Author Topic: Death of horse should hurt the rider  (Read 2594 times)

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
Re: Death of horse should hurt the rider
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »
Bunch of whining horseloving forumwarriors in here, not like he wants horse speed to be halved or anything strange, falling damage is already in game and it´s plain weird cavalry who get thrown full speed face first into the dirt get away with a scratch at most every time.

There are other things that are just plain broken with cavalry, stealth hooves when approaching from behind and rubberbanding/clipping riders escaping justice when falling off are just two examples, but falling damage for horsemen should definitively be in the game.
And if its been brought up before then maybe, just maybe it is because the issue still persists and is as silly as ever.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KaffeKalle, CheeseChester, CedricTheBald, DartLeif, Baglady
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 11:33:29 pm »
if this is a realism argument, the difference is that in one a massive horse runs over you, in the other one you fall at high speed.
if its a balance argument, cav has been nurfed alot in the last few patches, practice your awareness and you will die less.

You realise of course that if your horse died  while you were on it you wouldnt just "fall off"  youd have the entire thing fall right on top of you.

And I do not make this suggestion as a realism-change, even though I do like some more realism, I make it cause I feel cavalry still is unbalanced and the death of the horse should impact the rider more than it does.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »
I make it cause I feel cavalry still is unbalanced...

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:03 am »
And I do not make this suggestion as a realism-change, even though I do like some more realism, I make it cause I feel cavalry still is unbalanced and the death of the horse should impact the rider more than it does.
I think the fact that someone can stab through a horse and have it do full damage to the rider is balance enough. I'd say that out of every time I kill a horse with melee, The rider dies before he/she hits the ground (due to weapon going through horse or being hit while in midair) about 1/4th of the time. Out of the times they survive until they hit the ground, they survive the knockdown period about 1/4th of the time. If the person does survive long enough to stand up, then I daresay it is not the game balance's fault that they survive, but merely because I made a silly mistake. I have never been frustrated with hitting the ground while attacking downed cav. I usually get a second hit in that doesn't miss and finishes the job.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 03:41:03 am »
Feel free to get on a horse and prove how easy it is.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:17 am »
+1
This is a great idea. I mean, an average horse weighs what, like a ton? A dying horse should do a 1 hit kill into anything it runs against, or at least massive damage. A rider getting his horse killed out from under him should take massive ammounts of damage from the careening ton or so of flesh, muscle and bone. Of course, the poor piker and the 4 or so teamates in front of said dead horse would also get swept away, but that would only be proper :3. And since a dead horse smashing full speed into someone does so much damage, it only makes sense that a live horse trampling someone would do even more damage. You've really opened my eyes here.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:24 am »
You realise of course that if your horse died  while you were on it you wouldnt just "fall off"  youd have the entire thing fall right on top of you.

You realise of course that if my horse died while charging you, it wouldn't just pass through you, you would be crushed underneath it instakilling you?
Cavalry has been nurfed plenty already.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »
I cant find the link right now, but I saw a TV show on YouTube where the presenter was on horse back in full gothic plate armour. He threw himself off said horse, and got up pretty quickly and was perfectly fine.

I can fall 6 feet without being half-dead irl, and yet I can't in this game. Where's the consistency?

You realise of course that if my horse died while charging you, it wouldn't just pass through you, you would be crushed underneath it instakilling you?
Cavalry has been nurfed plenty already.
I'd be fine with horse ragdolls inflicting damage, as long as all ragdolls did that. Naturally, the human ragdolls would do less.

I'm not talking about a human ragdoll that crumples beneath you, I mean one falling from above down onto others. It would be lulz.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:00:25 pm by Duke »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »
I can fall 6 feet without being half-dead irl, and yet I can't in this game. Where's the consistency?
I'd be fine with horse ragdolls inflicting damage, as long as all ragdolls did that. Naturally, the human ragdolls would do less.

I'm not talking about a human ragdoll that crumples beneath you, I mean one falling from above down onto others. It would be lulz.
Fall damage is overly punitive - agreed.

Throwing peasants off a roof onto the mob below - OP.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog