Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125195 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:38 am »
I feel like it's not quite as easy to divide and conquer the campaign AI as it was in the past, it uses its armies a bit more rationally. That's not to say it's not still dumb, just does a little less truly retarded shit. Playing EB it keeps sending tiny armies at me to die piecemeal instead of gathering them together for a proper strike.

Also, in the newer games it's good that they finally made autocalc actually work. RTW is a nightmare because the autocalc is so incredibly unfair in favor of the AI that you have to fight pretty much every single chickenshit battle just to avoid taking huge casualties for no reason and having half the enemy get away alive. With the new games when the enemy hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of surviving, or even hurting you, you can actually hit the autocalc and get the expected result.

Well, nah, you can actually get better results than expected with autocalc in R:TW, especially when sieging something. Taking a walled city that has a general unit + some 2 regiments in it whilst losing just 50 troops (with huge unit sizes)? H'okay.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2013, 10:58:30 am »
That's pretty much the one exception where it works like it should. Half the time I try using autocalc on, say, a 2000 vs 1000 open field battle, it winds up with me winning the battle but taking 1000 casualties, while they take 500 and escape with the rest. Playing the battle out, I take maybe 200 casualties and wipe out their whole army. It's ridiculous.
Don't.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2013, 11:01:23 am »
The price for lazyness.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:35 am »
I generally prefer to just get on with it so I can actually get to the good battles. After the first fifty or so walkover victories over pathetically small armies, it gets a bit tedious.
Don't.

Offline Emotion

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 145
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • pls
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Friends with Benefits
  • Game nicks: Noodles
  • IRC nick: Noodles
« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »
I enjoy smaller skirmishes more than super large battles.
Quote from: Testicleez
Noodles (Nibbles): One of my top dawgs. A godly c-rpg player and a chill ass muhfucka'. He's supposed to be adopting me once he gets married. One day I'll get him to order me a pizza… One day.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »
I like both, but it's boring when you outnumber them so much that winning with negligible losses is just a formality. I prefer it when they outnumber me instead.
Don't.

Offline Emotion

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 145
  • pls
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Friends with Benefits
  • Game nicks: Noodles
  • IRC nick: Noodles
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
I like both, but it's boring when you outnumber them so much that winning with negligible losses is just a formality. I prefer it when they outnumber me instead.

I agree.
Quote from: Testicleez
Noodles (Nibbles): One of my top dawgs. A godly c-rpg player and a chill ass muhfucka'. He's supposed to be adopting me once he gets married. One day I'll get him to order me a pizza… One day.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »
I generally prefer to just get on with it so I can actually get to the good battles. After the first fifty or so walkover victories over pathetically small armies, it gets a bit tedious.

Maybe they should do this like in EUIII, if you bring an army ten times bigger than the enemy, the smaller force automatically loses.

Might be annoying if the AI can use it, but no stopping for small annoyances either.

But yeah, it's fun to rout an army like.. three times bigger than yours, if you play well.  :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:18 am »
+3
They're probably going to heavily restrict moddability so they can make more money off of DLC's.

Creative Assembly are happy to announce our first DLC for Total War: Rome II!!

The Belt DLC! Only £20.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »
+3
Arverni (Gaul)

“Belief, dignity, power.”

Descended from a long line of Celts, the warlike Arverni are one of the most powerful tribes of central Gaul. Far more than mere barbarian looters and raiders, they have a complex and sophisticated culture centred at Nemossos, their stronghold near the Gergovia plateau.

Ruled by kings and tribal chieftains, but deferent to their druids, there exists a rigid social order amongst the Arverni. Prestige and power come from a man's abilities as a warrior and a leader as much as his lineage.

Heavily dependent on infantry, the Arverni make great use of javelins and the devastating impact of the charge, led by elite warriors such as Spear Nobles and Oathsworn. It is by fighting this way that leaders have earned their places: as champions, proving themselves in conflict.

While many matters ostensibly fall to the Arverni's kings and chieftains, in reality, much is governed by the will of the druids, including declarations of war or peace. Blending animism with a pantheon of greater, local and lesser household gods, the Celtic religion is one of the key factors uniting the disparate Gallic tribes.

Seemingly unstoppable en masse, Gallic tribes sacked Rome in 390BC and terrorised much of the Aegean as recently as 279BC, invading Thrace, Macedon and Illyria. Maybe their destiny lies across the sea to Britannia, with all the Celtic tribes united under a single king? Or to the south, to finally put paid to the growing threat from Rome?

Noted craftsmen, the Arverni enjoy improved income from their artisans, as well as profiting from the Gauls’ expertise with gold-working. In battle, their cavalry benefit from natural Gallic horsemanship, while the charisma and fighting prowess of their kings and chieftains make them formidable warriors, and earns them diplomatic respect amongst other barbarian tribes.

(click to show/hide)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
As expected. So we're still waiting on Seleucids, Parthia or other Eastern faction, and the mystery faction, be it Ptolamaics, Baktria, Pontos, Sarmatia, Suebi, Iberia or what have you.
Don't.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »

Two screenshots for you guys.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »
So does this mean they're still adding the Suebi as playable, even after two Celtic factions, or are they just present in the Teutoburg historical battle, and non-playable in campaign? Hmm.

Either way, pretty badass song, that.
Don't.

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:49 am »
That forest in the screenshots looks incredible. Can't wait for the game!

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2013, 01:22:48 am »
It looks nice... but also quite dense. I really hope we don't have the same kinds of retarded visibility issues as we did with the original RTW.
Don't.