Author Topic: Smithing Skill - discussion  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Smithing Skill - discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:12 pm »
Yea except in the whole time I have played I never got that message so even if I wanted to be a smith it would be impossible for me.

There is a valid in game crpg reward for a smithing skill anyway as I suggested on page 1, lower repair costs.
I'd say that's more because the chance of getting the skill is too random.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 12:34:52 am »
+2
How about training time spent in strategus to gain the skill points? After all, a Strat based Skill should be used in Strat, and Gained in Strat. Keep all of the Strat Stuff in Strat.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:59 am »
Maybe you can change something about the "players above 30 don't get the message anymore" ?

For me it's all a bit confusing as I know I received the message on my main several times, but I can't craft anything. I don't know which items I wore, but still I think I should be able to craft anything. Why can't I?

And now that I'm lvl 32 I have no chance to get any crafting skills anymore, which sucks because I have no chance to support my clan now with some nice items :/

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 12:45:20 am »
+2
sorry I made an entire new thread but in the man time can you make it so level 30+ could get message?
Just a soldier

Offline Mannhammer

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Only War is Eternal
    • View Profile
    • Forty Thousand Years In The Future
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 01:10:03 am »
I really likes Leets second idea. Implement non-combat skills just like in the single player. I've always thought this would be cool, but I understand that it would be hard and take a whole retooling if the strat concept.

Still  +1 to Leet
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 09:13:48 am »
To get the message, did you have to actually HAVE a heirloomed item equipped? I gave away all of my looms to a clanmate and kept playing without them. I never got the message after that.
Nope, I've gotten it while wearing nothing but basic gear.

I've gotten the message a lot more times than I recall actually noticing.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 02:18:08 am »
How about training time spent in strategus to gain the skill points? After all, a Strat based Skill should be used in Strat, and Gained in Strat. Keep all of the Strat Stuff in Strat.

the only problem i have with this is how do u determine whether u can craft thick/masterwork items etc?

I supposed you could start by only being able to craft normal items and then as your skill increases with that item you can craft higher quality but then wouldnt we end up with most troops in Lordly gear with MW items in strat?

Im probably shooting myself in the foot but maybe it should be impossible to choose to craft Lordly/MW items etc and there should be a random chance that the item you make is of better quality than normal.

You could then have "Elite" armies with the better gear and just give normal stuff for the average armies.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:19:40 am by RandomDude »

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 02:19:41 am »
the only problem i have with this is how do u determine whether u can craft thick/masterwork items etc?

I supposed you could start by only being able to craft normal items and then as your skill increases with that item you can craft higher quality but then wouldnt we end up with most troops in Lordly gear with MW items in strat?

Im probably shooting myself in the foot but maybe it should be impossible to choose to craft Lordly/MW items etc and there should be a random chance that the item you make is of better quality than normal.
Are you actually asking how? You just get the message while you have a loomed item equipped and you get smithing skills in it

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 02:46:01 am »
Are you actually asking how? You just get the message while you have a loomed item equipped and you get smithing skills in it
Are you actually ignoring the quote in his comment? Since I can do that too and gonna ask who the fuck you are talking too?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 03:39:45 am »
+1
Imo we want:

- Less random
- Player influence (tied to the above.)
- Individuality
- cRPG and strat connection
- Minimize grind
- Incentives to use strat
- Player interaction
- I missed something?!

So, with those things in mind one suggestion could be:

a) Each round you win with x5 gives you a smithing point. This smithing point can be assigned to any owned item.
1st level cost 1 point, 2nd level cost 2 points, 3 level cost 4 etc. etc. (what ever exponential formula you wanna use).
This solution does not engange in more strat use, but is pretty well combined with the rest of the crpg gameplay.

b) Assigning smithing points for every item a person creates only extend grind behaviour in strat. No real interaction.

c) Right now exp in strat is bad. Maybe you gain smithing skill for fighting more strat battles? Again we should avoid randomly assigned points.
Awarding it to top K/D would be counter intuitive compared to general arguments for support builds etc. on public server.

d) Smithing mini-game: Around the map, randomly redistributed are smith masters. When you defeat a smith master ( a bot on a duel server) in a duel you gain the master title. After you gain a title you keep it but can be challenged by other players. If you lose a duel to another player you lose that mastery title. You can only have on mastery title..
This method would award skill and not entice to grind. Would invite to exploring etc. etc.
Weapons might have three titles available like: 5 aprentice titles, 3 master and 1 Grandmaster (25% bonus, 50% bonus and 75% bonus).
In order to win against the npc you'd have to defeat him in his equipment.
In order to defeat players to gain the title, defender chooses eq, but MUST use mastery item.
If you own a mastery title and happen to have the same item heirloomed (of any level) you are able to produce heirloomed weapons in strat.

I like my d) best!!!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:24:42 pm by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 04:11:24 am »
+1
All thine work should work for level 31 and up as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art