Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 24911 times)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:13 am »
This makes me want to get a MW Longbow and MW bodkins just to make people cry

But I have a MW Arbalest now for next gen, working on scoring some MW steel bolts

Time to fire into melee
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:20 am »
You didn't really disprove the point of the thread:  Ranged users are engaging in extreme homoerotic activities.

Whether you love ranged or not is irrelevant.   :P

P.S.  Whether you can HIDE to avoid ranged fire or not is also irrelevant, the point is that getting hit from ranged weaponry in the ONLY game out with good melee combat instead of the 1000's and 1000's of FPS games out there is gay.  Plainly, simply, fabulously gay.

And you failed to disprove the point of my post: A select group of melee characters can't accept them dying from range when the majority of the damage and deaths taken is from an enemy melee user.

Kesh summarized rather well in the previous post of hers.

Hell, I like melee more then range, I just don't understand how some users complain about it so much, yet do pretty well when I see them play and "deal with it" in an effective fashion (not that you would know from their posts on the forums :lol:).

I did not say hide either. The point is, you will contact with the enemy more often then not. At least I die more often from cav sniping then from range sniping when I hit the enemy, and most of the time I have not even been shot, or are merely missing a small chunk of my health, when I hit my first melee target. Big whoop.

EDIT: I was playing for hours on the 80 man, and during the same times of the OP too. I had an even 1:1 or greater K/D ratio with my Polearm user Fallen_Tears_of_Revelation the whole time at the end of every map. I honestly did not care that much for the amount of range, as it had a minimal impact on my gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:04:06 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:46 am »
Hell, I like melee more then range, I just don't understand how some users complain about it so much, yet do pretty well when I see them play and "deal with it" in an effective fashion (not that you would know from their posts on the forums :lol:).

Oh that's easy though.

I can go fishing and pull catch after catch out just fine.
I can go fishing and do the same while some fuckwit is going "LALALALALALALALALALALALALA" at high volume while dancing around like a jackass in the boat, flicking me in the ears, drooling on himself and generally being a paste eater around me.  Even though I "deal with it" and still do well doesn't mean that I don't hate that piece of shit and plan on bitching about him.   :mrgreen:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 08:11:44 am »
Oh that's easy though.

I can go fishing and pull catch after catch out just fine.
I can go fishing and do the same while some fuckwit is going "LALALALALALALALALALALALALA" at high volume while dancing around like a jackass in the boat, flicking me in the ears, drooling on himself and generally being a paste eater around me.  Even though I "deal with it" and still do well doesn't mean that I don't hate that piece of shit and plan on bitching about him.   :mrgreen:

OK now I am starting to get your point, not a gameplay balance issue just a gameplay irritance issue hehehe. This I can deal with, to each their own. I can respect this.

As for everyone else though who keeps saying "90% of my deaths are from range OP/Nerf/Remove!" You just suck at the game, plain and simple. Go find something easier.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:12:53 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:30 am »
Hey there yanks & hillbillies.....if it's a comfort to you: EU is not any better, we also have like 80% scumchers infesting the battle servers. I agree with Gorath that the problem is the players mentality not the game itself, people just cant move away from the concept of playing FPS and developers can't do much about it, even if they reduced 'em to 1 slot I'm sure they'd find the way to camp roofs and spam zillions of arrows, as soon as the first guy would figure it out hundreds would follow him. It's sad but crying about it won't help.
Also: archers in this game are way too accurate, just spectate any of the "renown" archers shooting and if you have any brains in your head you'll know its a joke, they hit things that are simply impossible to hit, especially x times in a row. Yeah, its a joke even for a computer game.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:54 am »
The Shield nerf only enforced them to multiply, give us back the force field :)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:31 am »
If you don't like ranged play, work on getting a server set up of your own where you can turn on melee only. A thread like this isn't going to do anything to change the situation, take some action.

Personally I love playing a small bow foot archer with 1hand sidearm. I love scoring headshots. I love melee combat. I love playing 2handed on one of my alts, and my main has been dedicated polearms for four of his six generations (1 was archery, 1 was shielding). I wear light armor (pelt coat, red dress), and I don't have any problem whatsoever with ranged, despite the fact that I will die in approximately 1 tenth as many shots as the average STR build player. If there's a group of archers on a team, holing up, that's their prerogative, and I am at no obligation to approach them unguarded, without the support of my teams archers and shields, though I may do so if I wish.

