Author Topic: What is Good Archer Armor ?  (Read 4065 times)

Offline sambo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Oinkage
  • Game nicks: Oink_Smilledge
What is Good Archer Armor ?
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:59:46 pm »
+1
Hey im just wondering what is good armor for an archer, i do not thing wearing heavy armor is a good idea so what armor should an archer wear.

thanks
Oink Oink

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: What is Good Archer Armor ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »
Anything you desire that does not have a total weight greater then 7.5. Double the weight of Gloves and triple for boots when calculating this.

Avoid good head armor, as it never saves you anyways and is usually just cosmetic for the weight restrictions you have to play with (Enemy archers will still blow your head off just as you do to them). Boots are a low importance as well, though useful.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:14:56 pm »
I don't wear anything that has a combined weight of over 7.5 due to the negative effect it has on your run speed. Depending on whether or not your bow is heirloomed and what level you are can effect what I would recommend.

Most of the time being that I prefer to use the warbow, and only have it heirloomed once, I normally never wear anything heavier than the Leather Jerkin with Khergit Leather Boots. The amount of armor you wear does effect your draw speed. So if I am going up against large amounts of other archers I will even drop the Leather Jerkin for a Red Tunic just so I can have a slightly faster drawspeed.

However, I've seen other archers using heirloomed Strong bows who are able to wear medium heavy armor yet fire just as quickly as I can using my setup. So if this is the case and you are using a heirloomed Strong Bow then you can obviously wear something slightly heavier if you like. However, this will effect your run speed.

Pretty much in the end it doesn't matter what you wear as long as it doesn't exceed 7.5 weight when all combined together as this once again effects your run speed. So just experiment around with different light armor you prefer and see what you like. As an archer you will always have plenty of money anyway to buy any light armor you want to try out.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:29:06 pm »
Try the Studded Leather Coat. It's the "Ranged bread and Butter", also a nice economical armor, if you're running low on cash.

Only downside that it looks ugly, but you can select anything else, ofc. Just watch your total weight, to avoid the WPF penalty, or make it as low as possible. As an Archer, every WPF point counts.  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:52 pm »
I don't wear anything that has a combined weight of over 7.5 due to the negative effect it has on your run speed. Depending on whether or not your bow is heirloomed and what level you are can effect what I would recommend.

Most of the time being that I prefer to use the warbow, and only have it heirloomed once, I normally never wear anything heavier than the Leather Jerkin with Khergit Leather Boots. The amount of armor you wear does effect your draw speed. So if I am going up against large amounts of other archers I will even drop the Leather Jerkin for a Red Tunic just so I can have a slightly faster drawspeed.

However, I've seen other archers using heirloomed Strong bows who are able to wear medium heavy armor yet fire just as quickly as I can using my setup. So if this is the case and you are using a heirloomed Strong Bow then you can obviously wear something slightly heavier if you like. However, this will effect your run speed.

Pretty much in the end it doesn't matter what you wear as long as it doesn't exceed 7.5 weight when all combined together as this once again effects your run speed. So just experiment around with different light armor you prefer and see what you like. As an archer you will always have plenty of money anyway to buy any light armor you want to try out.

So the weight of 7.5 stones includes armour and all equips (except horse right)? Are you saying a loadout below 7.5 does not affect archer draw speed? I thought it was still 5, and only counting armour.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »
Weapons/shields/ammo decrease how fast you run but Not the wpf reduction.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. So what's the weight threshold for armour before draw speed or accuracy decreases start showing? Is it 5, or is it 7.5? Is it armour only, or entire loadout? I ride a horse so pedestrian concerns such as run speed are a non issue.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:14 pm »
Folks here say that it's 7,5. And it's only your armour, but helmets can lower your WPF more than other parts of armour, as far as I know, helmets have a 3x multiplier on weight penalty.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »
Folks here say that it's 7,5. And it's only your armour, but helmets can lower your WPF more than other parts of armour, as far as I know, helmets have a 3x multiplier on weight penalty.

I honestly would not know, as my "helmet" is just for looks and has a 0 weight. Some days I do not even wear it just to be contrair.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »
Yeah, it was implemented to stop archers using closed helmets. Looked surreal and retarded at the same time.

Maybe there are idiots still doing it, but it'll hurt their accuracy badly.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
9 to 9.5 weight body armor with .1 weight helmet and .5 weight boots is good if you are a balanced or agility build.  If you are going strength build archer to maximize damage you should wear 4.5-5 weight body armor with no helmet or .1 weight head and .5 weight boots again to get the most benefit in accuracy and draw speed possible from wpf.  I swear by .5 weight mail gauntlets no matter what else I wear.  If you are doing the agility build style armor you can get about 40 body armor which will help you survive longer, that drops down to about 30 with the strength build armor but is balanced by more hitpoints.  To give an example I sometimes wear the light leather with no helmet or cavalry helmet (1 lb) mail gauntlets and light leather boots, with my other ensemble being a cavalry robe with a wimple 0 lb (looks like a middle eastern head covering).  Nice to have a theme and there are plenty of lightweight armors to play around with.   Also if you are eventually heirlooming armor, would recommend starting with your gauntlets as most people change those up the least across different builds.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:31 pm »
Plate, nothing said.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:20:49 am »
I would say the studded leather coat, gives 30 armor at 5 weight, the next one gives 36 at 9.5 weight, its realy is the best lightweight armora.

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:02 am »
Most of these are all good responses, but seriously the lighter you keep it the quicker you'll fire your bow. Honestly you shouldn't be taking that many hits as an archer anyway. The only other players that should be laying any sort of hits on you are other archers.

You should always be strafing anyway and the quicker you can fire, the easier it is to take out enemy archers. So once again I say keep it light, as light of armor as you can bear your character running around in.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:27:19 am »
Straw hat, leather gloves, leather jerkin, leather boots ftw! Btw after I get done heirlooming my poleaxe Im gonna heirloom my straw hat.... Lol
Pock gobblers