Author Topic: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2155
  • Infamy: 2268
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »
It doesn't slow you down that much at all. My shield (Heavy Round Shield) slows my movement roughly 50% (combat movement, not sprint movement), plate armour almost nothing. This is just wrong.

Talking movement speed here, btw, although it should also get a bit a swing speed reduction. NOT wpf reduction, but swing speed reduction. Even with only 1 wpf and plate, one can swing too fast.

If you dislike your shield so much you should try playing without it :P

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:27 pm »
I don't know about the shield you're using but when I used Elite Cavalry Shield I didn't feel slowed down at all.
I use the Heavy Round Shield (7.5 weight), which is one of the heavier medium-weight shields . The Elite Cavalry Shield (5.5 weight) is one of the lighter middle-weight shields. So you're not as slowed down as I am, but you should have noticed a difference. Can you honestly say you you're not much faster without the shield? Not talking swing speed, block speed; just the movement speed (NOT sprinting speed).

EDIT:
If you dislike your shield so much you should try playing without it :P
Oh, I do Leshma. It's way easier and I can more kills and all. I changed to shielder because of strat (version 2) because we needed them and shields were still useful then. The reason I still stay as shielder is because of my random freezes, in which having the shield up have saved me so many times I can't count them. Used to be a polearm or polearm cav before I started getting those freezes. I miss that :(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:31:28 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
Made a video to demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN4H2AJgbC0

As can be seen, I'm actually running faster with the shield than with the poleaxe, probably due to weapon length mechanics.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

As can be seen, I'm actually running faster with the shield than with the poleaxe, probably due to weapon length mechanics.
Ya derp, you missed my point. I'm talking about having the shield at all. The weight's of the shield is the same whether you have them on the back or in your hand. What I am saying is that the shield weights are slowing you down so much its retarded. Try doing the same after dropping your shield. You'll be faster.

Also, you were doing sprinting tests there. Those are actually pretty much the same (although it still pisses me off how I get outrun by a tincan with a flamberge when I got my Brown Rus Lammelar and Shield). I am talking the movement you do when you are fighting someone. Not holding a block/attack up all the time, but trying to dart in and out of range and etc. You know, footwork.

PS: As you mentioned the weapon length mechanics regarding speed. Isn't it about time that 1handers get the same influence as pole/2h does? As Waltf4 found out, long 1handers slows you down more than long 2handers for some reason. Kinda derpy, but another discussion.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
Ya derp, you missed my point. I'm talking about having the shield at all. The weight's of the shield is the same whether you have them on the back or in your hand. What I am saying is that the shield weights are slowing you down so much its retarded. Try doing the same after dropping your shield. You'll be faster.

Also, you were doing sprinting tests there. Those are actually pretty much the same (although it still pisses me off how I get outrun by a tincan with a flamberge when I got my Brown Rus Lammelar and Shield). I am talking the movement you do when you are fighting someone. Not holding a block/attack up all the time, but trying to dart in and out of range and etc. You know, footwork.

PS: As you mentioned the weapon length mechanics regarding speed. Isn't it about time that 1handers get the same influence as pole/2h does? As Waltf4 found out, long 1handers slows you down more than long 2handers for some reason. Kinda derpy, but another discussion.

1h add 0.5 to their weapon weight, that's all.

And no, that was not a sprinting test, it was an accel test, char just barely goes into sprint over that distance.

Also, brb with a new vid.

Le vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UdZhoIv658

"Darting in and out of range" is the same thing as accelerating, just more difficult to show in a vid.

You having problems with that is probably due to the short range of 1h.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:53:57 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

I have to admit that I dont see much difference in the vid. Seems almost the same speed in all combinations. I dont see any difference in speed during game if the weapon is sheated or not either.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »
Shielder´s are fine thx to a certain 1h dev  :lol:

I wouldn´t mind being a shielder i just hate the fact that i allways grow bored of being a shielder rly fast thx to no manuel blocking

EDIT: wait wasn't :!: this a thread about upkeep??  :|
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.