I turned my archer-alt into a horse archer and there is so, so much rage and hate in this game for other classes, and most of it is coming from two-handers. It isn't enough that you can wear huge armor, deal massive damage, use the single best dueling weapons in the game and totally wreck most peoples faces, I guess. As someone who loves the game, from single player vanilla, to Native warband, to cRPG, and appreciates the variety and freedom of different classes, and who completely, completely loves the deep, immersing melee combat system, so simple and yet so filled with nuance, I do not understand why people cannot just accept others playing a class they wish to play, using teamwork to take on harsh odds.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:37 am »
Lots of archers are just there for show; occasionally land an arrow but are generally poor shots with poor situational awareness.  Good archers are just like any other good player at a class; they make the class seem much easier than it actually is. 

There are plenty of counters to archery in game; armor, movement, and shields.  There are a few archers that I simply try to avoid approaching but most others are pretty easy to clean up if you know what you're doing and come with the necessary defenses.

I don't agree with you.
I've made a level 30 archer to try it out and I was almost better than my 2 hander.
I got like 3 headshots in a row on my first try.

The archers that look "bad" are the ones that are not 30 yet.

In my opinion, archery is a support class and should belong to that fact.
The infantry is the heart of an army and without it, you're nothing.
Even in today warfare, have you ever seen a city being captured by tanks and planes? no.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:51:33 am by Joseph »
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 08:50:39 am »
If you don't like ranged play, work on getting a server set up of your own where you can turn on melee only.

It's not about this and you know it.

I have only one question for you and your kind: do you find it normal in a game like this (I'd say in any other game for that matter, but i recon it's kind of normal in games like CoD, CS, etc) to have cca 80% of ranged units on the battlefield most of the time ? Mostly (depending on the map) shooting from roofs, towers and hills that would require alpinistic gear to climb on ? I wont even go into talking about the accuracy & efficiency of this units, that's a story for itself. If you can honestly answer yes to this question then i think we can rest our case.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:46 am »

[...] I will be damned if I have to spend every last point on archer for me to be a proper archer, and then be further penalized with the new slot system, to have you demand that I fight you with my 0 slot weapon at 0PS and 1 wpf just so you can use your dedicated melee to kick my teeth in. Dishonorable my ass, there is nothing honorable about you curbstomping someone who does not even wear proper armor. Even a strongbow user who can afford to take a 1 hander that is real and proper, and invests in power strike, can still not compete properly with an equal skilled melee user.[...]

Dishonorable huh?
Archery and cavalry, has been considered cowardly even by the greeks. (Through history, it's considered dishonorable)
They refused themselves to do it.

What's so honorable about melee?
Both can fight back, not shoot and run.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 09:10:32 am »
Bronze age kiddy diddlers thought it was dishonorable! Best argument ever

The only problem is that this mod attracts people who have unusually high amounts of e-peen and ego wrapped up in their characters, and dying to archers bruises that terribly. The best cadre of archers in this game won't rack up the amount of kills per round that Goretooth alone gets, but people complain as if they do.
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:21 am »
Me and my kind? You mean people who play every single class, have multiple alts, and enjoy the dynamic freedom of personal choice? I can only assume so. I'd have to say yes, I do find it normal, when people so choose to play that way.

This is why I suggest if you do not want ranged, get a server, get it connected to the DB, and have it be melee only, seriously dude, because it's not going away from the game, it might be nerfed again and again, but people will play what they want. And as long as there are people running around without shields, riding cavalry about the map, people are going to want to roll a ranged class.

Personally, when I play archer, I don't perch, but if people want to then there's not much we can do to stop it except for designing maps with this in mind. I am confident in my melee abilities. I stay on the ground, with the rest of my team when possible, as support and bait, and if you get up to me to engage in melee, it's not usually going to be an easy fight.

Offline Appe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:23 am »
These Legolases always think that they're god's gift to earth. Countless times do I fight in melee just to get shot in the head or the back by a friendly archer. Maybe it's because I play in ninja gear so they think I'm a shit peasant and that they can kill me. I think the problem lies in respect, there are no repercussions for tking except for -1 kill. I recently tried some normal warband and I saw that you'll get auto-slayed for teamdamaging your teammates.

I think that this is needed and should be tested so that maybe people will learn to show respect for another. And this goes for all classes not just archers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:14:54 am by Appe »

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:03 am »
You got it wrong 80% is the number of people not playing cav, this whole rage thread is wrong :mrgreen:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
I think that this is needed and should be tested so that maybe people will learn to show respect for another.

I would completely support reflective team damage for ranged, at least. Not melee, personally, though I would also fully, completely support gold and even xp deductions for all team wounding and kills. I am always very, very cautious with my shots and swings, and feel badly when I injure or kill a teammate, and apologize for even glancing blows.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:16:49 am by Malaclypse »