Author Topic: Which Heavy Horse should I use?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Which Heavy Horse should I use?
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »
So I am trying to decide which of these two horses I should get then loom to heavy.  Keep in mind I don't care so much about the charge dmg.  Mainly care about the HP, armor, spd and maneuver in that order.  The repair cost does play a bit of a role but not that much since the difference is only 590 gold.  When you are already spending over 2k I don't see it as being that much a difference.

Cataphract  Horse     44666 Gold   2233  Repair

hit points 120
body armor 50
requirement 5
horse speed 38
horse maneuver 40
horse charge 38
Gen1= 130hit 56armour 38spd 40man 46chrg

OR ....

Charger         56460   Gold    2823  Repair

hit points 130
body armor 58
requirement 5
horse speed 37
horse maneuver 38
horse charge 40
Gen1= 140hit 64armour 37spd 38man 48chrg

The main thing I would like to know is which horse is smaller?  Also is the Heavy Charger that much better with its survivability?  These days with AGI being fairly worthless expect on certain niche builds.  The fact  that more and more people are realizing this and going STR I don't know if it's worth it for the Heavy Charger.  So easy to die to a Jarid/Throwing lance/Heavy Xbow/Sniper Xbow or any attack if you going toward the person that thrust you. 

I would Consider the Heavy Mamluk Horse but I think that horse is a bit too tall for me for me.  Also not sure if I would always wanna have to get 6 or more riding skill   :(

What say you ?   Thanks in advance for any intelligent informed responses.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
Re: Which Heavy Horse should I use?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:39 pm »
Take the Cataphract horse (in comparison to the charger), faster and cheaper. But also think about the warhorse! Repair costs are even lower and maybe you like it's style (I wouldn't take the cataphract cause of that).

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:07 pm »
Take the Cataphract horse (in comparison to the charger), faster and cheaper. But also think about the warhorse! Repair costs are even lower and maybe you like it's style (I wouldn't take the cataphract cause of that).

My char is just a chick though and is scared of the big tall man horses.  j/k but really I like the ones that are smaller you get more range from your melee attacks.  Best to do 1h from a mount with the smaller mounts.  This is why I wish they didn't remove the horse scale stat maybe I can get them from singal player or old forums.  If any can help me find that info out I would be grateful thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:23:59 pm by Felagunda »

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »
My char is just a chick though and is scared of the big tall man horses.  j/k but really I like the ones that are smaller you get more range from your melee attacks.  Best to do 1h from a mount with the smaller mounts.  This is why I wish they didn't remove the horse scale stat maybe I can get them from singal player or old forums.  If any can help me find that info out I would be grateful thanks.
well the cataphrac is for sure smaller than the charger, trust me on that.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »
well the cataphrac is for sure smaller than the charger, trust me on that.

So it's by a good bit then?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »
The first War Horse is small as well.

Go for either Cata/WarHorse.

What kind of armour do you use? Western stuff won't go well with the Cataphract.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:04 pm »
The first War Horse is small as well.

Go for either Cata/WarHorse.

What kind of armour do you use? Western stuff won't go well with the Cataphract.  :)

Yeah that's my point, I went for the warhorse, cause cataphrac didnt fit my knightly style and it's cheaper anyway.

Offline Stokes

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stokes52, ArcherStokes, and now by popular demand: ThrowerStokes
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:13 am »
I don't know if you're "set" on using a warhorse, but I would like to point out that the difference between a regular courser/destrier (Medium horses) and the heavy loomed versions is MASSIVE!

Before, when using a regular courser I could easily go down to 2-3 arrow shots, however since looming it often takes upwards of five arrows and I can often even survive throwers. Combined with the speed I can dodge most other projectiles. I seriously feel like it's effectiveness has doubled.  The key is the armor increase - armor seems to be the most important factor, especially when dealing with archers - which use cut damage.

That said, looming a medium horse is not at all a bad investment for survivability. If you're set on heavy horses however, I'd definitely look at it's armor as a determining factor, more so than just HP.