Author Topic: Need some math. Mathematical idea for balancing weapons.  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: Need some math. Mathematical idea for balancing weapons.
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 12:20:00 am »
Kajia, you have a similar feeling to how I see it, although I think I have a more moderate point of view. Depends how much of a "Vision" on how battles should be you put into it.

On one hand, it is a great fantasy to imagine battles where everyone has a specific role, and everyone needs to depend on teamwork to be successful. On the other hand, cRPG is mostly a game with randomers, and the great risk would be that such a system would NOT turn into organized battles, but rather lots of single players cursing their disadvantages, reducing their joy of playing the game. Forcing "realism" down their throats could reduce the playerbase to rubble.

I still think though, after all, that the situation we are in, where any weapon can win against any weapon, is a result of balancing mostly in duel situations. (IDK but it seems to me that weapon balance has a large duel-bias. Resulting in somewhat unequal battle effectiveness, again reducing the amount of weapon-types and builds we see on the battlefield.)

Nonetheless, I would like to see changes to that philosophy. (Although very successful)
I would like to see more specialized and "extreme" weapons. More dependent on teamwork than what we have. Even going as far as pushing the "non spammable rule", as in, no weapon can be spammed without a chance to strike back. As in great fucking axe meets nimble bastard sword. The great fucking axe can stun the bastard users, or even have a chance of making him drop the sword or crushing through, but if the bastard user come close he should be able to outspam the axe user so he cannot get a strike back in.

and I wrote too much again..

TLTR:
I want more specialized weapons, no swiss army knives, duel based balance is fail, battle based balance is better, make more difficult choices in cRPG, both on the battlefield and weapon choice. Decide how battles should look like, then start balancing.

Anyway.. A years work of balancing cRPG to near perfection would be more or less wiped out with such crazy ideas. On the other hand, rebalancing everything would lead to lots of activity on the forums! :-)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:48 am »
There is no such thing as writing too much, in comparision to my stuff at least :D

Well, you're right about the 'randomers'. I agree in all points.

I had the idea of a spinoff like modification of cRPG, a mod of the mod, that could serve as a alternative-balance-test, and when it's successful ...
I don't know. I don't like rivalry with this, but always these field tests, when a new change was in and all the complaining ... this would hurt, so maybe this way is more effective in trying.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:38:59 am by Kajia »

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 02:28:29 am »
You guys need to make your own engine ow.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31:42 pm »
I'd rather play a harder more realistic game that forces teamwork than the same re-hashed bs that is plaguing popular game design. Not that I believe the m&b engine is geared towards anything that advanced, but it should be looked forward to rather than belittled, imo.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2451
  • Infamy: 2166
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »
You guys need to make your own engine ow.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 357
  • Infamy: 1414
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
I'd rather play a harder more realistic game that forces teamwork.

Teamwork is for the weak.

He didn't need teamwork, did he?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

But he was twohander and it's known that twohanders are the most epic beings in the whole universe. Especially swordsmen.

As Phyrex would say: polearms are for peasants, swords are for heroes :)

We should embrace our individuality and leave teamwork to ants and similar incects. Also teamwork = communism :wink:

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »
Leshma, Sauron was also a wizard, so he doesn't fall into any crpg class. He is more akin to Paul, who is a wizard, unfortanately this is not a class. 

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »
Also teamwork = communism :wink:
8-)

In a more realistic medieval fighting game there would be twohanders as a kind of lonely guys bashing many, but get clusterfucked all the time, and outspammed, too. Something like lone heroes.

Aaaand fail!
Sauron actually used his mace with one hand! ;)

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2495
  • Infamy: 2511
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »
Leshma, Sauron was also a wizard, so he doesn't fall into any crpg class. He is more akin to Paul, who is a wizard, unfortanately this is not a class.

I knew that Paul is evil...

In a more realistic medieval fighting game there would be twohanders as a kind of lonely guys bashing many, but get clusterfucked all the time, and outspammed, too. Something like lone heroes.

We already have that. I'm exactly like that, I get cluckerfucked (or gangbanged) 75% of the time. Also I'm usually outspammed, either by one handers or spears, pikes, katanas... Sometimes even by flamburgers :(

Aaaand fail!
Sauron actually used his mace with one hand! ;)

That's because he's so big, that mace is twohanded mace in the hands of a normal dude :D