Author Topic: Bastard Sword  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Bastard Sword
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »
Is there is a reduction in speed and damage when you use the Bastard Sword or the Heavy Bastard Sword in 1 hand with a shield?  While I am pretty sure there is, I was wondering if anyone knows excatly how much?

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Tuonela

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuonela, Merc_Tuoni
Re: Bastard Sword
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:38 pm »
IIRC speed reduction is close to 30% and I am not sure if there is damage reduction.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:42 pm »
35% reduction to speed and damage when you use a two-hander in one hand. This includes horseback weaponry. Additionally, whenever you use a shield with a 1H/2H weapon, it uses 1H WPF instead of 2H WPF. 1H/2H weapons used without a shield on horseback use 2H WPF (unless you can switch the mode, like some one-handed bastard weapons; then it simply uses whatever mode you select).

Edit: However, if you use Vargas' web tool, it gives different numbers of reduction depending on the type of weapon, shield used, mounted, etc; the percentage I provided might not be 100% correct.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:13:29 pm by Gafferjack »

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »
35% reduction to speed and damage when you use a two-hander in one hand. This includes horseback weaponry. Additionally, whenever you use a shield with a 1H/2H weapon, it uses 1H WPF instead of 2H WPF. 1H/2H weapons used without a shield on horseback use 2H WPF (unless you can switch the mode, like some one-handed bastard weapons; then it simply uses whatever mode you select).

So the bastard sword would be reduced by 35% in damage and speed even when it uses 1 hand wpf, is that right?

That would mean:

35 cut *.35= 12.25
35-12.25= 22.75 cut damage  

101 speed *.35= 35.35
101-35.5= 65.5 speed

So if the above is correct that makes this weapon totally useless for me to use as a 1 hand + shield. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:17:08 pm »
So the bastard sword would be reduced by 35% in damage and speed even when it uses 1 hand wpf, is that right?

Yes, but see my edit above. As for the speed reduction, it's likely applied as a multiplier to the formula and not to the weapon speed itself.

Usually you use a shield with a 1H/2H weapon to get close to ranged troops or to defend against multiple opponents before shouldering it and fighting with the 2H alone.

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:57 pm »
Yes, but see my edit above. As for the speed reduction, it's likely applied as a multiplier to the formula and not to the weapon speed itself.

Usually you use a shield with a 1H/2H weapon to get close to ranged troops or to defend against multiple opponents before shouldering it and fighting with the 2H alone.

Thanks for the reply Gafferjack, that was very helpful.

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:02 am »
Haven't used it in cRPG, but in Native, the heavy bastard in particular was suprisingly effective in one-handed mode. It has a reach advantage over most one-handers, and people seemed to find the different timing hard to adjust to. Not sure how that would translate over to cRPG, but it might be worth a try.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:25:24 am »
Is there is a reduction in speed and damage when you use the Bastard Sword or the Heavy Bastard Sword in 1 hand with a shield?  While I am pretty sure there is, I was wondering if anyone knows excatly how much?

My first heirloom mw katana(so 11 gens of use)= is *nearly* ineffective  in my experience in onehand mode vs using comparable onehand "class" weapons, but advancing into enemy fire with the weapon/shield you want to hit them=worth it

In "halfsword"(x)mode you can sword and shield using your pole wpf with "bastard" swords .
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:47 am »
I've always found it rather silly that there was such a steep penalty vs bastard weapons when used 1h'd with a shield.  After all, that was the entire reason they existed.  Otherwise you'd just have a 2her and/or a seperate 1her.

I think the bastard weapons should be replaced with new weapons (using the same models) that are done like the langes messer for mechanics:  IE - using the swap weapon mode button to switch it between 1h and 2h, with different stats for each mode.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:58:56 am »
Actually...that's a really good idea...

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:35:52 am »
The 1H/2H bastard weapons appear to have the same speed reduction with a shield as the 1H/2H polearms. As I posted in the penalty with shield thread, the difference in time per attack depends on the weapon speed. The percent increase in time per attack for a bastard weapon used with a shield compared to used two handed is:

Speed 102 katana: 18%
Speed 98 longsword: 20%
Speed 95 goedendag: 21%
Speed 92 morning star: 22%

This makes the katana used with a shield as fast as a 85 speed one handed weapon. The slowest standard one handed weapon is 94 speed.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:20 am »
The 1H/2H bastard weapons appear to have the same speed reduction with a shield as the 1H/2H polearms. As I posted in the penalty with shield thread, the difference in time per attack depends on the weapon speed. The percent increase in time per attack for a bastard weapon used with a shield compared to used two handed is:

Speed 102 katana: 18%
Speed 98 longsword: 20%
Speed 95 goedendag: 21%
Speed 92 morning star: 22%

This makes the katana used with a shield as fast as a 85 speed one handed weapon. The slowest standard one handed weapon is 94 speed.

Exactly.  This, imo, is a stupid mechanic for swords which were designed to be used 1h or 2h (maybe not the katana).  Much better to treat them like the Langes Messer, make it a toggled setting, and give them different stats per style used in order to maintain balance.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 04:34:33 am »
I've always found it rather silly that there was such a steep penalty vs bastard weapons when used 1h'd with a shield.  After all, that was the entire reason they existed.  Otherwise you'd just have a 2her and/or a seperate 1her.

I think the bastard weapons should be replaced with new weapons (using the same models) that are done like the langes messer for mechanics:  IE - using the swap weapon mode button to switch it between 1h and 2h, with different stats for each mode.

+1

Its sort of silly having a penalty on a sword that is supposed to be usable either 1 hand or 2 hand.  The weapon swap button is a great idea. 

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:04:56 am »
+1

Its sort of silly having a penalty on a sword that is supposed to be usable either 1 hand or 2 hand.  The weapon swap button is a great idea.
I wholeheartedly agree.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:44 am »

Probably. Of course a penalty should exist (although the reasons why they existed are not so simplistic), to prevent them from being "the" weapon, but I see no problem if it had, say, 88-90 speed in 1h mode and the damage of a normal high-cutting onehander (eg. 32c or something) with a inferior stab. So they would still be a "hybrid's choice", but not something a dedicated 1h would choose.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:47:46 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".