Author Topic: a new hoplite class  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: a new hoplite class
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 07:31:28 pm »
with the buckler i like the idea of 12/24 with war fork. and no shit with a big helm for a gladiator look.
you will be really fast with 8ath with no armor and the light 2.5lb shield and the 8shield skill will give good coverage

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 07:35:59 pm »
Gambesons are best choice, Moog.

Generally, anything that weights less than 3.

Offline MoogJoogular

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice, pretty new to this mod and still trying out builds.

Offline MoogJoogular

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 07:49:31 pm »
Dravic do you use a big helm too?

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »
Nah...

Normal cap is ok, if you want better protection wear some better helmets..

Basically, wear anything if it fits your style and isn't too heavy.

Offline MoogJoogular

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »
Ok last 2 questions, what is the max total armor weight to carry without slowing down?  and which steel buckler do you use? 

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 08:27:33 pm »
i use the 7700 gold buckler just because of the better coverage. and about the weight: it really depends if you are skilled and can block a few hits before striking yourself and how fast you wanna walk. if your a hoplite like my char, you wanna be fast because you can only attack in only one direction. and that way you can walk past someones block and own him like the shizzelz.
so the question is: what do you wanna be?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline MoogJoogular

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »
I'd say I'm definitely not skilled, but trying to get better lol

Offline Rendar1970

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 11:37:36 pm »
Just thought I would chime in.

My latest toon is a hoplite as well.  But I went the other route.  24/12.

I use a elite cav shield, warspear, and dhuriza llamelar.  It looks really greek hoplite.

This build is pretty damn good in groups or in siege.  But 1 on 1 your only hope is to back pedal to team mates and hope your shield holds, or drop it fight with warspears lower dmg. 

But when you working as a team its pretty fun as you are a walking tank with a good shield, decent armor, alot of HP, and and a 8 PS pierce weapon.  Its more of a support build.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »
Any polearm longer than 150 length gets a hefty damage nerf when used with a shield.

So the awlpike only has a range advantage over the battle fork. The battle fork is faster and hits harder when used with a shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 03:01:37 am »
Any polearm longer than 150 length gets a hefty damage nerf when used with a shield.

So the awlpike only has a range advantage over the battle fork. The battle fork is faster and hits harder when used with a shield.
This is not true. I thought it was and posted similarly, but I deleted my message as it is false information.
All pole arms and bastard weapons when used with 1hand suffer -30% speed and damage [The numbers are NOT a straight 30% and are lower]. End of story.
That means if a pole arm or 2hander is used on horse or with a shield it will suffer the penalty.

Reference:
My tests show the same results. The penalty with shield modifier does not effect weapon attack speed. Using bastard weapon one handed causes a significant attack speed reduction and the reduction is the same for polearms and two handed bastard weapons. The increase in time per attack depends on the weapons speed and can be calculated using the following equations for attacks made with 1 wpf:

Time per attack for using two hands = -0.0124 seconds * (weapon speed) + 2.3368 seconds
Time per attack for using one hand = -0.0195 seconds * (weapon speed) + 3.257 seconds

I have posted on this topic before about polearms and about two handed weapons.

I did some testing in the Native tutorial to get accurate damage values (the dummies have no armor and therefore no damage variance) and found that the use of a polearm weapon with one hand yields an ~30% damage reduction compared to using the same weapon with two hands. With a 20 damage quarter staff, one handed damage was 17 and the two handed damage was 24. After modifying the item_kinds1.txt file to make the quarter staff do 100 damage, the one handed damage was 78 and the two handed damage was 109.

Interestingly, the quarter staff does not have the penalty with shield modifier and modifying the item_kinds1.txt to make it have the penalty with shield modifier did not change the damage results. I tried the same thing with a long awlpike in my single player game and removing the penalty with shield modifier did not change the damage the weapon did.

Furthermore, the trigger for the attack speed and damage reduction is not holding a shield but is using the weapon one handed, as one does when using a lance from horseback. So, I really have no idea what flagging an item with penalty with shield actually does or why is named what it is.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:36 am »
But Battle Fork doesn't have penalty with shield, and Awlpike does  :rolleyes:

Either use War spear or Battle Fork...

IMHO War Spear is better. more speed, more length... only a bit (-4 points less than Battle Fork) less dmg.

You can also keep another weapon on your back, and that would be Shortened spear. 102 speed, you will thrust like crazy. Good against opponents you are not scared to hit your shield. (I mean, keep distance if you spot shield crusher like guy with axe or crushthrough guy with mauls, but you don't have to be scared of guys with normal swords)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:48:54 am by Dravic »

Offline BenMoonlight

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ben_Moonlight, Tumet, Benelos
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:58:42 am »
This is what i'm trying for a hoplite :

(click to show/hide)

I use this gear :
- Huscarl's Round Shield or Elite Cavalry Shield if i use the horse
- War Spear
- Nordic Short War Sword
- Empty slot

- Barbutte
- Lamellar Vest or nothing, or a tunic, something just to cover nudity.
- Nomad Boots or nothing
- No hand armor

Eventually, a horse, with that build.

I would like to have a throwing weapon in the last slot, to complete the character, but that would do a 3 hybrids man...
Probably after my retirement, i'll give up riding for power throw.
The war spear is absolutely needed for a hoplite. And the short nordic sword is what i think the closest weapon to a hoplite's sword, for close combat.

The look is pretty cool, and enough agi to move decently, even with the huscarl's shield. I don't really feel the lack of range with the short sword, thanks to the footwork.
Horse, that's just because i wanted one whit one of my characters ^^' but i won't really use it for battle. That's why i'll see for power throw next retirement.

Advices ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:06:07 pm by BenMoonlight »