Author Topic: What is Good Archer Armor ?  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
Re: What is Good Archer Armor ?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »
No mate, the real archers are the guys who kill you guys, who are stood directly next to their infantry, sometimes infront of their infantry, the point to shooting is that I shoot ppl BEFORE they can hurt me: Getting headshot by a crossbow, I dont think ANYTHING will save you from that, so instead of wearing something that will ALMOST save me, Id rather just not bother, and rely on human skills to survive.

BUT OBVIOUSLY this is my opninion, and you can all wear what you like, but knowing you will die if you dont make the shot.....really helps my clutch accuracy.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »
An archer is anyone who carries a bow. Period.

A crappy worthless archer is still an archer, and an archer launching laser guided ballistic pre-patch missiles is still an archer. Period.

A Dedicated archer, however, is someone who has archery as the main focus of his or her class.

A Ninja is a style of play, an Archer is a class like One Hander or Shielder or Polearm or Cav. Ninja = 2Her or Thrower, Thrower or 2Her =/= Ninja.

Dedicated Archer, a bow/2Her Hybrid Archer, or a Sword and Board carrying just one quiver and a bow for skirmishing are all Archers.

In the heat of battle, I will be damned if I say on teamspeak "Hey there is a heavily armored fake archer who is actually a pole arm user on the roof to our right!" or "There is a guy with a bow on the roof to our right!" Instead I shall be sane and say quickly "There is an archer on the roof to our right!" and everyone knows what I am talking about.

EDIT: Archer: One that shoots with a bow and arrow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:02:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
Gray has a point, I never wear armour on Nanna except for fun and as a HA/A you have all that cha ching so money in the bank isn't a prob joe. Archer or horse archer is a no armour no brainer thing. But to answer the original question, there is only one thing you have to do...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Added the last spoiler..  :wink:

Wait, I know Archers get mad amounts of money, but HA? That horse is expensive. Used to ride steppes until people with +3 riding over me on sarranids showed up, so started riding sarranids.

I used to believe in grey's doctrine in dodging with mad skills and making no mistakes, but that no longer is practical for me. Factor in lag, the massive amount of missiles (you can dodge 4 out of 5, but 1 will hit you if the 5 man team firing line sees you.) and of course, plain human error. After getting 1 shot with bows because of no armour, I now wear some leather (not studded) to be able to take 2 shots. Many thanks to the suggestions here.

In short, to hades with maneuverability, bring on some protection. Don't fly a flimsy, nimble zero, fly a mustang and gun them down in head on attacks while your armour saves you. Taking hits like a man and shooting them down afterwards is the name of the game.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »
Grey, I don't want to be on the same team as you on siege.  You would be one of those archers sitting on the walls pewpewing while the flag is going down with your no armor self, while the real archers pull out their melee weapons with their decent armor charge to the rescue and stand on the flag until the heavy infantry arrive.  Seriously Grey with how slow the bow reloads, unless you camp as an archer or run away every time someone even gets near you, you are going to have to pull out a melee weapon and having decent armor is very useful fighting multiple opponents swinging from multiple directions, while the close range throwers are tossing javelins into the mix.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:34:00 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »
Grey, I don't want to play siege with you.  You would be one of those archers sitting on the walls pewpewing while the flag is going down with your no armor self, while the real archers pull out their melee weapons with their decent armor charge to the rescue and stand on the flag until the heavy infantry arrive.  Seriously Grey with how slow the bow reloads, unless you camp as an archer or run away every time someone even gets near you, you are going to have to pull out a melee weapon and having decent armor is very useful fighting multiple opponents swinging from multiple directions, while the close range throwers are tossing javelins into the mix.

This is actually a damn good reason why I also wear armor. In siege even if I am running with no melee weapon, I still dance around in melee firing arrows point blank and of course sometimes I do not pull away in time and get hit due to a dozen blood thirsty goons.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
  • Faction: Baldr
  • Game nicks: Baldr & Balder
  • IRC nick: Baldr damnit!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:08 pm »
Grey, I don't want to be on the same team as you on siege.  You would be one of those archers sitting on the walls pewpewing while the flag is going down with your no armor self, while the real archers pull out their melee weapons with their decent armor charge to the rescue and stand on the flag until the heavy infantry arrive
This is actually a damn good reason why I also wear armor. In siege even if I am running with no melee weapon, I still dance around in melee firing arrows point blank and of course sometimes I do not pull away in time and get hit due to a dozen blood thirsty goons.
I agree with this, it is smart to wear armour as a archer it can help you survive in melee. But when you say its stupid for an archer in siege to run down to protect flag you are mistaken imo, unless there are very few melee or obvious noblites you would do your team a favour to keep that arrow rain flowing. You have no or very little chance of actually doing anything useful at flag, of course some people are good at manual blocking and actually can use their secondary weapon with skill but most can not and will mostly be in the way. (Obvious exceptions, when flag needs a boost, no melee present and so on)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:01:30 pm by Baldr »

