Author Topic: Amount of hoplites...  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Amount of hoplites...
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
I have some problems with the instastab since you have to chamber earlier than their animation starts sometimes in comparison to sideswings/overheads, but all this is more of a balance to put them in line with the others rather than buffing them to OP levels. For people saying block down, it's a matter of offense, not defense. I used to risk chambers a lot more, but with the awkward timing I just try to shoo them away now.
this. i used to love chambering pikes and hoplites, now the animations is too fucked up and it's more of a guessing game than a skill.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 04:48:05 am »
+1
this. i used to love chambering pikes and hoplites, now the animations is too fucked up and it's more of a guessing game than a skill.
This guessing is a part of a skill itself. You have to know when you can try chambering and when you should not but all in all I agree that this stab detection sucks  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:41 am »
the only reason for the sudden spike in hoplites is the shear amount of range and cav that control the servers, this is a class that can counter both classes, i dont see Hoplites complaining about the OP lolstab that is longer and does more damage than a spear, plus its not hard to fight a hoplite in 1v1, downblock and hold your attacks and they will get frustrated.

Learn to adapt when fighting different classes, i definitely do. Different classes demand different play styles.

Deal with it.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 06:05:53 am »
+5
in crowd fights simple down block dosent work

To be fair, in crowd fights no block works. If I'm fighting with a teammate I swing the exact opposite direction he does, and it works 95% of the time.

We have a buttload of hoppies due to
  • You need a shield to survive the lolspam of crossbows and archers, both surging due to Cav
  • You need a spear to help keep your team from being ROFLstomped from aforementioned cav.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »
+3
Finally there is a sufficent  amount of hoplites woth comparison to history

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
+1
To be fair, in crowd fights no block works. If I'm fighting with a teammate I swing the exact opposite direction he does, and it works 95% of the time.

footwork in crowdfights can easily prevent getting hit by this.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »
+1
True, however this requires an amount of ath or horrible opponents.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:23 pm »

and footwork while blocking down cant prevent from getting hit by multiple hoplites?

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 01:05:32 am »
Hmm I think I need to post my strategy when dealing with hoplites + infantry.

Do not forget that hoplites have only one attack direction and it is a very long yet slow one. The other infantry will have 3-4 attack directions, and it is probably the opposite of hoplite. Fast, but less reach.

-Always try to stay near the hoplite, possibly very near that his spear won't be useful much. During this time, focus on the other infantries attacks.
-There will be times where you will have to be in the perfect range of the hoplite. So unless they attack at the same time; simply block the infantry attack then use a downblock if you think you'll get attacked by the hoplite. It works if they don't attack at the same time. If they attack at the same time, well it was 1v2 already and they did a good teamjob.
-Anticipating the movements of the hoplite is easy to predict. He/she will be most likely to stay in ideal distance. So it might be easier to leave him/her out of his reach. You said you have 8 athletics, well that is also nearly the maximum for the hoplite too (lvl 30+ most likely). You should be able to leave it out.

Following these guidelines, enemy hoplites are not much of a problem for me in melee fighting. They can be shut down pretty easily, if you have few cards in your hand.

-All in all, awlpikes might not be the best weapon to deal with hoplites. The weapon itself is designed to do big damage to enemy infantry and cavalry, I think. Against a hoplite, I'd reccommend using overhead maybe. I'm not an awlpiker. From what I see in siege server, you can quickly grasp the techniques of dealing with them, no rules.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:08:57 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 01:46:00 am »
Hmm I think I need to post my strategy when dealing with hoplites + infantry.

Do not forget that hoplites have only one attack direction and it is a very long yet slow one.

Stopped reading.

It connects instantly if the hoplite wants to.

Not that I have any problem with hoplites (few of that kind on EU_2), but saying hoplites are slow is a straight lie. Also, shieldless short 2D polearms do this much better than hoplite weapons.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:52 am »
+2
So, I heard from a few questionable sources that most of melee combat throughout history favored the use of some form of spear. Early forms of it may have even used shields together. Questionable source of course.

Why would such a combination even work? I mean, you stop arrows AND can hit your enemy from a greater distance than they can hit you? You can also use formations to better support your allies at almost no expense to your own safety? Such insanity would never work in any given situation of melee combat!

Sarcasm off.

Google phalanx.

Shield to stop arrows and multiple enemies, potential for one of the longest reaching attacks in the game. The more hoplites, the stronger the team.

Oh, and coming from a hoplite, our greatest weakness is a combination of smart spam with downblocking.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »
Stopped reading.
Stopped reading.

Since you are naked, of course it will hit you instantly. Wear higher than 15-20 armor value and you'll see the difference those quick hits will glance you. Or use your nakedness and outrun them.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:06 pm »
Stopped reading.

Since you are naked, of course it will hit you instantly. Wear higher than 15-20 armor value and you'll see the difference those quick hits will glance you.
That is simply not true. They will instastab you even with armor. The problem now is that I'm always constantly trying to chamber block those thrusts. It's just automation in my head. Something is changed because it won't work anymore and the stab connects almost instantly.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:04 pm »
Hmm... ok then. I might be wrong. I'll try if this holds true or not, this night. Maybe it's simply my lack of observation... Readied the STF. Will write a reply by the midnight.