Author Topic: Cavalry Balance Solution  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
Re: Cavalry Balance Solution
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2012, 05:23:26 am »
+3
Well, older, maybe.

And as for noobs blocking nowadays, go on NA, witness the block consistency of the noobs.

And ofc you rolled lancer so often, doesn't take a genius to work out why. If I hit up Europe anytime soon, I'll shove my long hafted spiked mace up your colon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2012, 05:31:29 am »
+2
Well, older, maybe.

And as for noobs blocking nowadays, go on NA, witness the block consistency of the noobs.

And ofc you rolled lancer so often, doesn't take a genius to work out why. If I hit up Europe anytime soon, I'll shove my long hafted spiked mace up your colon.
Yeah remember to bring vaselin so it won't hurt too bad when I shove my axe in your Australia, if you know what I mean ;)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 05:30:49 pm »
Sounds like a pretty horrible idea. Only reason I don't like cav is because there are so many of them. Making them useless is not a way to fix them, and I don't think there is a way to fix them until people start working in a team. Cav was excellent in this era. Nothing we can do about that.

It's why I play siege and rageball a lot.

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 05:55:51 pm »
Sounds like a pretty horrible idea. Only reason I don't like cav is because there are so many of them. Making them useless is not a way to fix them, and I don't think there is a way to fix them until people start working in a team. Cav was excellent in this era. Nothing we can do about that.

It's why I play siege and rageball a lot.

As bad as the idea may be, I still think it's more sensible than Thomeks Drag Car horse thread, where the main concept was that they can't turn adequately to be of any use. Cav do well, because the typical awareness in a big-scale battle is close to none, for some reason... Yet one would think -would- be developed due to the continuing influx of cav on EU and NA servers?

Therefore, to compensate for the poor awareness of the typical player, that's one reason I deemed a nerf to cavalry necessary, as there's a lot more infantry than there are cav, deeming the infantry as easy pickings for the most part.

And so far, I think this is probably... the most realistic approach to the matter at hand, as the twig-lances (light to heavy) are skinny, and would likely... not last more than one or so charges.

Couching lances would of course, be devoid of the breaking principle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 06:46:22 pm »
I don't support Thomeks thread either.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:55 pm »
In 1257 AD there's this nice thing where if a horse runs into a prepared spear it counts as a couch against the horse, typically killing the horse outright
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:19 am »
Son of Odin, look around you right now look at your gut, your greasy man-child hands and ask yourself if you are really that sad that you get your kicks from being a loser on an Role Playing Game forum.

PK Black Wind here does know what he is talking about. Cav is indeed an effective role to play but it lacks the depth and intensity that melee combat generates. If lances were to break after a certain amount of damage delivered or amount of couches or stabs then lances could be longer and better without being overpowered. Lance cav would have to think twice before couching or stabbing at a shield user.

Son of Odin leave this post. You are not qualified to comment on the finer intricacies of cRPG and you are not respected by the community or your own cRPG peers.

How do you know how old Black Wind is anyway? Do not waste forum space PM me if you have a serious response.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:22 am »
+1
This feels like the only way to balance cav... it would force them to carry a good sidearm, so we wouldn't see anymore lancer cav carrying a giant polearm/2h on their back. Pretty stupid seeing cav go around lancing person after person, and unlike some people say, its easy to outrange the 2h greatswords if you know what your doing, Huey, Rohypnol, Hobb and many other good cav do it all the time. I made a cav alt and im even able to do it when i try hard, and im speaking from the perspective of my 2h main and from my cav alt. Playing on my cav alt, im able to maintain like a 3:1 KD ratio and i am terrible at cav, haven't played it since the beta of warband. And you can say that the good players are aware and can sidestep cav, or carry a pike etc, but fact is, eventually those players are gonna get locked down in a melee fight where they cant pay full attention to the cav. This would also force cav to pick their targets, so they cant just go rambo and lance everything in sight, or waste their lance couching the late spawners/afks.Also, on a realism note, Knights would normaly drop their lances after the first charge, if they were still even intact (which was highly unlikely). This suggestion would make cav less appealing, but still viable, so we wont see 15 people out of the 40 man team on horses. Not to mention, it might make the double sided lance useful.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 01:40:04 am »
+1
I don't see how making lances more powerful and easier to use while at the same time making them ammo based weapons will make the role any more skillbased. It's actually the opposite because the difference between a good and a bad cav player would be reduced, the good player being unable to make more kills than what the lance can sustain before breaking. Just like what would happen if maneuver was nerfed.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 02:48:16 am »
Well in the case lances broke they would fight with swords from horseback. This is actually realistic... now, balanced... take your pick.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 03:26:40 am »
Then remove the ability for the majority of polearms to stop horses. And remove increased leg damage. Otherwise all those inevitable 1h cav would have a pretty shit time.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:52 am »
Naked horses can already survive headshots from my longbowman, so I'd say they dont need to be buffed more.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 04:29:41 am »
Well along with my other suggestions that are probably not going to be implemented anyways, I think increasing damage done to the head while decreasing or removing the leg damage increase will fit a favorable balance between a cav nerf while rewarding the skill of the cav player.

How it helps other classes:

-Skilled archers can kill cav easier.
-Most ranged would be able to protect themselves from frontal assaults even better once they see the horse instead of the horse tanking hits.
-Defines a clear target to attack the horse for melee. It will be harder to hit the head, but more rewarding. Sidestepping and hitting the body/legs may not kill the horse. Stabs will be much more dangerous now.
-1h still a little crappy against cav, but some of the 1h stabs will be able to hit the horse head among the very skilled. Any suggestion I think of buffing shield vs cav will just get ignored.

How it helps cav:

-No more horse getting 1shot by teammates as easily.
-More interesting cav vs. cav duels
-Skilled cav must learn to control keeping their horse's head from too much danger.
-If riding into a group, the guy in front of you will be the most dangerous. The ones to the side probably won't be able to 1-2 shot your horse.

How it hurts cav directly

-Focus on maneuverable horses.
-Frontal attacks are more of a challenge against skilled opponents.
-If you get stopped by a single opponent, more likely to get dehorsed by him since the head is easily exposed.

Basically, I think this will nerf bad cav while keeping skilled cav relatively the same against most (I think it will help them demolish other cav more easily). Reckless moves get punished more and other classes' high skilled players will do better against cav. I'm not sure whether or not the increased head damage with removed leg damage bonus will help or hurt 1h/2h cav.

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:38 am »
I don't see how making lances more powerful and easier to use while at the same time making them ammo based weapons will make the role any more skillbased. It's actually the opposite because the difference between a good and a bad cav player would be reduced, the good player being unable to make more kills than what the lance can sustain before breaking. Just like what would happen if maneuver was nerfed.

I didnt see anything about making lances more powerful or easier to use... but that's because i skipped most of the thread since it was PK and fallen bitching at each other it seemed, but the difference between good and bad cav would be that the good cav will still be useful after their lance breaks, using their sidearm like a sword, axe, morning star etc. And being good cav doesn't mean you have to get a ton of kills, bumping enemies helps a ton.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies