Author Topic: chadz, wth are you doing to strategus ?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
Re: chadz, wth are you doing to strategus ?
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:59 am »

Right now I can sit in my shithole fief and make Eels.
Each Eel cost 10
Visiting cost per hour 5
Sale price of Eel ~20
Profit: 5 gold per hour

Hahahaha, that got me man.  He crafts the best fucking eels in the world, no joke.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:47 am »
The costs without an easy income are killing the game, especially for smaller clans. I do have 100 troops and the costs are eating up my money. I can't even buy gear. I get almost nothing from playing and I'm not willing to play for hours each day just not to go bankrupt. So is this game just about sitting around in towns making goods in the hope to sell them somewhere with profit now?

I have been making 8 goods in 10 hours now. If I calculated correctly I may be able to sell them somewhere at a good prize for a profit of maybe 8-10 per item. So i have a win of about 200-240 per day. So I need 100 days to buy a sword for each of my troops (they're still naked then!). Must be a joke?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:35:15 am by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:48 am »
Over 49 troops you start paying upkeep. I suggest you lose some of them and start hoarding gold to buy equipment. You could also work with a friend/clanmate and pool your resources.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:01 am »
+1
The costs without an easy income are killing the game, especially for smaller clans. I do have 100 troops and the costs are eating up my money. I can't even buy gear. I get almost nothing from playing and I'm not willing to play for hours each day just not to go bankrupt. So is this game just about sitting around in towns making goods in the hope to sell them somewhere with profit now?

I have been making 8 goods in 10 hours now. If I calculated correctly I may be able to sell them somewhere at a good prize for a profit of maybe 8-10 per item. So i have a win of about 200-240 per day. So I need 100 days to buy a sword for each of my troops (they're still naked then!). Must be a joke?

Jeez. It's not hard. Earn money first. It's not hard for a small clan. If anything it's easier, I'd hate to be one of the larger clans organising their logistics. Seriously, get some members to craft, and get some to trade to far away places. Use the extra money to start crafting equipment. Once you have the equipment for the rough number of troops you want. THEN you recruit. Avoid upkeep at all costs until you have the equipment ect out of the way. Otherwise you have unequipped troops sitting around doing nothing whilst you're paying upkeep. Either that, or split the recruits up between your members, 49 per member, and equip lots of small war bands. If you need you can then bring these together in an army.

Simple management really.

You guys have lots of members all sitting in a village (Amashke), several with quite a lot of troops on them. You're paying upkeep for no reason at all and aren't even bothering to use trading in distant cities. Of course you'll be bleeding money. Strategus now requires a bit of...guess what? STRATEGY. You can't just farm stuff any more. It requires some organisation and recognising how best to exploit the resources at your disposal.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:44:47 am by Overdriven »

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2011, 05:40:10 am »
+1
From your perspective, nothing should have changed.

Before:
You go to a town, click "work"
Hand your money to the clan so they can create and operate an army

Now:
You go to a town and click "craft"
Hand your goods to the clan so they can create and operate an army

What's so different about that?  From your perspective.

Of course, now clans need to move goods around but you only need a couple of designated "traders" doing this work.  You can also have scouts and ambushers to intercept other clans' goods.  But again, at the basic level, the average player can just go to a town, click a couple buttons and he's done.

If everyone in your clan is gathering his own goods and moving them to sell, then you are doing it wrong -- seriously.  You should be making goods and having one or two designated traders gathering them up and selling them, otherwise you are wasting a whole lot of manpower doing travel, when it could be used to make more goods.

Difference is, it feels like it takes 10x longer to actually equip and operate an army compared to last strat, meaning alot less battles... which i dunno, i thought was the point of a war game...
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:10 am »
Difference is, it feels like it takes 10x longer to actually equip and operate an army compared to last strat, meaning alot less battles... which i dunno, i thought was the point of a war game...

That's what I wanted to say actually. How long is strat up again this time - almost 10 days? As far as I have seen, there has been ONE real battle till now. All others are just 50vs30 or something like that. During last strat there were a lot of battles during the first weekend already. Is that really the purpose of a wargame?
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2011, 12:02:47 pm »
I believe that this will change in time. The amount of money in the Strategus monetary system is constantly increasing, and the money sink based on number of troops (high cost of carrying more than 48 troops) have not kick in yet. More money means equipment and after that - better equipment. Crafting will only support thisproces, and we will see masterwork stuff on battlefields.  Things will go a little faster when clans start to have enough money to take villages.

For big wars between clans we will have to wait a little bit longer, and they will look different. No more enormous armies traveling long distance. I bet that smaller clans will get their share of fiefs this time. The battles will be smaller overall.

Caravans, hunting them and fight for trade routes - that will be funny, and will dominate battles in Strat. Not sieges, or war campaigns.

And all that will surely take time. But will happen eventually. Downside - many guys interested in fights only will get bored. Others, however, will have to get better organized and have thrill form lack of control over current situation.

Overall new system may need tweaks, and economy may benefit from greater complexity, but my initial opinion about Strat 3.0 is pretty positive.

"Warband" not "Kingdom"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:31:21 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »

Which makes for battles with more meaning. If you lose a battle, it will take longer to get a new army, which means battles actually mean something. You can't just throw away your troops.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.