with your statement.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:57 am »
+1
I didn't insult you though... You have however insulted other people without any explanation. Anyways, I don't really want to turn a beginner help thread into a NA drama thread, hence why I have made very basic replies. Lets just leave it with: I strongly disagree with your statement.

Saying someone is dead wrong is as much of an insult, if not more so, as someone saying others aren't all they are cracked up to be. You directly insulted my knowledge, while I just said that other's didn't live up to their name, which is no fault of the individual players, but more so of the community. You, sir, attacked me while all I said was that your pal ain't such a super star. Never said he sucked or anything...

The end.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 11:07:45 am »

In my personal experience, just using a long weapon and backpedaling/kicking a lot to avoid blocking is much easier to master than overcoming all of the shield shortcomings above.

well, it takes time to get used to it, but if you wont let yourself be outflanked, and if you feint like crazy, you should be able to do just fine. ofc, i play mostly siege, so the effects in battle mode may vary. he said he has problems with blocking, and blocking manually is not something everyone can invest time into. [especially not when everyone is running around with uber-fast triple loomed shit. AND DONT YOU DARE TO SAY THAT LOOMING HAS NO REAL EFFECT WHATSOEVER, BECAUSE THATS COMPLETE BULLSHIT].

also, lets not forget the good coverage against ranged, which is always uselful.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.