Author Topic: Kong Ming's Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps. (No Module System Required)  (Read 16934 times)

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Kong Ming's Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps. (No Modules Required)
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »
All of your wishes are also my wishes. I just want the editor to act more like the old editors I used for Quake and Halflife.

As for your problems, the only one I have encountered is the crashing. I also gave up trying to make indoor-only maps because they seems to really screw up the terrain and how players move around. For example, your cavern map.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Infamy

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
thanks for the guide :)

btw is there a way to simulate nighttime?

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
Unfortunately, time of day and weather conditions are controlled by the server and not the map.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Very good work Kong Ming, this tool is very usefull and your tutorial is clear. You give the key to avoid the worst parts : edit, coding, module system...
Thx to you to sharing this with the community, almost everybody can have fun in creating his own map, it's'pretty easy, needs only time to familiarize with all the stuff and long list of object.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I'm glad it's helpful!  Someday when I'm less lazy, I'll also be adding a short guide to the editor itself with some tips and tricks for map design.  Good luck!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
What we need is a nicely ordered list with all the props grouped by theme (food, furniture, walls, buildings, etc.). I'm using a proptest map, where I placed most of the bigger props, so I can easily find one, if needed, but it takes too much time to always load this special map, then reload the map you were working on...
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
Thanks! This is a great guide. :D

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
Question: How do you make "breakable" doors and Doors that "Open/Close"? Im making a siege map with a castle and a sprawling town that surrounds it. I need doors that break/open/close. thank you and also siege ladders that go up to the wall would be helpful. Yet another question: I have a problem with the flag.. It duplicates its self and only works for nords defending. Any answer would be much appreciated. :P 

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
This thread is helpful as far as ladders,

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89831.0.html

If your siege flag is problematic make sure you are NOT using any of the physical props.  Only entry point 66.  Having the props anywhere in the map make it do crazy things.  Haven't bothered with doors yet, guess I should do that at some point.  I'd search the modding section of the Taleworlds forums, I'm certain there's an answer there.

Offline Professor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elton_Yawn
I'm having problems with invisible walls when trying to build a castle. :-(

Any tips?

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you mean.  Can you elaborate on your problem?  Are you running into invisible walls that shouldn't be there, or are you trying to place some, or something else?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
Maybe you mean only in edit mode? Just leave edit mode and rehost the map, then they will be gone. It can happen when you remove props, that somehow the editor still thinks they are there.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline RipperX

• It is him
  • Earl
  • Renown: 457
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Team Diaperberry
    • View Profile
    • The Official YouTube Channel of Ripper X
Kong Ming,

My goodness man, your guide is basically flawless.  I didn't expect it to be so easy, although I have 1 problem...My map I spent 7 hours on didn't save.  I changed the name of it in scenes and scripts before starting to an awesome custom name, used the "ctrl-e" feature to go in and out of edit mode saving multiple times.  I definitely got the hang of it and thanks to you making Warband maps from now on will be easy, BUT I need to figure out how to save my maps, especially if I'm going to spend all day on one. 

So, please help me on this map not saving issue, other then that, thanks a ton for this guide!

Best,
Ripper X

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
I can't get ladders working in a siege map I'm building. When I raise them, they go up, but I just walk straight through them, also some errors appear on map start and when the ladder is fully raised. Please help!

Offline Darkwulf

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Crusader
    • View Profile
How do you put your map on native so friends and such can test it while you make changes?