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »
Grey, I don't want to be on the same team as you on siege.  You would be one of those archers sitting on the walls pewpewing while the flag is going down with your no armor self, while the real archers pull out their melee weapons with their decent armor charge to the rescue and stand on the flag until the heavy infantry arrive.  Seriously Grey with how slow the bow reloads, unless you camp as an archer or run away every time someone even gets near you, you are going to have to pull out a melee weapon and having decent armor is very useful fighting multiple opponents swinging from multiple directions, while the close range throwers are tossing javelins into the mix.

Nah man I have shot u plenty, and stabbed u more. My KDR on my main archer is above 2:1, yet most of my kills are from melee......

1v1 having 1wpf really hinders me, but I thrive in combat like Lee Sin mate, nothing is more fun than fighting 3+ guys with my nuwedao, chop fucking chop chop block block jumping headchop just me left alive is how I roll, those guys shooting from the wall are not archers either.

An archer is anyone who carries a bow. Period.

A crappy worthless archer is still an archer, and an archer launching laser guided ballistic pre-patch missiles is still an archer. Period.

A Dedicated archer, however, is someone who has archery as the main focus of his or her class.

A Ninja is a style of play, an Archer is a class like One Hander or Shielder or Polearm or Cav. Ninja = 2Her or Thrower, Thrower or 2Her =/= Ninja.

Dedicated Archer, a bow/2Her Hybrid Archer, or a Sword and Board carrying just one quiver and a bow for skirmishing are all Archers.

In the heat of battle, I will be damned if I say on teamspeak "Hey there is a heavily armored fake archer who is actually a pole arm user on the roof to our right!" or "There is a guy with a bow on the roof to our right!" Instead I shall be sane and say quickly "There is an archer on the roof to our right!" and everyone knows what I am talking about.

EDIT: Archer: One that shoots with a bow and arrow.

No. sry. Having a horse does make you a Knight. It just makes you cavalry. Owning a bow makes you a ranged unit. An archer is king of the battlefield, we carry the bow and use it primarily because it takes more skill than the sword.

I love the sword, I play MB, crpg, all mods that I find, singleplayer, oldschool M n B, because I FUCKING LOVE THE SWORD.

But the bow it takes more skill, more dedication, a cooler head, more awareness.

I dont wear armour, thats my choice, I dont recommend it. I do it because I have to do it. To be able to stand in the way of a charging knight, and know, this man, hes mine, he doesnt know it, he thinks this is a fight.....and just as he knows that hes GOT ME, shhhhwap, killed him. Thats taking a risk and relying on skill. Anyone can stack armour.

I aim to kill with style, armour and shield have a dmg output of 0, and I know life is more complicated than that but, since they do not dmg I dont need them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_FhgCllS4&feature=related

thats why I stand there in no armour. It is a risk that I take because it makes me feel good. To me you are all the bull, the harder you come at me the less I must do to hurt you.

And since this is my view, all my opinions on armour should be viewed as just that, my opinions, and IMHO, true archers are the ones that can kill you with the sword np, without too much effort, but shoot you because it is the stylish and skillfull way of doing it. Guys in full chainmail with a huscarl shield on their backs, they are not shooting for stylish skillkills, they are the same as crossbowmen, desperate for any scrap off the killtable, and are just dogs to me.

Leather for archers is stylish. Studded Leather Coat is the best low armour item in the game by stats, but the morale debuff you get from wearing a leather bodycondom is massive...

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »
Lets all be naked and hug trees
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »
if we were all naked then it would not fun to be naked anymore, for me...

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 05:09:07 pm »
Leather for archers is stylish. Studded Leather Coat is the best low armour item in the game by stats, but the morale debuff you get from wearing a leather bodycondom is massive...

I have never meant "lol" more then when I got to  "but the morale debuff you get from wearing a leather bodycondom is massive..."

Classic fucking great man, made my day.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 05:12:30 pm »
You KNOW its bad man.....combine it with

Byzantion Helmet   794   
weight 1
head armor 26
body armor 0
leg armor 0
requirement 7

and you might as well have come dressed as a penis....

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR