Author Topic: [Community discussion] What can be improved on Strategus  (Read 19330 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: [Community discussion] What can be improved on Strategus
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »
One downside of putting EU/NA back on the same map would be when you're all crammed into a small area and need to travel to trade, people would be less likely to start wars with neighbors.

Can you elaborate on why people would be less warlike in such a situation?

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:27 pm »
Can you elaborate on why people would be less warlike in such a situation?

When you have to travel to trade and it takes a long time to equip armies, there's greater risk of getting wiped out if you start a war with someone nearby. Then once you don't have a fief it takes even longer to put together an army so when NA was crowded on to a small reservation with not many fiefs to go around, the majority of the players formed a large block in the north and fought against a block in the steppe area, so it really limited options.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »
There is 1 or 2 hours where both EU and NA primetime are superposed.

Wait... what?
NA is 6-10+ hours behind me (EU).
And the russians have wacky timezones also, and there are alot of them playing strat :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:38:30 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
When you have to travel to trade and it takes a long time to equip armies, there's greater risk of getting wiped out if you start a war with someone nearby. Then once you don't have a fief it takes even longer to put together an army so when NA was crowded on to a small reservation with not many fiefs to go around, the majority of the players formed a large block in the north and fought against a block in the steppe area, so it really limited options.

Doesnt this apply even without NA/EU combined on 1 map though? I understand that a bigger player concentration can exacerbate the problem, but isnt that just player conducted diplomacy?  :mrgreen:
I really want to hear every side of the idea, so if you want to elaborate even further (you or someone else) be sure to do so, it really helps me because as I said, I wasnt a big strategus player back then, so I have things to learn!

There is 1 or 2 hours where both EU and NA primetime are superposed.
Wait... what?

When western europe and eastern USA can drain a good number of players, at the same time.
God bless west coast and eastern europe but it would be a bit too far a call to mitigate :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:46:01 pm by Butan »

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 08:49:28 pm »
+1
When western europe and eastern USA can drain a good number of players, at the same time.
I can not persuade players to come to the fight Shiny vs Shiny with 90ping server are you sure that he will come to fight with 200 ping?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:28 pm »
God bless west coast and eastern europe but it would be a bit too far a call to mitigate :mrgreen:

That means the americans would start coming on around 12-1AM. in eu
And then a battle would take 30 minutes to 1+ hour.
You think "normies"can go to bed that late and go back to work early in the morning.
And attacks should realy have to be planned out to catch that 2 hours of "superposed" timezones.  That would mean no more ambush, or catching people on the move.

I mean, i dont care... i play thru the night. My gf been angry at me about it so many times, and i sat thru her bullshit... that she eventually simply gave up caring. But not everyone has that fortitude, it takes dedication man...  :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:54:34 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:05 pm »
I can not persuade players to come to the fight Shiny vs Shiny with 90ping server are you sure that he will come to fight with 200 ping?

Dont forget that under the current example, that would be if you decide to attack a NA faction and are prepared for what it cost you.
Also it would be coupled with other ideas that would auto-persuade players to join and help you, NA players too  :mrgreen:

Also remember we are brainstorming, it is not necesarily what will happen, thats why we discuss.

That means the americans would start coming on around 12-1AM. in eu
And then a battle would take 30 minutes to 1+ hour.
You think "normies"can go to bed that late and go back to work early in the morning.
And attacks should realy have to be planned out to catch that 2 hours of "superposed" timezones.  That would mean no more ambush, or catching people on the move.

I mean, i dont care... i play thru the night. My gf been angry at me about it so many times, and i sat thru her bullshit... that she eventually simply gave up caring. But not everyone has that fortitude  :P

Playing through the night beats pretending to be sick to avoid workday or waking up at 4am though!

Ambush could still happen, heavily depends on what would be primetime for each and everyone. It is still to be decided.

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
Also remember we are brainstorming, it is not necesarily what will happen, thats why we discuss.
instead of looking for ways to attract new players and increase the player base you are trying to find a way to force the remaining play (or adapt the strat at a small number of players) and it makes me sad  :?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 09:30:18 pm »
+1
Dont be sad it makes me sad  :|

Find me a way to make EU/NA combined on 1 map have the less night-workday attack exploits :P

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 09:55:26 pm »
+1
Not sure if someone said this cuz i was too bored to read all the posts but one thing that ive always thought would be badass on strat is boat battles. pls add

Have you played the Viking Conquest mod for M&B Warband? I picked it up for like 2 dollars because steam sale. It has awesome boat fights, you can even steer/move your boat. A lot of people don't like it, but I thought it was pretty good for a single player campaign.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »
Dont be sad it makes me sad  :|

Find me a way to make EU/NA combined on 1 map have the less night-workday attack exploits :P
No  :twisted: seperate NA from EU this is the best that has happened on the strat  :P after forming uif of course  :mrgreen:

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:09 pm »
No  :twisted: seperate NA from EU this is the best that has happened on the strat  :P after forming uif of course :mrgreen:

You have lost allllllll credibility!  :P

If going back to 1 map is so bad it wont be done... But I think it would shake up our world and make things interesting.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 01:59:04 am »
+2
One thing trough, and i hate to say it.. but:
The player base on regular servers is already quite low. If we make it so, that people sole can play strat get ticks/silver etc etc thru there.. even less will play.
To take my own for example. I only play EU1 or EU2 whenever i need more strat ticks, and when i have enough i dont bother.

it would shake up our world and make things interesting.

Dont shake it to hard, you might get some unwanted suprises.  :P

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:23:27 am by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline _RXN_

• Count
  • Renown: 254
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chadzina
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 10:24:42 am »
+5
The player base on regular servers is already quite low.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
The player base on regular servers is already quite low. If we make it so, that people sole can play strat get ticks/silver etc etc thru there.. even less will play.
To take my own for example. I only play EU1 or EU2 whenever i need more strat ticks, and when i have enough i dont bother.

I said that in another thread too.
Noone wants to kill cRPG to make Strategus alive, not even me though I place Strategus above.
My goal is to increase Strategus popularity and leave room to make cRPG benefits from it as well.

Dont shake it to hard, you might get some unwanted suprises.  :P

Most of the changes that will be implemented will only shake Strategus, not change it altogether.
I want to improve the concept, not create a new game  :)
That means less chance for unwanted surprises.