Author Topic: Crossbowery: basics and tricks  (Read 41561 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Crossbowery: basics and tricks
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »
Trust me, I have no problem with my accuracy. The better awareness I get from 3rd person have made me play in that perspective for over a year. You'll definitely get used to it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:42 am »
questions :

Is it really better to use weapons in 2hand mode? I use a military pick and it rocks!

what would you loom first? the steel bolts or the xbow itself?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:51 am »
Is it really better to use weapons in 2hand mode? I use a military pick and it rocks!

Depends on your build and playstyle tbh. I have next to no power strike and no wpf, so I'll use the ones in two-handed mode to get some better speed/damage. If you've invested ps, wpf or both into your melee weapon, you can use one-handed weapons better. Less bouncing then.

Xbow if you're gonna use the same for most/all of the time. Steel Bolts if you're gonna change all the time.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:37 am »
ok, thx for the info!

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »
questions :

Actually the answer on your first question was given in guide before you asked it ;)

I'd heirloomed xbows first.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:17 pm »
Excellent guide.
I read it to try to find other xbows weakness and also because i was interested in making one.
The FP view seems really interesting as an xbox user. And i really loved the kick+headshot, one thing i'll never be able to do as an archer. :'(

I'll probably retire my shielder alt and make him a dedicated arbalest user, with a well-made arbalest.

PS : In "Crossbowery : basics and tricks #5", how do you do to gain +7 bolts after shooting one ? :lol:
Edit : Didn't know ! :shock: That's what happens for only joining with a melee weapon, we lack knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:33:59 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »
PS : In "Crossbowery : basics and tricks #5", how do you do to gain +7 bolts after shooting one ? :lol:

It's a duel server, you get your bolts recovered when you win a duel ;)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »
Great guide!

You are well-known sniper crossbowman, Dave, and I respect you very much. I waited months for your crossbowery guide - I just knew you will do it one day and here it is!

One thing I can add about builds:

(speaking to players)

If you are really experienced sniper (definitly not like me) and/or just love being accurate (like me), you can get an awesome 15 str/27agi ~~180 wpf sniper crossbowman.
As Dave commented some time ago, and he is partially right: Why would any crossbowman need 180wpf in crossbows?
Here is the answer: reload speed and accuracy. And the fact Dave may not know or at least didn't mention in guide: more wpf = less time between mouse button pressed and actual shot. Fact visible at most when using sniper crossbow (Arbalest).

I had a screenshot of masterwork and normal Arbalest + ~~170wpf somewhere, will show it here when I find it.

EDIT:

Reticule of Masterwork Arbalest and Arbalest with ~~170 wpf in 3rd person

/\
   ||

It's a sin to miss not moving target at range < 30m. With 180 wpf - not tested by me yet (30 lvl needed. Oh, sweet grind...), but I bet better reload is worth it if you mind melee fights (8 athletics if you hate melee, 5 ps 3 athletics if you can fight melee well)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:01:52 pm by Dravic »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:02 pm »
+1
If you are really experienced sniper (definitly not like me) and/or just love being accurate (like me), you can get an awesome 15 str/27agi ~~180 wpf sniper crossbowman.
As Dave commented some time ago, and he is partially right: Why would any crossbowman need 180wpf in crossbows?
Here is the answer: reload speed and accuracy. And the fact Dave may not know or at least didn't mention in guide: more wpf = less time between mouse button pressed and actual shot. Fact visible at most when using sniper crossbow (Arbalest).

Well, what for would you need 180 wpf? Pinpoint accuracy with no armour doesn't give you a guarantee for headshotting everything. 165-170 is optimal for a sniper (depending on the weight of armour). You lose 6+1 (for WM) skill points for these 3 attributes and extra 10 WPF. This means that you won't have any IF (-4 HP in comparison with my build), you'll sacrifice 5 athletics (from 8 to 3) which makes you VERY slow if you want to wear some armor (and you'll definitely NEED this armour because you have no IF) and you sacrifice your melee wpf, which also makes you almost useless in melee with your 3 athletics and weak short weapon.

The point of my build is not to make a pinpoint super fast crossbow-machine, but to make an effective and versatile both in ranged and melee fights player who can survive an Arbalest shot.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:31:30 pm by DaveUKR »

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:54 am »
Tip:  If you're shooting someone above or below you, the less you have to compensate for trajectory.  Meaning aim lower or even on top of their head depending on how extreme the angle is.  This is in third person, not sure how first person works.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »
Tip:  If you're shooting someone above or below you, the less you have to compensate for trajectory.  Meaning aim lower or even on top of their head depending on how extreme the angle is.  This is in third person, not sure how first person works.

This is already in one of those Mechanics questions.

PS. Added trick "Converting Bolts" and 3 situations "Jammed Crossbow", "Out of Bolts" and "Charging Horseman". Also added some lesser corrections. I think it's done now.

PPS. Sorry guys, admin Espu asked me to take out the trick "Converting Bolts". Join Academy to learn how to do it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:38:11 pm by DaveUKR »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »
Some good advice here. Pictures and videos are always good. The whole FP thing is in my experience highly situational (I use it when aiming up mostly), as well as advising on "only" using 2handers. As I see it, it is one of those things that doesn't matter, neither are clearly better or worse but just like FP it's situational. Anyway, good guide.
Monkeys!

Offline Frankysan

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • PENITENTIAGITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
i hate you on the field, but just made a xbow alt, +1 bar for the good job! :mrgreen:

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:24 pm »
ecxellent guide
visitors can't see pics , please register or login